[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
willmesquita

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Great year guys. Thank you for all insights, all information and all discussion. This forum is amazing!
2021 will be better for us!
I will miss Carlos and MCL35.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

It’s been a difficult and depressing year all around the world, everyone of us has been affected one way or the other. It’s a nice way to end the year. The team hit rock bottom not that long ago and it looked like the beginning of the end. Who would have thought that a combination of a burly American, a teenage driver, a mid twenties journeyman driver, whom it seemed nobody wanted would kickstart the rival. Big congrats to every single team member, all of whom knuckled down after 2018 to bring the team to P3. I’d like to say thanks to all the fans on here, who take the time to post, bring opinions and show passion for this team. I’ve got to say, you guys helped make this year a lot more bearable. Hoping we all have an end of year like McLaren did, and a much more successful 2021!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

adrianjordan

McL-H wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 20:39
Is it just me or does it feels as if we have won the championship? The race is long over and I’m still ecstatic. Seidl and Brown are the best thing that could have happened to McLaren after the Ron Dennis era. I picture Ron must be proud to see the team making huge leaps forward every year. In a while we’ll be back at where Dennis brought the team in the 80’s and 2000’s. We will be back fighting at the top. Those Dennis’ days will come back under Seidl and Brown. Although, with a much better atmosphere. The team seems so fresh, there is such a positive vibe. Yet, with still the very professional McLaren DNA. I am looking forward to all that is yet to come.

It has been very tough years for us. But I have always stayed proud of being a McLaren fan. And my trust in the team over the years has definitely paid off. They didn’t let us down! And with the team we have in place, and Daniel joining us next year, I am sure big things are yet to come.

First, let’s defend P3 next year. Our competitors will be back stronger. We’ll have our hands full against the W11. And Ferrari will be much better than they’ve been this year with their completely new engine. It will be tough!
Ron is probably not happy that barely anything is grey any more.

As for W11?? Merc will likely call next year's car the W12 (their social media spoke of the final race for the W11) and I don't think we can expect to be fighting with Merc next season anyway.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

McL-H
McL-H

adrianjordan wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 23:48
As for W11?? Merc will likely call next year's car the W12 (their social media spoke of the final race for the W11) and I don't think we can expect to be fighting with Merc next season anyway.
Well, some people called this years W10 the RP20. But that doesn’t make it so :wink:

Darth-Piekus

Did everyone else leave and we decided to celebrate alone or something?

Mansell89
Mansell89

Just also a word for Carlos Sainz, who I think has been an absolute revelation for our team since he joined. Cast your mind back to Alonso leaving and two new drivers coming- there were lots of worries.

Carlos has been ultra consistent, appears to be a fantastic feedback driver, and has brought a brilliant harmony with engineers and Lando.

Thankfully Daniel Ricciardo is the perfect guy incoming as Carlos heads to a new chapter at Ferrari and I actually think both drivers are ideal for both teams in this point of their journeys.

I really do wish Carlos well and for sure he and Charles will be a very racey pairing for an improving Ferrari!

Hopefully we will battle with them near the front of the grid :)

Cheers Carlos- you’ve been an absolute pleasure!

Emag
Emag

I caught something from Ted's Notebook. Otmar said that the only "just" thing would be for Carlos to be thrown out of the race (Incident was still under investigation at this point)

To me that's just cynical, unprofessional and you come out like a sore loser to be honest. Both drivers made no such comments. Perez congratulated McLaren and Stroll admitted that what Sainz did on the pitlane did not really impact him that much.

It just shows a lack of integrity and sportstmanship, especially considering the fact that McLaren has had no shame in admitting that their car hasn't been as fast as RP, but the most important thing. When things have gone wrong for their competitors, they have shown empathy. And when things have gone wrong for them, they have focused on themselves.

And that comment from Otmar really summs up the general vibe I get from that team. There are a lot of good people working there, but the management is honestly just full of distasteful people. They were very dislikeable this year in particular after their cocky comments in the earlier part of the season. You had to be blind to not see that their car was literally a Mercedes copy, yet they never truly accepted it (in their words, they just took inspiration from the best team). But the worst thing was them putting down other teams that worked hard on their own concepts ...

