COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nzjrs

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Jambier wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 17:57
So the idea is:

2020 will likely not happen
2021 will be what 2020 should have been
They hope to keep all F1 teams and avoid departures or bankrut
2022 cars will be an evolution of 2020 cars, so not so expensive
Budget cap will kick in in 2021
2023 car with new regs will be develop under budget cap, so no crazy amount of money

Is that the plan?
I like this idea.

FrukostScones

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 18:16
FrukostScones wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 16:02
new Regs postponed to 2023?
AMUS:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... ed-bull%2F
LH 9XWDC confimed.
your new number plates? 8)
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 18:16
FrukostScones wrote:
AMUS:
LH 9XWDC confimed.
Or MV 2XWDC just as easily.

If any of the top three have built a head-and-shoulders better car then their drivers have the chance to take both years' titles.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 17:36
Zynerji wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 17:25
hollus wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 12:52
I read that policing would be through the wind tunnels, where every second is filmed. Not sure how they police CFD, though.
I'm not sure, but honestly, with the new Threadripper and Instinct chips, you can put about 50 TFLOPS in a home desktop now. You would already need to go door-to-door to properly police the CFD rule.

I think the real answer is to move towards a CFD computer sponsor (like the Pirelli model) and have that sponsor keep a computational power balance between the teams without limiting the overall power with some arbitrary number.
I thought the teams run semi-bespoke CFD software these days. Would they accept going to a standard supplier? How would they ensure that no-one's data/models slipped out and were seen by other teams? Or do you means they'd each have their own servers but have a central monitoring system?
Only run on in-house, supplied machines.

So AMD might jump in and offer each team a single rack with 5 Petaflops, and 50 workstations with 50 Teraflops, but be able to upgrade and optimize without restrictions as long as all teams are given the same.

Standardizing the software around OpenFOAM might not be terrible, but I would make any plugins shared. No sense starting a spending war on better AI plugin development.

PlatinumZealot

Somehow, I will hazard a guess and say the FLOPS is not a determining factor of success between the top teams. It can be a measure of work done by the computer but not necessarily by the human workers, and thus an expense, but it is a bit cloudy (no pun intended). I suspect the top teams also have some sort of machine learning built in that bypasses a lot of iterations based on previous results... Anyway.. with modern GPU (with tensor cores) technology also, the FLOPS of an old chip is not comparable with the latest chips. The latest chips have short cut certain calculations by using other types. And what Zynergi said, computing horsepower is so easily had these days why it again might not be a big differentiator With that said I think master aerodynamicists and a well calibrated wind tunnels, and rapid manufacturing capacity will always give the big teams the edge.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

etusch

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 22:57
Somehow, I will hazard a guess and say the FLOPS is not a determining factor of success between the top teams. It can be a measure of work done by the computer but not necessarily by the human workers, and thus an expense, but it is a bit cloudy (no pun intended). I suspect the top teams also have some sort of machine learning built in that bypasses a lot of iterations based on previous results... Anyway.. with modern GPU (with tensor cores) technology also, the FLOPS of an old chip is not comparable with the latest chips. The latest chips have short cut certain calculations by using other types. And what Zynergi said, computing horsepower is so easily had these days why it again might not be a big differentiator With that said I think master aerodynamicists and a well calibrated wind tunnels, and rapid manufacturing capacity will always give the big teams the edge.
I think budget limit is not about making teams closer to each other. It is just about keeping Formula 1 alive by making it cheaper to be in

Zynerji

etusch wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 00:22
PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 22:57
I think budget limit is not about making teams closer to each other. It is just about keeping Formula 1 alive by making it cheaper to be in
CFD hardware sponsorship, by definition, would save all teams money.

Increasing the computation power greatly allows small teams to avoid development dead-ends like the big teams do.

CFD should be the rough (relatively speaking) outline of the car, and the wind tunnel should be the finesse of refinement.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

aral wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 14:27

4 cold does not affect the virus as it spread greatly in northern italy during the ski season . and it has also been found that heat has no affect on it either

then there is the issue of masks....it has been repeated ad nauseum, that masks will not stop you getting the virus. it will help prevent an infected person from spreading it, but that is all
I'm afraid neither of those points is entirely accurate.

Temperature and humidity do affect the spread of the virus. Lower humidity and cold/moderate temperatures will allow the virus to survive in-situ on surfaces for longer. The spread in Italy is at least partly attributable to this. That is not to say the virus will not survive in high temperature/high humidity settings, just that it will do so for less time - which ultimately has an effect on transmission potential.

Secondly, the issue of masks. The WHO is propagating this idea to ensure medical professionals have sufficient access to masks, not because they are ineffective at preventing transmission.

If you don't believe me, listen to the opinions of Kim Woo-Joo, a leading expert from South Korea.

The reference to temperature and humidity begins at 10:50.
The reference to masks begins at 15:02.
The rebuttal/interpretation of WHO's stance is at 16:40.

