2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

BMMR61 wrote:
05 Oct 2024, 20:20
mwillems wrote:
05 Oct 2024, 10:46
We were 3rd,4th,5th,4th in the previous 4 constructors. The development of the previous 18 months is a rapidly improving trajectory having been consistently fighting in the midfield and not really progressing after the dismal Honda years, until last years Austria update.
Some people need to be reminded of this when they criticise the team. The progression shows what is possible in engineering terms as well as how difficult it is to do so. 6th, 4th, 3rd , 4th, 5th, 4th from the first Renault year (2018) to last year revealed the weaknesses, the fall to 4th and 5th in 2021 and 2022 put the recovery of the previous years in question. Throughout the earlier recovery was an inconsistency showing they had not yet fully understood their platform. The wind tunnel and the removal of one of the senior engineering staff has proved part of the most recent return to glory days. I haven't seen it discussed but Lando's Austrian clash with Max is the team's only DNF this year and the unfortunate clash with Sainz at Miami the only other time McLaren didn't score points.
Nobody has questioned the quality of the car or the drivers ability to bring the car home, only some of the strategy and driving. Just because we had a sh*t car 8 years ago has nothing to do with what the team are doing this year. fighting at the front of midfield for a few years doesn't mean you forget when is the right time to pit a driver or how to manage your first corner and first lap.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
05 Oct 2024, 21:05
BMMR61 wrote:
05 Oct 2024, 20:20
mwillems wrote:
We were 3rd,4th,5th,4th in the previous 4 constructors. The development of the previous 18 months is a rapidly improving trajectory having been consistently fighting in the midfield and not really progressing after the dismal Honda years, until last years Austria update.
Some people need to be reminded of this when they criticise the team. The progression shows what is possible in engineering terms as well as how difficult it is to do so. 6th, 4th, 3rd , 4th, 5th, 4th from the first Renault year (2018) to last year revealed the weaknesses, the fall to 4th and 5th in 2021 and 2022 put the recovery of the previous years in question. Throughout the earlier recovery was an inconsistency showing they had not yet fully understood their platform. The wind tunnel and the removal of one of the senior engineering staff has proved part of the most recent return to glory days. I haven't seen it discussed but Lando's Austrian clash with Max is the team's only DNF this year and the unfortunate clash with Sainz at Miami the only other time McLaren didn't score points.
Nobody has questioned the quality of the car or the drivers ability to bring the car home, only some of the strategy and driving. Just because we had a sh*t car 8 years ago has nothing to do with what the team are doing this year. fighting at the front of midfield for a few years doesn't mean you forget when is the right time to pit a driver or how to manage your first corner and first lap.
I agree that the big weakness is strategy. I was furious when they undercut Oscar at Hungary discerning the potential crisis it could (and did) produce. To add insult to injury Randy Singh was selected to go to the podium presentations when it was his department that screwed up (and continue to screw up).

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

mwillems wrote:
This is true, but the groundwork has been a little longer term - the wind tunnel and recruitment of key staff etc.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.