2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

LionsHeart wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 16:59
Not a bad race, just lacked pure pace. Lando was unable to take 4th place in the individual standings, but the team is confidently in 4th place in the constructors' cup! That's important. Considering the first third of the season, it was an impressive progress over the course of the season. Lando and Oscar, who previously could only claim a few points at best, started to fight for podiums frequently. The off-season is a good way to recharge the batteries, and for the team to prepare an updated car for 2024 that will be fighting in the top3 from the first races of the season.

The team has a lot of data on the car's strengths and weaknesses, so once again I'll trust the words of Stella, who previously said he was happy with the numbers he saw in the development of the 2024 car. I'm sure the car will be thoroughly redesigned to address weaknesses and tighten up strong traits. In qualifying the car looks competitive, but in the race tire wear and overall pace need to be improved. Chassis balance and handling and other little things need to be improved.

I'd like to hear soon about Lando's contract extension with McLaren. That's the point that's been bugging me. Thanks to all the McLaren fans. It's nice to read and see that the team has a lot of fans who are hungry for wins.
If we take another step forward next year, there is no doubt he will extend. But we've been in this position of promise then underdelivered the year after before, so I understanding why he's waiting. Not a concern for me at the moment, its not like his deal expires at the end of 24

Darth-Piekus

Would I ask for too much if we start beating Verstappen next year? Can the team make the field chase them for once since 1998?

McL-H
McL-H

We’ve had an amazing season, guys! It started horrible but we remained to stand behind the team and they absolutely delivered. We set the fastest pitstop record, got a sprint win on merit, achieved a front row lockout and a dozen of podiums in what was the most dominating season of 1 team ever. And according to the team there is even more to come next year. Looking forward to meeting you guys again come winter testing.

Darth-Piekus

We got to outdevelop Red Bull at winter. I dont want to see another year like this. We are the only ones that can do it. I dont think Ferrari and Mercedes are capable of challenging Red Bull with how they operate. I want us to beat Max and see how he can cope not having the best car by a mile.

Slahinki
Slahinki

Not the final race we were all hoping for, but what a season it's been! See ya'll next year for preseason testing!

ScottR267
ScottR267

Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 17:58
We got to outdevelop Red Bull at winter. I dont want to see another year like this. We are the only ones that can do it. I dont think Ferrari and Mercedes are capable of challenging Red Bull with how they operate. I want us to beat Max and see how he can cope not having the best car by a mile.
Mate I appreciate you’re an ardent McLaren fan but come on a little sense of realism too.

We all, myself included want to see McLaren back on top, however to rule out certainly Mercedes is ridiculous! Have they struggled under the new regulations……yes, however they also despite this have finished above McLaren in both seasons of the new regs and have 2 great drivers. This the same Mercedes who have had 7 drivers titles and 8 constructors titles…..think they know how to win

Ferrari, yes I can see the point as strategy and development for them has been a little erratic. In saying that who knows what Fred can do there…..

hollus

So, what’s everyone’s opinion on this? Equalized or beaten?
D-P had his mind made up for equalized at the time of asking, so I guess we are 1-1?
hollus wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 00:26
Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 00:07
Anyway something that I wonder and wanted your opinion. Come tomorrow unless nothing changes Max will get the win and Red Bull with 22/23 will equalise the old MP4-4 record from 1988 of 15/16. So does that make RB19 a more successful car just because 22/23 make a 94,5% compared to the 93,8% from the 15/16 or records are not counted like that?
Isn’t it black and white? All races but one is better the more chances there were to miss it, and 95.x% is better than 93.x%.
IF it happens.
Rivals, not enemies.

Darth-Piekus

I understand what you mean but I have a feeling that both Ferrari and Mercedes dont seem to know what to do to get on top anymore. We got to get to that top cause I am tired of seeing the arrogance of the Bulls and the overestimation of Max. As for your question Hollus I think the MP4-4 technically lost to only one race while the RB19 lost to a sprint also if we count them as races.

organic

hollus wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 18:24
So, what’s everyone’s opinion on this? Equalized or beaten?
D-P had his mind made up for equalized at the time of asking, so I guess we are 1-1?
hollus wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 00:26
Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 00:07
Anyway something that I wonder and wanted your opinion. Come tomorrow unless nothing changes Max will get the win and Red Bull with 22/23 will equalise the old MP4-4 record from 1988 of 15/16. So does that make RB19 a more successful car just because 22/23 make a 94,5% compared to the 93,8% from the 15/16 or records are not counted like that?
Isn’t it black and white? All races but one is better the more chances there were to miss it, and 95.x% is better than 93.x%.
IF it happens.
Pretty obvious to me that it's another statistic fallen to rb19/max

Darth-Piekus

Well technically dont we want to count sprint races also since they are official races and Red Bull lost some of them. Red Bull had 22/23 races and 6/7 Sprint Races so they had two losses compared to one loss of Mclaren. I mean they are official races that give points right?

haza
haza

Right then season summary as I expected when the team announced they wasn’t happy with there car at the launch I predicted them to quietly bring the fixes and be up there with redbull towards the end of the season to a degree I was correct though most at the time thought I was smoking something wack until silverstone that is, piastri shows he is able to quickly adapt as has been the case in his f3 and f2 career his race pace isn’t quite there yet but I expect next year to be even closer between Norris and piastri, Norris is showing his talent but is also showing mistakes when it matters (quali) he is in a position where he can challenge for pole so naturally he’s going to push that bit more but for next season he needs to find the middle ground between pushing the limit and knowing the limit.

As for next season McLaren with the new wind tunnel simulator facilities have everything they need to bring it to the top they showed they can close the gap still using the cologne facilities and with everything in house they have everything they need I think they will be very quick next year quicker then most expect they have a very good understanding of these rules now and 2 solid drivers if we replicate this latter half of this season at a minimum for the whole season redbull will need to rely on both drivers to score from a constructors stand point

Darth-Piekus

How much time does Mclaren need to gain in order to have the car that will set up the pace?

organic

Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 20:18
How much time does Mclaren need to gain in order to have the car that will set up the pace?
Impossible to say since you don't know how far others will step forwards. Improve 1 second over the current car and they'd probably be the quickest but we still can't conclude that for sure

_cerber1

Points - 302;
Win - 0;
Win to sprint - 1;
Pole position - 0;
Pole position to sprint - 2;
Podium - 9;
Podium to sprint - 4;
Best lap - 3;
Pit-stop - 1.80 (WR);
Driver of the day - 5 (Lando), 2 (Oscar);
3(!!!) engine for Lando.

When will the 2024 winter tests start?

Oleo
Oleo

Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 18:46
Well technically dont we want to count sprint races also since they are official races and Red Bull lost some of them. Red Bull had 22/23 races and 6/7 Sprint Races so they had two losses compared to one loss of Mclaren. I mean they are official races that give points right?

Technically? Technically it is a sprint session and not a race. All official races have a 305 km distance, monaco excluded.