2015 Pre-season Testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: 2015 Pre-season Testing

zagor wrote:Not sure how much to read into this but just maybe.....

Bild newspaper said team chairman Niki Lauda accompanied Mercedes designers Andy Cowell and Aldo Costa to a trackside vantage point on Monday. "I wanted them to see just how fast the new Ferrari is going through the corners
Only to laugh maybe,
Seriously though, i cant see that as no mattr how fast it went through there , today the sauber lapped only 0.561 slower, so if Niki is concerned about the Ferrari 's pace, he should also be concerned with the whole grids pace.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Moose
Moose

NathanOlder wrote:

Bild newspaper said team chairman Niki Lauda accompanied Mercedes designers Andy Cowell and Aldo Costa to a trackside vantage point on Monday. "I wanted them to see just how fast the new Ferrari is going through the corners
Only to laugh maybe,
Seriously though, i cant see that as no mattr how fast it went through there , today the sauber lapped only 0.561 slower, so if Niki is concerned about the Ferrari 's pace, he should also be concerned with the whole grids pace.
Niki is not worried about the time the Ferrari is doing, he is worried about how quick and stable it looks in the corners.

It's clear that the Sauber is running flat out to try to get headlines, and hence sponsorship. There's never a sign of a worse car than a mid fielder suddenly appearing at the top of the time sheets in testing every day.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Vasconia wrote:I havent seen so many images of this morning. But according to a Spanish website the Mclaren has behaved quite nervously in the corners. Is this true?
well it wasnt exactly looking 'planted' here http://www1.skysports.com/iframe/widget ... 3IeQ3Ii8gT
Last edited by the EDGE on 03 Feb 2015, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

Like the highest number of unused tokens among the three other engine manufacturers?
Ferrari said they are using as little as they can, so if Ferrari uses 15 for example and Merc and Renault use 18 and 26 respectively, Honda now wants to get 17 Tokens?!

I would love for them to get 17 tokens... but I can't see it happening!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

prince
prince

Moose wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Only to laugh maybe,
Niki is not worried about the time the Ferrari is doing, he is worried about how quick and stable it looks in the corners.

It's clear that the Sauber is running flat out to try to get headlines, and hence sponsorship. There's never a sign of a worse car than a mid fielder suddenly appearing at the top of the time sheets in testing every day.
And when that same mid fielder, who had clocked a test best of 1.30.161s (super soft) last year at the same test, suddenly shows a pace gain of 9 seconds (that too with soft) and clocks 1.21.541s, then it is a cause of worry for Merc. Sauber has struggled for finances whole of last year and you cannot expect them to have produced A RED BULL LIKE DOWNFORCE chassis. It would naturally mean that they have a power unit that has really propelled them forward. Ted in his last notebook was mentioning that, he heard from some Merc engineers that this year, it won't be a cake walk for Merc.

santos
santos

Moose wrote: There's never a sign of a worse car than a mid fielder suddenly appearing at the top of the time sheets in testing every day.
BRAWN GP did it.

Moose
Moose

prince wrote:
Moose wrote:Niki is not worried about the time the Ferrari is doing, he is worried about how quick and stable it looks in the corners.

And when that same mid fielder, who had clocked a test best of 1.30.161s (super soft) last year at the same test, suddenly shows a pace gain of 9 seconds (that too with soft) and clocks 1.21.541s, then it is a cause of worry for Merc.
Not really, no. That's just a sign that the Ferrari engine actually works this year, and they're not (like McLaren) pooling around trying to figure out all the things that can explode on it. Or are you trying to assert that the McLaren is 15 seconds a lap slower than last year's?

None of these cars (other than possibly the Sauber) are running anywhere close to their ultimate pace.
Ted in his last notebook was mentioning that, he heard from some Merc engineers that this year, it won't be a cake walk for Merc.
And I'm sure that's true - but I'm also sure it's not Sauber that's going to be pushing them.

Moose
Moose

prince wrote:
Moose wrote:Niki is not worried about the time the Ferrari is doing, he is worried about how quick and stable it looks in the corners.

And when that same mid fielder, who had clocked a test best of 1.30.161s (super soft) last year at the same test, suddenly shows a pace gain of 9 seconds (that too with soft) and clocks 1.21.541s, then it is a cause of worry for Merc.
Not really, no. That's just a sign that the Ferrari engine actually works this year, and they're not (like McLaren) pooling around trying to figure out all the things that can explode on it. Or are you trying to assert that the McLaren is 15 seconds a lap slower than last year's?