Honestly, I know they have the money now, but money isn't everything (look at Ferrari ...) The quality of the team is very important, and when I look at RacingPoint, I don't see a quality team (at least the management). I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion.

diffuser

Emag wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 02:23
I caught something from Ted's Notebook. Otmar said that the only "just" thing would be for Carlos to be thrown out of the race (Incident was still under investigation at this point)

To me that's just cynical, unprofessional and you come out like a sore loser to be honest. Both drivers made no such comments. Perez congratulated McLaren and Stroll admitted that what Sainz did on the pitlane did not really impact him that much.

It just shows a lack of integrity and sportstmanship, especially considering the fact that McLaren has had no shame in admitting that their car hasn't been as fast as RP, but the most important thing. When things have gone wrong for their competitors, they have shown empathy. And when things have gone wrong for them, they have focused on themselves.

And that comment from Otmar really summs up the general vibe I get from that team. There are a lot of good people working there, but the management is honestly just full of distasteful people. They were very dislikeable this year in particular after their cocky comments in the earlier part of the season. You had to be blind to not see that their car was literally a Mercedes copy, yet they never truly accepted it (in their words, they just took inspiration from the best team). But the worst thing was them putting down other teams that worked hard on their own concepts ...

Honestly, I know they have the money now, but money isn't everything (look at Ferrari ...) The quality of the team is very important, and when I look at RacingPoint, I don't see a quality team (at least the management). I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion.
Don't forget that he's probably gutted.

I don't like their driver line up. But from what I hear, Vettel was a Merc request.

Doesn't Stroll have Wolff's ear?

CjC
CjC

diffuser wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 03:52
Emag wrote:

Don't forget that he's probably gutted.

I don't like their driver line up. But from what I hear, Vettel was a Merc request.

Lawrence Stroll’s ear?
Yea I’d imagine so considering Wolff has shares in the team :roll:
Just a fan's point of view

mclaren111

_cerber1 wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 17:34
bauc wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 17:28
BIG BIG BIG CONGRATS to the hole Mclaren team about a stellar season... yes we had a lot of up's and down's but I think we deserved this P3 in the constructors championship, its extra sweet as we've done it with a car that was designed and produced by us......

I'm lookin forward to next year with Danny RIC coming to the team and a reunion of the Mclaren and Mercedes brands.....

I would also like to congratulate everyone here on this forum who supports Mclaren and who are faithful to this team no matter what. I've been with this team since 1997 and I'm not going to quit till I die... in good times and in bad times ... we win and we loose together...

WE WILL WIN AGAIN!

MCLAREN!
=D> =D> =D>
=D> =D>

I'm a supporter since 1988... Senna's first year... What a Year that was... =P~ =P~

Herr_Koos

This is mega, guys. I'm so happy for the team. After Sakhir I thought we were out of the running for P3, but what a way to bounce back. The future is bright, the future is orange.

billamend
billamend

diffuser wrote:
Reportedly they're best buddies.
Last edited by billamend on 14 Dec 2020, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

bauc

billamend wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 11:28
diffuser wrote:
Reportedly they're big buddies.
Wolf has shares in Aston Martin I think as well, but this should not scare us... if we do our homework we can beat anyone ...
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

thestig84
thestig84

Emag wrote:

I caught that too, couldn't quite believe his tone. Think Ted wasn't sure how to take it either...he chuckled a bit thinking it was a joke but then Otmar made it clear it wasn't!

On that theme Lando did a live stream during packup. A Renault mechanic came up and said well done, so glad you got 3rd instead of RP. So clearly they haven't won many fans in the paddock either.

Balalu
Balalu

How much in bed Wolf/Mercedes and Racing Point are does worry me.

I am pretty sure there is a lot going on behind the scenes, some of which came out for everyone to see. But anyone with a couple of functioning brain cells knows there is more.

I hope at least McLaren are treated fairly and professionally.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen