2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

CjC wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 17:15
mwillems wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 15:59
CjC wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 14:31
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/norr ... s-showing/

Good read.

I read a comment by a reader on another article from ‘the race’ who likened Piastris current form is akin to his compatriot who he replace which I think is mighty harsh on Oscar. He’s a rookie and the drive he replaced had 10? Years experience when he went to McLaren? It’s not a fair comparison if you ask me.
It's an interesting take. Last year Lando got 122 points to his partners 37. This year Oscar is around about half the points of Lando, his race pace having dropped off a little over the last few races.

In Lando's first season he got around half the points of Carlos Sainz, the next season Lando was close to Sainz on points. So you'd like to think that year 5 Lando is significantly better than Year 2 Lando. With that in mind, Oscar's points haul in his first year is pretty damn good if you consider that Lando is on race pace one of the best.

Personally I am unconcerned with his trajectory, it is clear that he is growing very fast.

Edit: I just looked at the results and others may be being harsh on Piatsri, his finishes recently have been OK, and overall he has had 3 retirements to Lando's 0.

https://i.ibb.co/SBSBtJ6/Screenshot-202 ... 140333.png
Also the sprint weekends hinder a rookies learning considerably these last 2 seasons so will effect their overall points total. Oscars rookie season has been at a disadvantage compared to Landos rookie season… like ever we can’t directly compare
You are right, making comparisons between drivers using “points” from different seasons to argue performance it’s flawed… Unluckily looking at just points takes all context out of the analysis, more importantly the car performance in those season versus the rest of the grid… Today, getting a good result and good amount of points with the current MCL60 is easier than last season, similar could be argued of the MCL34 which was only an upper midfield car… And that could be applicable to any pairing of drivers.

Oscar is doing a great job for a rookie and it’s showing glimpses of excellence at the same time… He has had great weekends and not so great ones, more experience will simply help reduce the gap between the good days and the bad ones.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Seems that most people will do two stops with two stints on softs. Most people on used soft for the start - even though they have it.

I guess that is one less.

Darth-Piekus

I havent seen someone end his race since Coulthard back in 2001.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 19:01
CjC wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 17:15
mwillems wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 15:59

It's an interesting take. Last year Lando got 122 points to his partners 37. This year Oscar is around about half the points of Lando, his race pace having dropped off a little over the last few races.

In Lando's first season he got around half the points of Carlos Sainz, the next season Lando was close to Sainz on points. So you'd like to think that year 5 Lando is significantly better than Year 2 Lando. With that in mind, Oscar's points haul in his first year is pretty damn good if you consider that Lando is on race pace one of the best.

Personally I am unconcerned with his trajectory, it is clear that he is growing very fast.

Edit: I just looked at the results and others may be being harsh on Piatsri, his finishes recently have been OK, and overall he has had 3 retirements to Lando's 0.

https://i.ibb.co/SBSBtJ6/Screenshot-202 ... 140333.png
Also the sprint weekends hinder a rookies learning considerably these last 2 seasons so will effect their overall points total. Oscars rookie season has been at a disadvantage compared to Landos rookie season… like ever we can’t directly compare
You are right, making comparisons between drivers using “points” from different seasons to argue performance it’s flawed… Unluckily looking at just points takes all context out of the analysis, more importantly the car performance in those season versus the rest of the grid… Today, getting a good result and good amount of points with the current MCL60 is easier than last season, similar could be argued of the MCL34 which was only an upper midfield car… And that could be applicable to any pairing of drivers.

Oscar is doing a great job for a rookie and it’s showing glimpses of excellence at the same time… He has had great weekends and not so great ones, more experience will simply help reduce the gap between the good days and the bad ones.
Yes it is flawed, but that doesn't mean you can ignore it either, you simply can't make a definitive statement. None the less, you can certainly see that there is a lot of reason to look at this year in a positive light.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Amazing start from Lando!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Damn what a start.

Now we have a race. Let's see whether we can push Verstappen.

Slahinki
Slahinki

What a mega start by Norris! Wow!

Ben1980
Ben1980

Piastri hit.

Marc.W

P6 to P2 before T1, amazing start

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Did luck finally favored us a bit today?… Great run from Lando, all damage done in Qualifying is now mute

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Piastri was hit in the rear.

Rear wing was flexing heavily, very close.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 05 Nov 2023, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

sjy1969
sjy1969

Oscar out 😞

Xero

mwillems wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 19:04
Amazing start from Lando!
Dream start. Now he can fight Max.

Oscar out with broken rear wing, such bad luck!

organic

Piastri damaged yea

sjy1969
sjy1969

Or maybe not...
Red flag