COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
izzy
izzy

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

3jawchuck wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 00:28
This also shows how it mutates and spreads: https://nextstrain.org/ncov
oh fabulous! so many people are working on it, it gives you hope

izzy
izzy

Big Tea wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 00:26
There are 4 ways to 'make' a vaccine, and (I think) only one of them is upset by the mutation unless it is a very big step

https://www.vaccines.gov/basics/types

Based on a number of these factors, scientists decide which type of vaccine they will make. There are 4 main types of vaccines:

Live-attenuated vaccines
Inactivated vaccines
Subunit, recombinant, polysaccharide, and conjugate vaccines
Toxoid vaccines

The Ferrari family have promised 10 million to help, and some news items saying 4 F1 teams ready to start production on ventilators
i read they give inactivated ones to adults but kids get a weakened virus. Also it normally takes from March to September to produce it each year :worried:

isn't there a licensing issue for teams to make ventilators? Is this why they're only 'ready' instead of getting on producing them? Tbh i thought it was a bit of politician's pr but that's great if it's actually going to happen

Pyrone89

izzy wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 00:44
Big Tea wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 00:26
There are 4 ways to 'make' a vaccine, and (I think) only one of them is upset by the mutation unless it is a very big step

https://www.vaccines.gov/basics/types

Based on a number of these factors, scientists decide which type of vaccine they will make. There are 4 main types of vaccines:

Live-attenuated vaccines
Inactivated vaccines
Subunit, recombinant, polysaccharide, and conjugate vaccines
Toxoid vaccines

The Ferrari family have promised 10 million to help, and some news items saying 4 F1 teams ready to start production on ventilators
i read they give inactivated ones to adults but kids get a weakened virus. Also it normally takes from March to September to produce it each year :worried:

isn't there a licensing issue for teams to make ventilators? Is this why they're only 'ready' instead of getting on producing them? Tbh i thought it was a bit of politician's pr but that's great if it's actually going to happen
I am sure there

1. Is a emergency act exemption (or if there is not, pass such a law asap pls)
2. There is no company willing to sue you on this, like a PR disaster if you would
3. Any judge will crucify you
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

izzy
izzy

Pyrone89 wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 01:15
I am sure there

2. There is no company willing to sue you on this, like a PR disaster if you would
I wouldn't be sure, honestly, i have family in the NHS they work to standards after past disasters

Pyrone89

izzy wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 01:39
Pyrone89 wrote:
I am sure there

I wouldn't be sure, honestly, i have family in the NHS they work to standards after past disasters
I meant if a company who has the license to a design sues while they at the same time cant provide enough.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

sosic2121
sosic2121

AMG.Tzan wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 14:26
Phil wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 12:20
In regards to China's numbers; I do also question their accuracy. You can only count, what you test. If you don't let people out of their houses, how will you test them? How will they show up in numbers?

However, what is very encouraging is Japan:

Positive cases: 963
Since yesterday: +20
Fatalities: 33
Recovered: 215
Still active: 715
Serious critical: 49
Cases per 1M population: 8

Japan is a country with a population of 126 Million people with 38 Million in the metropolitan area of Tokyo. To only have so few cases is staggering. They also reacted very early, though I don't know to what lengths they have gone.
I don't believe China is lying about the number of infected people...they would have stopped announcing the numbers much earlier than the 80.000 infected they already have announced...this isn't a small number by any means (if you don't compare it to their population of course)!

It's true that you can only count what you test! But same goes for all countries...not everyone that has the symptoms goes to the hospital...he/she just self quarantines until the symptoms go away! But you can count the deaths of those infected...and China has that under control it seems!

Whereas Italy has gone out of control it seems...they have already surpassed China's death toll while having half the number of infected!! And i thought that the situation had stabilized a bit...as for 3-4 days they had around 3500 new infections every day! But yesterday and the day before they had 5000+ and 4000+ new infections respectively! :shock:

Japan's numbers are truly a positive sign! Hopefully Spain, France and the UK won't reach Italy's death and/or infection tally! But seeing China's chart of infections-deaths-recoveries since end of January to now...we need about 2-3 months to see the results of quarantine! :?
If you doubt Chinese numbers, how about South Korea? Number of infected people is falling.
In Iran number of new cases is stable.

