COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

PlatinumZealot

just imagine in highly litigious Nations like the USA there would be lawsuits left right and centre if suspected infectious persons are allowed to work in certain places and cause someone to fall ill. Either way some control measures will be applied somehow.
But it is an interesting notion. Keep the economy running full steam?
Perhaps it's not as simple as just allowing everyone to go to work. Some economies rely on idustries such as tourism, services, exports, that will be stymied by the situation in partnering countries.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Sevach wrote: ↑
01 Apr 2020, 01:18
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/2022 ... 0/4775364/

This is reasonable.
It is reasonable. But how will the FIA police it? How will they know if a team is doing work on the forthcoming regulation change cars?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Just_a_fan wrote: ↑
01 Apr 2020, 11:06

This is reasonable.
It is reasonable. But how will the FIA police it? How will they know if a team is doing work on the forthcoming regulation change cars?
It will be really tough to enforce. I guess the only thing that will hold teams back would be the possibility of their members moving to another team and spilling the beans.

izzy
izzy

This is reasonable.
it sounds reasonable on the surface but i don't see which costs are going to get saved. Staff have to be paid and so do rents and everything, they'll still be busy doing car developing things, running their wind tunnels and computers and workshops, making models. They're not laying people off are they? Anybody understand? It must just mean the 2020/1 cars will be superdeveloped virtually instead of the 2022 cars

hollus

I read that policing would be through the wind tunnels, where every second is filmed. Not sure how they police CFD, though.
Rivals, not enemies.

etusch

Come on they can not even police a pu in front of them.

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

izzy
izzy

FrukostScones wrote: ↑
01 Apr 2020, 16:02
new Regs postponed to 2023?
AMUS:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... ed-bull%2F
what a terrible idea. all these 'frozen' parts is a big step towards spec parts, and anyway how does it reduce costs? Can someone explain? The same number of staff, same buildings, facilities, same new wings, floors, energy bill... what's cheaper? Where do the savings come from? what is it they have to buy less of?

and then there's the whole point that the new cars are supposed to be more raceable, whereas refining the old cars is just going to make them less and less raceable, so according to the theory F1 was working to the sport will become less popular :?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The frozen parts thing is obviously an attempt to prevent Mercedes developing away from RedBull and others. I'm guessing RedBull think they're mechanically close enough and that if they can tweak the aero enough then they can be ahead. Maybe there is a feeling that Mercedes has less leeway in aero. Or maybe it's just that RedBull think they have the Golden Goose in Newey.

RedBull have always been political players.

Phil

The worldwide CFR of Corona fatalities now stands at 4.99% with 885530 positive cases reported and 44215 deaths.

Meanwhile, Italy is probably going to hit 12% by today (numbers will be published around 18:00), Switzerland has increased to 2.6% (17139 positive cases vs 452 fatalities) and Germany has also increased to 1.1% (74508 positive cases vs 821 fatalities). While Germany's numbers are still very low compared to other countries, their deaths have doubled within 4 days while number of positive cases have only increased by ~50% in the same time frame.

I still think there's a definite latency going on there that is making it more difficult to compare countries. It also depends on how many in risk groups are infected. I do also think that the high CFR is influenced by the simply fact that only severe cases are tested and most countries are reaching the limit of who can be tested.

With these increasing numbers, it's hard to imagine going back to reality any time soon. Then there's also the huge economic impact to consider, how many peope have or will lose jobs over this, to the point I'm doubtful we'll see any F1 races this year.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. β€” bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Zynerji

hollus wrote: ↑
01 Apr 2020, 12:52
I read that policing would be through the wind tunnels, where every second is filmed. Not sure how they police CFD, though.
I'm not sure, but honestly, with the new Threadripper and Instinct chips, you can put about 50 TFLOPS in a home desktop now. You would already need to go door-to-door to properly police the CFD rule.

I think the real answer is to move towards a CFD computer sponsor (like the Pirelli model) and have that sponsor keep a computational power balance between the teams without limiting the overall power with some arbitrary number.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote: ↑
01 Apr 2020, 17:25
hollus wrote: ↑
01 Apr 2020, 12:52
I'm not sure, but honestly, with the new Threadripper and Instinct chips, you can put about 50 TFLOPS in a home desktop now. You would already need to go door-to-door to properly police the CFD rule.

I think the real answer is to move towards a CFD computer sponsor (like the Pirelli model) and have that sponsor keep a computational power balance between the teams without limiting the overall power with some arbitrary number.
I thought the teams run semi-bespoke CFD software these days. Would they accept going to a standard supplier? How would they ensure that no-one's data/models slipped out and were seen by other teams? Or do you means they'd each have their own servers but have a central monitoring system?

Jambier

So the idea is:

2020 will likely not happen
2021 will be what 2020 should have been
They hope to keep all F1 teams and avoid departures or bankrut
2022 cars will be an evolution of 2020 cars, so not so expensive
Budget cap will kick in in 2021
2023 car with new regs will be develop under budget cap, so no crazy amount of money

Is that the plan?

PlatinumZealot

FrukostScones wrote: ↑
01 Apr 2020, 16:02
new Regs postponed to 2023?
AMUS:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... ed-bull%2F
LH 9XWDC confimed.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028