2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

what a tremendous final lap by Max

1.3s from Max to checo :shock: that is rather large. Massive push at the end

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Devastation by the dutch one. A frightening lap.

organic

Quotes from Ver post quali

post-quali interview
“It was a very tricky qualifying starting with very slippery conditions. And, keeping out of trouble. Then we went on slicks and there was one dry line and you had to take big risks out there”

“The pressure is always there to perform, but when you can pull it off, it's great”
press conference
"It was easy to make mistakes, especially on the new asphalt of the 1st and 3rd sector. Initially I didn't think it would be dry enough for the slicks, but I was wrong. With the red flags the track dried again and the dry trajectory has widened."

"On my last lap I braked a little late in turn 1. But for the rest of the lap I felt at ease with the car."

Sieper

Max was also really happy with his lap. Not often that you hear him like that.

He had to correct quite a lot out of the first banked corner, but did that very wel to be able to get on the gas quite quickly anyway, and then the limits he sought on the high speed entry and also apexes, so close to the grass. Oomph.

Really impressive.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 17:10
KimiRai wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 17:07
organic wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 17:00
This was another weekend with conditions that don't favour the car. Dry conditions would be better. And the race pace will likely be better than quali; Albon should fall back and Alonso may be able to fight for p3 maybe even p2. Depends on how quick Perez/Piastri are behind
Do you have top speeds?
It's not ideal as some have been knocked out and so different conditions / drs was enabled but it has representative comparison between top 10

https://i.imgur.com/QHR5UJa.png

Williams/Albon are not a rocketship on the straights this weekend
Hmm, did RB change something with the downforce setting for Saturday?

There topspeeds increased by a significant amount from Friday to Saturday. In brief, this is unusual.

They were doing 315 in FP1. Then to 318 in FP2, and now 326 in Q3.... That gap from FP2 to Q3 is large.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Upon further investigation, this is remarkable:

I have overlayed the following 3 laps

1) 2022 Q3 lap with medium downforce wing - 327km/h top speed
2) 2023 FP2 lap with high downforce wing - 318 km/h top speed
3) 2023 Q3 lap with high downforce wing - 326 km/h (328 at one point according to Organic)

Do you guys think it's beam wings that changed over night? I'll be honest, I'm terrible with identifying those :lol:

Otherwise, these results don't make sense.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 17:37
Upon further investigation, this is remarkable:

https://i.postimg.cc/L5PLZhPT/image.png

Organic do you think it's beam wings? I'll be honest, I'm not good with those :lol:
Yea it's gotta be. Their high downforce setup has been pretty bad in terms of drag since beginning of 2022.

I was also very surprised to see RB near the top of that chart... Only bettered by Ferrari who aren't running their high Dwf rear-wing

The only change to their high df package is the new beamwing. I believe based on closeup images that new BW is modified version of the previous high dwf BW. So I don't think this is like a new medium downforce bw or anything. Must just be optimization of the cambers to create better efficiency.

I think the general thinking is that beamwings don't change top speed a huge amount, but Ferrari's telemetry at Silverstone when they were A/Bing their low against medium downforce BWs showed quite a difference. Maybe they're quite sensitive on 2023 cars, causing the sort of change we've seen with RB here?
Last edited by organic on 26 Aug 2023, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc90

Sandbags? (someone had to say it!)

Sieper

No, max already said it yesterday post FP2. When asked worried, answer was no, other teams were on higher power settings. They are just very conservative with the engine on Friday.

organic

Sieper wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 18:46
No, max already said it yesterday post FP2. When asked worried, answer was no, other teams were on higher power settings. They are just very conservative with the engine on Friday.
Right but compare their high dwf straightline speed with others since the beginning of the year in qualifying, and RB have made a significant step forward this weekend. RB have never before had such a top speed advantage whilst running high DWF. At mexico they achieved it by running a single beamwing with high DWF wing. At Zandvoort last year they used the max DWF beamwing with the medium RW.

This weekend they bring a new beamwing and this new characteristic appears, which is now creating the same aero behaviour that RB exhibits at other downforce levels already? It can't be coincidence!

If you look at the official speedtrap data, RB are such outliers considering Ferrari literally used their medium downforce rear-wing

Sieper

Could be, you pay closer attention to this than me. Maybe they have been able to optimize it now also with the high DF wing.

organic

some comments from Toto today 💀
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff was asked what he made of such a big gap between two drivers in the same car, and he called it “odd” and “bizarre.”
“Checo’s not an idiot,” Wolff added. “We have seen in all these years Checo is a grand prix winner, multiple grand prix winner, and he was at Racing Point, so I cannot comprehend (it).
“We’ve seen that Max has destroyed every single teammate that was with him, whether it’s his ability to create a car around himself, that is just very tricky to control but fast if you can, and that creates those gaps.
“The 1.3, but I haven’t heard any obvious explanations. But yeah. Odd.”
https://theathletic.com/live-blogs/f1-r ... 4pyzkIDSX/

Meanwhile Marko has been told off by Horner for questioning Perez's place :D

chrisc90

organic wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 19:29
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff was asked what he made of such a big gap between two drivers in the same car, and he called it “odd” and “bizarre.”
“Checo’s not an idiot,” Wolff added. “We have seen in all these years Checo is a grand prix winner, multiple grand prix winner, and he was at Racing Point, so I cannot comprehend (it).
“We’ve seen that Max has destroyed every single teammate that was with him, whether it’s his ability to create a car around himself, that is just very tricky to control but fast if you can, and that creates those gaps.
Toto should worry about his own team-mates short-comings first rather than worry about others first.

organic

chrisc90 wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 19:32
organic wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 19:29
Toto should worry about his own team-mates short-comings first rather than worry about others first.
He must've been asked about it

chrisc90

Be interesting for a link to the interview so we can get the full context.