In the meantime in Europe and US infection is spreading at incredible rate! Why?
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

hollus

Europe started quite a few days after Iran and South Korea.
If quarantine measures turn out to be effective, Italy will hopefully peak in a couple of days and Spain in about a week from now.

But we all have to get this in our heads: we are reading the newspaper from 10 days ago and it was written based on sources which were half blind.
Rivals, not enemies.

izzy
izzy

Pyrone89 wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 11:17
izzy wrote:
Pyrone89 wrote:
I am sure there

I meant if a company who has the license to a design sues while they at the same time cant provide enough.
Oh yes i see what you mean, tho NHS won't buy them if they haven't been licensed, but they'll fast track it won't they.

And yay now Elon is making them! https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/20/space ... pzDUtbQJKA

timbo
timbo

Phil wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 12:20
In regards to China's numbers; I do also question their accuracy. You can only count, what you test. If you don't let people out of their houses, how will you test them? How will they show up in numbers?

However, what is very encouraging is Japan:

Positive cases: 963
Since yesterday: +20
Fatalities: 33
Recovered: 215
Still active: 715
Serious critical: 49
Cases per 1M population: 8

Japan is a country with a population of 126 Million people with 38 Million in the metropolitan area of Tokyo. To only have so few cases is staggering. They also reacted very early, though I don't know to what lengths they have gone.
I read a report from a person who works in Japan, and while it is only a single report and has to be taken with a grain of salt, paints a not very positive picture.
The said person felt ill, had a fever and went to a hospital. She was tested for flu (negative) and asked if she could be tested for COVID, but was refused and told that only people coming from China are being tested.
So it might well be that the number of cases is underreported.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

izzy wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 13:04
Pyrone89 wrote:
izzy wrote:
Oh yes i see what you mean, tho NHS won't buy them if they haven't been licensed, but they'll fast track it won't they.
And yay now Elon is making them! https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/20/space ... pzDUtbQJKA
The only thing Elon is working on is keeping himself in the news and making vague promises that don't mean anything.

Anyway, F1 teams and Elon's companies (along with many others) could certainly help making stuff for medical supply companies that isn't as sensitive. Ventilator chassis and cases, wiring, storage hardware, tubing, consumables and so on. I guess that is all that will end up happening. I think in the US, calls are being made for stuff like this by local governance anyway.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

izzy wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 13:04
Pyrone89 wrote:
izzy wrote:

A UK company that makes ventilators has said they'll let others make them using their design, so good news there. Of course, whether many can be made in time or have staff trained to use them available is another question.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

izzy
izzy

3jawchuck wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 14:06
The only thing Elon is working on is keeping himself in the news and making vague promises that don't mean anything.

Anyway, F1 teams and Elon's companies (along with many others) could certainly help making stuff for medical supply companies that isn't as sensitive. Ventilator chassis and cases, wiring, storage hardware, tubing, consumables and so on. I guess that is all that will end up happening. I think in the US, calls are being made for stuff like this by local governance anyway.
Elon is someone who's built a million EV's and called everyone to a meeting at 01:00 am on a Sunday and they all came! He's a lot, lot more than a self publicist. He can be wildly over optimistic it's true but sometimes he makes his dreams come true as well. if you want something big to happen ridiculously fast then he is who you'd call

Then yes it might just be parts, but let's see, it'll all help, and with Elon it won't be next month

izzy
izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 14:42
A UK company that makes ventilators has said they'll let others make them using their design, so good news there. Of course, whether many can be made in time or have staff trained to use them available is another question.
oh that's good. Some people i talk to say they're not that complicated really while others are saying they're terribly complicated, perhaps there are different levels that are possible

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

the palliative care doctors are publicising their product .....
bookings taken for surrender of your place in the ICU queue ....

and 'healthcare' officials are proclaiming that 'likelihood of recovery' will govern entry into the ICU

yippee !!
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 21 Mar 2020, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

If there is anyone who can build an identical unit and demonstrate it does not breach a patent it is a F1 team. Lol
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.