Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Unc1eM0nty

Re: Ferrari SF-24

That rake is just wild, like some flaming hot rod detail =D>

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Undercut is enormous from this angle:

It just looks like a fully floating sidepod.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Something that today's AMUS article referenced is that RB have likely found the "maximum" downforce they can generate before they think porpoising will set in, so to find downforce they have to go in other ways like with their current "evolution" - hence the slimmer sidepods to reduce drag and the profiling of the sidepod like another wing to generate more downforce in the region between the sidepod and floor. Would Ferrari be likely to adopt a similar mentality? Where do people see the room for improvement(bar floor related upgrades)?

bananapeel23

michl420 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:50
F1NAC wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:33
michl420 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:12
Looks like there in no s-duct outlet anymore (Based on one of vanja#66 pictures above).
it is there
CaribouBread wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 09:35
Ferrari raking behind the halo outlet / s duct outlet area

(sorry for the poor image)

https://i.imgur.com/IiV7rhk.png
Based on this picture?!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GG2JIi8WYAA ... ame=medium
What exactly is going on in the rear/lower "tunnel" isn't exactly clear from that photo. To me it kind of looks like there is a hole at the bottom of the rear/lower "tunnel" that kicks the air from the S-duct out. I have no clue why they would ever do that, but if it does indeed flow upwards, I'd assume it helps to control the halo losses on top of the cannons.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SoulPancake13 wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 02:37
Something that today's AMUS article referenced is that RB have likely found the "maximum" downforce they can generate before they think porpoising will set in, so to find downforce they have to go in other ways like with their current "evolution" - hence the slimmer sidepods to reduce drag and the profiling of the sidepod like another wing to generate more downforce in the region between the sidepod and floor. Would Ferrari be likely to adopt a similar mentality? Where do people see the room for improvement(bar floor related upgrades)?
Ferrari and Aston Martin have hinted as much for their '24 cars, but there's something else with the floors. It's not about looking for the peak. Many have found there is a peak where porpoising occurs. What the best teams care about is "peak broadening". You need an aero map that generates large downforce numbers across a large range of vehicle attitudes (ride height, yaw). This is precisely the issue that Ferrari have addressed with the SF24 and they and the other teams will keep going in this direction. Rather than chasing peaks, they seek to fill in the lows in the aero map.

Vanja #66

SoulPancake13 wrote:
profiling of the sidepod like another wing to generate more downforce in the region between the sidepod and floor.
The only thing generated there is lift, don't let them fool you :mrgreen: All sidepods used today generate lift and drag, teams are now playing around different designs to optimise outwash for minimal drag and lift penalty. Ferrari specifically has more room to play around and optimise this area since their starting position is basically the least advanced right now.
Last edited by Vanja #66 on 22 Feb 2024, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Andi76
Andi76

SoulPancake13 wrote:
I completely agree with that. It's a kind of sidepod wing concept. Newey has remembered Nicolo's concept from 2011 :lol:
Vanja #66 wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 08:30
SoulPancake13 wrote:
profiling of the sidepod like another wing to generate more downforce in the region between the sidepod and floor.
The only thing generated there is lift, don't let them fool you :mrgreen: All sidepods generate lift and drag, teams are now playing around different designs to optimise outwash for minimal drag and lift penalty. Ferrari specifically has more room to play around and optimise this area since their starting position is basically the least advanced right now.
Sorry i have to disagree. There was indeed the Sidepod Wing Concept from Nicolo Petrucci, which many people confused with the "double-floor" concept at the time. Here the sidepod functioned like a wing. Even though I don't know it personally and don't value it, I know from a reliable source (from the inventor - Nicolo Petrucci) that these sidepods generated downforce. Even if it wasn't much.
Last edited by Andi76 on 22 Feb 2024, 08:47, edited 3 times in total.

Vanja #66

Andi76 wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 08:35
Sorry that I have to disagree. There was indeed the side-pod wing concept, which many people confused with the "double-floor" concept at the time. Here the sidepod functioned like a wing. Even though I don't know it personally and don't value it, I know from a reliable source (from the inventor - Nicolo Petrucci) that these sidepods generated downforce. Even if it wasn't much.
My bad there, should have been clear that I refer to all sidepods in use today :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Andi76
Andi76

Vanja #66 wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 08:44
Andi76 wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 08:35
Sorry that I have to disagree. There was indeed the side-pod wing concept, which many people confused with the "double-floor" concept at the time. Here the sidepod functioned like a wing. Even though I don't know it personally and don't value it, I know from a reliable source (from the inventor - Nicolo Petrucci) that these sidepods generated downforce. Even if it wasn't much.
My bad there, should have been clear that I refer to all sidepods in use today :)
Or my fault for not realizing it :lol: - but don't you think Red Bull's Sidepods are going in that direction? The shape and everything else reminds me a lot of it when you compare it to the STR06.

organic

AMuS

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Interesting that the lower SIPS has its own modular carbon panel, will look forward to potential changes to that area :idea:

F1ern
F1ern

CaribouBread wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 11:21
Interesting that the lower SIPS has its own modular carbon panel, will look forward to potential changes to that area :idea:
Its four mounting purposes no? To be able to fit the floor to the monocoque.

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Has anyone got any visibility of gear ratios compared to last year?
Seems that FER is still only achieving 17mph with DRS and RB/ML 20mph, albeit that advantage is better than at this point last year.
I think there’s positives in that there is decent performance, and at face value plenty of opportunity for enhancements to the aero given again at face value looks quite vanilla compared to some of the more again at face value refined designs.

organic

Fabrega

FDD
FDD

Looks like they have plenty of room to reshape the sidepods.