COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

To hold a race the paying countries need to have the money to pay for it. With this economic downturn... That might be a littlw difficult.
The other issue is reintroduced infections. Essentially, nearly the whole globe needs to be clear of this virus before international events can be held without infection risk.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

MtthsMlw

For anyone interested:
tomorrow at 19:00UTC the 1986 Australian Grand Prix will be streamed on YouTube.

nzjrs

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
31 Mar 2020, 16:27
To hold a race the paying countries need to have the money to pay for it. With this economic downturn... That might be a littlw difficult.
The other issue is reintroduced infections. Essentially, nearly the whole globe needs to be clear of this virus before international events can be held without infection risk.
I've been thinking that after this, because governments will be pumping money in every place they can, those industries or companies with established governmental funding or support channels will likely come out of this faster and in better health than Joe small business (at least while Goverments don't do helicopter money / UBI style intervention). We kind of know this intuitively - we can all guess which industries are getting bailed out..

Anyway, F1 is hardly mission critical, and it might be bad PR to hold a crowd event where people will get infected, but a completely government funded Grand Prix might have more chance of happening than a privately funded one.

Big Tea

I wonder what is happening with Sky? are they going to be wanting their money back off Fia, and are customers and advertisers going to want their money back off sky
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

kimetic
kimetic

Big Tea wrote: ↑
31 Mar 2020, 16:59
I wonder what is happening with Sky? are they going to be wanting their money back off Fia, and are customers and advertisers going to want their money back off sky
I read that the Sky contract with F1 specifies at least 15 races. After that there must be a reduction, so pressure.

Definitely worth phoning Sky if you're a customer, since they can't fulfill their contract. Must get around to it...

nzjrs

Good interview with Horner on how he thinks things will play out: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52087212

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I'll put this here because there is discussion about what F1 is doing and might do around COVID-19 and the season etc. There is also a question about top 5 drivers but that is incidental. I like both Brundle's and Button's answers as they were both given with reasons why they're not a complete list and it's a silly question anyway.

Let's not go there on the best drivers question please.

My favourite moment is when Jenson shows the guys where he currently keeps his F1 World Championship Trophy. No spoilers from me. =D>

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

etusch

What if there were not so much news on tv about viruses which keeps people concentrated on this ? If you ask me, everyone doing it wrong. Because of economic needs of every company and every people , in some point neither governments nor people will want to keep going to live like this, because it is not susteinable, and they will decide to return normal life and I think as soon as this happens, everything will be as normal as before.

nzjrs

etusch wrote: ↑
31 Mar 2020, 19:25
What if there were not so much news on tv about viruses which keeps people concentrated on this ? If you ask me, everyone doing it wrong. Because of economic needs of every company and every people , in some point neither governments nor people will want to keep going to live like this, because it is not susteinable, and they will decide to return normal life and I think as soon as this happens, everything will be as normal as before.
It's inevitable that governments will start the "how many lives is our economy worth" vs "how many lives lost when no one can work" utilitarian politicking very soon. We should all hope those arguments are made with good data in hand and not had too soon.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Someone will blink first and then others will follow. Once one country has made the decision to go back to economic growth, others will follow very quickly.

Any bets on who's going to be the first to Trump, sorry, blink? :wink: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

etusch

nzjrs wrote: ↑
31 Mar 2020, 20:57
31 Mar 2020, 19:25
It's inevitable that governments will start the "how many lives is our economy worth" vs "how many lives lost when no one can work" utilitarian politicking very soon. We should all hope those arguments are made with good data in hand and not had too soon.
In fact current situation is their guilt. They allow so much news on media which frightened people. so they went hospitals when they feel fever which is not a bad thing in reality (it is just a way that human body fight with toxics in the body) or moved from infected area. If those were not happened maybe there were not going to be so many infection.
For example, in Turkey, deaths were declared more than 200 by now. (1 month period. ) In same period I am sure, much more people dead than that because of other reasons. Death is a part of life.
If there were not so much frightened people , hospitals may be concentrated more on real medical help needs

nzjrs

etusch wrote: ↑ For example, in Turkey, deaths were declared more than 200 by now. (1 month period. ) In same period I am sure, much more people dead than that because of other reasons. Death is a part of life.
If there were not so much frightened people , hospitals may be concentrated more on real medical help needs
In English I'd say "don't count your chickens before they hatch". Time will tell if turkey ends up like Italy, and time will also tell where Italy ends up.

etusch

31 Mar 2020, 21:43
etusch wrote: ↑ For example, in Turkey, deaths were declared more than 200 by now. (1 month period. ) In same period I am sure, much more people dead than that because of other reasons. Death is a part of life.
In English I'd say "don't count your chickens before they hatch". Time will tell if turkey ends up like Italy, and time will also tell where Italy ends up.
Another question is; how many people would die if this countermeasures didn't proceed? More or same?

Looking at life from a different perspective makes you realize that it's not the deer that is crossing the road, rather it's the road that is crossing the forest." - Muhammad Ali

I don't want to say that we should not do any precautionary actions But say that those are not what we have to do.

Big Tea

31 Mar 2020, 22:10
31 Mar 2020, 21:43
Another question is; how many people would die if this countermeasures didn't proceed? More or same?

Looking at life from a different perspective makes you realize that it's not the deer that is crossing the road, rather it's the road that is crossing the forest." - Muhammad Ali

I don't want to say that we should not do any precautionary actions But say that those are not what we have to do.
As one medic put it, we have to distinguish between those that die of Covid19 and those that die with Covid19
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

izzy
izzy

31 Mar 2020, 22:10
more would die without countermeasures, because some people can be saved with intensive care, ventilators, cpap and everything, and we can't all have those at once, and also logically the virus should mutate over time into a less lethal form, and also there will be a vaccine before everybody gets it, if we can slow the spread down