COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mmred
mmred

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

AMG.Tzan wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 13:52
How on earth can the FIA cancel the whole GP weekend because of just ONE person since every single one of the teams are already there and in about 14 hours time FP1 is about to begin??

I find it a bit silly of Mclaren to cause the cancellation of the whole event just for one person being positive to the corona virus!
It s what epidemies imply

Cenzo

In the opinions of prominent doctors, things will last at least two months IF right measures are taken.

PlatinumZealot

Funily enough the infections are probably coming from the flight itself. England has been sending out a lot of infected flights according to reports. Perhaps giving England a pass was not such a good idea after all.

First cases here are coming from English flights. Trump should really reconsider.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

oT v1
oT v1

JonoNic wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 14:27
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Rodak wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 04:09
The NBA (American basketball) has suspended the season until further notice and will not play games after a player on the Utah Jazz team tested positive for Coronavirus. I think F1 is skating on thin ice here and may have to act. Also, Trump has suspended travel between the US and Europe for 30 days; for some reason travel to England is still allowed, although I seem to recollect they are pretty close together and England does have cases.......
England is not in EU amymore lol
So travel via England
ANYONE (apart from US citizens) who has been in those EU countries in the last 14 days will be denied entry. So a German could not circumvent the rule by flying here first. Also I could not fly to a hub in Europe (maybe for a better deal) and continue on to the US.

Edit: I think this is where it would be impossible to engineer a situation where all of the ‘boots on the ground’ staff would remain cleared to travel if restrictions ramp up in other countries.
The Power of Dreams

JonoNic

oT v1 wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote: England is not in EU amymore lol
So travel via England
ANYONE (apart from US citizens) who has been in those EU countries in the last 14 days will be denied entry. So a German could not circumvent the rule by flying here first. Also I could not fly to a hub in Europe (maybe for a better deal) and continue on to the US.
Yet the travelling Englishman could have been sitting next to someone from the EU who could be infected. It's a dumb travel ban
Always find the gap then use it.

Wynters
Wynters

nzjrs wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 13:13
One can experiment exploring the current mutations here https://nextstrain.org/ncov

https://postimg.cc/mzfHy4NZ
Interesting, thank you!

oT v1
oT v1

JonoNic wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 14:45
oT v1 wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
So travel via England
Yet the travelling Englishman could have been sitting next to someone from the EU who could be infected. It's a dumb travel ban
Totally agree, probably a bit of a show for the US public with the election coming around.
The Power of Dreams

Wynters
Wynters

the EDGE wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 12:27
Ebola is a poor example, it is nowhere near as contagious as Covid-19. It may have been more deadly but covid-19 will kill many many more
And yet the varied rate of transmission, put down primarily to the factors I listed, remains a viable example of how the spread is likely to be impacted by different conditions in different countries (for a recent outbreak that's been well studied).

I don't think anyone is comparing mortality rates between the two and saying they are the same, nor final death count.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 14:34
Funily enough the infections are probably coming from the flight itself. England has been sending out a lot of infected flights according to reports. Perhaps giving England a pass was not such a good idea after all.

First cases here are coming from English flights. Trump should really reconsider.
The UK has many fewer cases so far than a number of EU countries, so let's not blame the UK for spreading this thing, thanks.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mmred
mmred

Wynters wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 14:47
nzjrs wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 13:13
One can experiment exploring the current mutations here https://nextstrain.org/ncov

https://postimg.cc/mzfHy4NZ
Interesting, thank you!
I see all the Key mutations come from china... I am puzzled by how It came in Europe so fast... They said It was a german manager travelling After having Met a Shangai One... Wonder if It s a myth.

For sure Italy gas taken tough china-like measures. The rest of Europe should do the same ASAP. They even had more time to prepare everything

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 14:53
PlatinumZealot wrote:

The UK has many fewer cases so far than a number of EU countries, so let's not blame the UK for spreading this thing, thanks.
I am not blaming UK for spreading it. It is spreading everywhere. The spread from UK is underestimated is what I am saying.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 15:01
Just_a_fan wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

I am not blaming UK for spreading it. It is spreading everywhere. The spread from UK is underestimated is what I am saying.
The spreading is occurring through the Shengen group as much as anything, also other countries have hub airports. Places like France that also happens to have a much high cases report so far. So, again, stop suggesting that the UK is an issue. We're to blame for lots of stuff but not this one.

Case numbers as of today: Italy (12 462), France (2 281), Spain (2 140), Germany (1 567), Switzerland (642), Denmark (516), Netherlands (503), Norway (489), Sweden (462), United Kingdom (456), Belgium (314), Austria (246)
France has had 48 deaths, Spain 47, UK 6.
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographi ... ncov-cases

Those high numbers in the heart of the EU - Italy, France, Spain and Germany are the reason the US has closed the door to the EU.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wass85
Wass85

Just my luck this. I've been ill for at least 5 weeks with what I thought was a bad cold then kept dieing down and coming back.

I am flying to Poland on Sunday for a couple of days and trust my luck the cough started getting worse on Monday, ended up getting in the doctors on Tuesday who says I've got a chest infection.

I am not looking forward to this trip whilst I'm ill with a weakened immune system, to top it off I don't think there will be a race.

JonoNic

Just_a_fan wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
The spreading is occurring through the Shengen group as much as anything, also other countries have hub airports. Places like France that also happens to have a much high cases report so far. So, again, stop suggesting that the UK is an issue. We're to blame for lots of stuff but not this one.

Case numbers as of today: Italy (12 462), France (2 281), Spain (2 140), Germany (1 567), Switzerland (642), Denmark (516), Netherlands (503), Norway (489), Sweden (462), United Kingdom (456), Belgium (314), Austria (246)

Those high numbers in the heart of the EU - Italy, France, Spain and Germany are the reason the US has closed the door to the EU.
Dude calm down. The only reason England was mentioned is because the US travel ban was not extended to them. It's not England's fault, it's the US restrictions that are dumb.
Always find the gap then use it.

DChemTech
DChemTech

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 15:10
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

NL just updated to 614 registered cases (the daily update is typically start of afternoon). 5 casualties so far.
RIVM - the Dutch health institute - stated the true number of cases is higher. At this point they cannot test everyone anymore, so it's biased towards people with significant symptoms. People with mild symptoms in self-isolation are likely missed at this point.