The entire interview is worth watching.

South Korea has some of the best results with respect to containing the outbreak. This in spite of being much "closer" to the epicenter of the outbreak geographically and economically, and having not had to resort to lockdowns.

I'd trust the expertise of professionals with practical experience of pandemics, even if it contradicts consensus opinion.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 01:26
just imagine in highly litigious Nations like the USA there would be lawsuits left right and centre if suspected infectious persons are allowed to work in certain places and cause someone to fall ill. Either way some control measures will be applied somehow.
But it is an interesting notion. Keep the economy running full steam?
Perhaps it's not as simple as just allowing everyone to go to work. Some economies rely on idustries such as tourism, services, exports, that will be stymied by the situation in partnering countries.
Litigation and charges are already being explored in various jurisdictions.

South Africa (attempted murder):
https://www.dailysabah.com/world/africa ... uth-africa

South Korea (willful negligence):
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/se ... r-BB10BrsL

e30ernest
e30ernest

Fulcrum wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 07:51
aral wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 14:27

4 cold does not affect the virus as it spread greatly in northern italy during the ski season . and it has also been found that heat has no affect on it either

then there is the issue of masks....it has been repeated ad nauseum, that masks will not stop you getting the virus. it will help prevent an infected person from spreading it, but that is all
I'm afraid neither of those points is entirely accurate.

Temperature and humidity do affect the spread of the virus. Lower humidity and cold/moderate temperatures will allow the virus to survive in-situ on surfaces for longer. The spread in Italy is at least partly attributable to this. That is not to say the virus will not survive in high temperature/high humidity settings, just that it will do so for less time - which ultimately has an effect on transmission potential.

Secondly, the issue of masks. The WHO is propagating this idea to ensure medical professionals have sufficient access to masks, not because they are ineffective at preventing transmission.

If you don't believe me, listen to the opinions of Kim Woo-Joo, a leading expert from South Korea.

The reference to temperature and humidity begins at 10:50.
The reference to masks begins at 15:02.
The rebuttal/interpretation of WHO's stance is at 16:40.

The entire interview is worth watching.

South Korea has some of the best results with respect to containing the outbreak. This in spite of being much "closer" to the epicenter of the outbreak geographically and economically, and having not had to resort to lockdowns.

I'd trust the expertise of professionals with practical experience of pandemics, even if it contradicts consensus opinion.
I would hope that heat helps mitigate the virus indeed.

My country is hot (we're hitting the mid 30's now) and humid. However, with the very limited testing our government is doing, we're now up to 2300+ cases. We've been on almost full lockdown for almost 4 weeks now and several of our major hospitals in the city are now at full capacity. As the weather gets hotter, I'm really hoping the spread would decrease substantially.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

e30ernest wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 07:59

I would hope that heat helps mitigate the virus indeed.

My country is hot (we're hitting the mid 30's now) and humid. However, with the very limited testing our government is doing, we're now up to 2300+ cases. We've been on almost full lockdown for almost 4 weeks now and several of our major hospitals in the city are now at full capacity. As the weather gets hotter, I'm really hoping the spread would decrease substantially.
Every article I've read suggests the virus is capable of surviving for hours, and days on certain mediums, irrespective of the climatology; but the number of hours/days has been suggested as being reduced for hot/humid climes.

Unfortunately, temp/humidity aren't going to mitigate spread substantially. Human interactions while carriers are asymptomatic are by far the strongest vectors for transmission, hence lockdowns present as being the most effective form of containment - especially when case values explode, making contact tracing less viable.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

South Korea was just faster in response when China took action in Januari. Tracking down and isolating carriers before large scale spreading could start.

Europe was just as vunarable, but only started taking large measures in Februari. Allowing the virus to spread by during spring holiday and big carnaval and sport events. (With hindsight) we were to late. But locking down travel and social events is still far more effective, no matter how long the virus survives on surfaces.

subcritical71

Fulcrum wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 07:51
My hope is for the future is that if the WHO declares a pandemic that western governments will be able to implement some of the procedures that South Korea implemented. Tracking apps and surveillance review to get as many possible infected off the streets. Its incredible that we have the technology to do this but are held up on the politics. South Korea should be the example of how to handle future pandemics.

That is just my rant. I did come across this article at work and thought I would pass it along. Its long and out of date (26 March 2020) but has some great information.
https://icsb.org/wp-content/uploads/202 ... -1.pdf.pdf

Sevach
Sevach

FrukostScones wrote:
AMUS:
Reportedly Red Bull is all for it, Ferrari against further delay.
Nothing said about Mercedes.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Sevach wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 19:46
FrukostScones wrote:
AMUS:
Reportedly Red Bull is all for it, Ferrari against further delay.
Nothing said about Mercedes.
My guess is that RedBull think they're right in there with this year's car and therefore next year and the following if possible. They'll want to maximise their chances if that's so. A new set of rules, especially ones that are heavily defined in aero terms, plays against them.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.