None of these cars (other than possibly the Sauber) are running anywhere close to their ultimate pace.
Ted in his last notebook was mentioning that, he heard from some Merc engineers that this year, it won't be a cake walk for Merc.
And I'm sure that's true - but I'm also sure it's not Sauber that's going to be pushing them.
BRAWN GP did it.
Always an exception that proves a rule, though... BRAWN GP were also... looking for a sponsor ;)

Put it this way, if Sauber were in BRAWN GP's position, we would have seen them top the time sheets every day, rather than being beaten by Ferrari twice (who certainly aren't running at their max pace).

prince
prince

Moose wrote:
prince wrote:

McLaren's struggles are not part of this comparison. You cannot compare apples to oranges.

Of course none of them are close to their ultimate pace. No one is here chasing ultimate performance. On what grounds you say Sauber is exception? Any data or source? May be even Sauber is not close to their optimum. Just because they are going to be DESIGNATED backmarker doesn't mean they are on fumes. This is a loose statement that they are chasing sponsors. The world is much smarter now and JUST LIKE YOU, everyone understands when cars run on fumes and wouldn't want to waste money on backmarkers, unless they cannot afford a Merc, Ferrari or McLaren and desperately want to sponsor someone, then yes.

erlik
erlik

In 2014 Ferrari was occasionally "quick" on Fridays but on Saturdays...

giantfan10
giantfan10

NathanOlder wrote:

Only to laugh maybe,
so the manufacturer who has won exactly half the constructor championships since 2000 is being laughed at by the constructor who has won ONE constructor championship since before the dawn of time...priceless!
the Ferrari had issues with corner entry and exit last year from the first preseason test onward...based on my eye test and now Lauda they seemed to have fixed that issue.. if i was a mercedes employee i would absolutely be concerned about that.
i'm not claiming that Ferrari will win a race this year or any such thing but when a car that was a dog last year shows up this year and shows major improvement in the EXACT same area it was lacking in a year ago anyone with half a brain would sit up and take notice... add to that the fact that ferrari is showing this improvement with a front nose cone solution that will not be on the car come australia...shorter nose= better airflow to the back of the car along with better front downforce
and FYI i could care less about lap times in testing...i'm more concerned with handling...reliability...what new parts are being tested and so on.

Moose
Moose

prince wrote:McLaren's struggles are not part of this comparison. You cannot compare apples to oranges.

Of course none of them are close to their ultimate pace. No one is here chasing ultimate performance. On what grounds you say Sauber is exception? Any data or source? May be even Sauber is not close to their optimum. Just because they are going to be DESIGNATED backmarker doesn't mean they are on fumes. This is a loose statement that they are chasing sponsors. The world is much smarter now and JUST LIKE YOU, everyone understands when cars run on fumes and wouldn't want to waste money on backmarkers, unless they cannot afford a Merc, Ferrari or McLaren and desperately want to sponsor someone, then yes.
Of course, it's possible that Sauber have somehow built the fastest car on the grid, and it's possible that somehow you can tell that just by reading testing times. But... History tells us that it's much much much more likely that they're simply running quickly to try and impress and get sponsorship money.

prince
prince

Moose wrote:
prince wrote:McLaren's struggles are not part of this comparison. You cannot compare apples to oranges.

Of course, it's possible that Sauber have somehow built the fastest car on the grid, and it's possible that somehow you can tell that just by reading testing times. But... History tells us that it's much much much more likely that they're simply running quickly to try and impress and get sponsorship money.
Show me the history where a team has gained close to or more than 9 seconds in one year's time (with same chassis manufacturer and same engine provider, with regulations being almost same). And tell me one team in RECENT HISTORY that grabbed great deal of sponsorships from show off laps. DATA PLEASE.

iotar__

Just when I thought testing was boring. I'd love to see Lauda wasting Cowell's time and dragging him to watch Ferrari in corners. Why Costa and not Lowe? Let's note the first test conclusion for future reference; after Jerez: Ferrari is challenging Mercedes. Fine by me, they have no excuses to not be the second best. If the car is as good as Lauda saw in Jerez will Tombazis and Fry get the credit or is it only Allison's achievement then?

The idea that Honda should get the number of tokens equal to the competitor that left the most for in-season development makes sense but goes against the motivation behind tinkering with rules.

GPR-A duplicate2

Felipe Nasr !!! Rookie of the Jerez test so far. Fast, with the fastest lap of the day and reliable, with 95 laps to his name. No errors, simple and clean.