Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ojir19

Re: Red Bull RB18

okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

NtsParadize
NtsParadize

the EDGE wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 22:18
Bandit1216 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 22:11
Tim.Wright wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 20:07
From a first approximation, I don't see the anti-dive as being so high. The lower wishbone is also tilted back as well which reduces the anti-dive effect drastically.

https://dm2306files.storage.live.com/y4 ... pmode=none

This baffles me. Looks like neutral ackerman, quite some camber, but huge caster. But why? I would think with ground effect cars, one would want minimum roll and pitch, but caster hints at high roll imo.
The race say it’s to try to replicate the effect of POU suspension that’s now outlawed, lowering the front when you apply lock
Why is POU suspension banned?

PhillipM
PhillipM

The race would be wrong, because the amount of lift and lowering over steering lock is limited, not just the attachment points.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

NtsParadize wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 01:49
the EDGE wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 22:18
Bandit1216 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 22:11

This baffles me. Looks like neutral ackerman, quite some camber, but huge caster. But why? I would think with ground effect cars, one would want minimum roll and pitch, but caster hints at high roll imo.
The race say it’s to try to replicate the effect of POU suspension that’s now outlawed, lowering the front when you apply lock
Why is POU suspension banned?
It's not banned directly. It's banned indirectly by Article 10.2.6b

In addition, the following systems or configurations are not permitted:

Any coupling of the suspension systems to the braking or steering systems. To ensure
this is the case, any variation of ride height caused by the suspension geometry’s
kinematics and the tyre shape must not exceed 3mm over the range of steering lock
defined by Article 10.3.7.
You essentially have to design a suspension geometry that maintains the ride height within a very tight tolerance with steering input lock to lock. Therefore a POU design cannot function.

PlatinumZealot

At people saying POU is banned I don't see any ruling that says POU is banned though?

Do you mean that it can't be sticking outside of the brake duct area? Because you can still do a little POU, though a short one and it would be out of sight.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

cheeRS
cheeRS

Mitch2.0 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:47
DAMNINice wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:13
IMHO... This car is 100% developed as a front runner.
All the details with kinks and dents trying to have a perfect airflow to maximise the aero package normally only works to it's maximum when the air is flowing as intended.

All the cars are designed to run in clear air, no team designs their car to ‘work especially well in traffic’, so whilst your comment is accurate, it could be said of every car.
Exactly correct. If generating dirty air is a byproduct of designing a quick "front running" car, then that's a perk. But no engineer in their right mind would prioritize the former for the latter.
Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.

ojir19

okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

cheeRS wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 02:21
Mitch2.0 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:47
DAMNINice wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:13
IMHO... This car is 100% developed as a front runner.
All the details with kinks and dents trying to have a perfect airflow to maximise the aero package normally only works to it's maximum when the air is flowing as intended.

All the cars are designed to run in clear air, no team designs their car to ‘work especially well in traffic’, so whilst your comment is accurate, it could be said of every car.
Exactly correct. If generating dirty air is a byproduct of designing a quick "front running" car, then that's a perk. But no engineer in their right mind would prioritize the former for the latter.
This.

And it's so hard to model that it can only really be done via testing. This is why NASCAR and Indy do a lot of testing in packs to tweak rule sets.

godlameroso

RBR's patented vector diffuser nozzle.
Saishū kōnā

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 02:11
At people saying POU is banned I don't see any ruling that says POU is banned though?

Do you mean that it can't be sticking outside of the brake duct area? Because you can still do a little POU, though a short one and it would be out of sight.
I have just posted directly above you.

A POU design is not banned explicitly. However it is now illegal for rideheight to change when the steering wheel is turned. Therefore there is no incentive to run POU geometry. The purpose of POU was to make sure the ride height lowered when the steering wheel turned.

godlameroso

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 03:14
PlatinumZealot wrote:

A POU design is not banned explicitly. However it is now illegal for rideheight to change when the steering wheel is turned. Therefore there is no incentive to run POU geometry. The purpose of POU was to make sure the ride height lowered when the steering wheel turned.
Excessive caster causes jacking against the chassis doesn't it?
Saishū kōnā

Zynerji

godlameroso wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 04:38
AR3-GP wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

I would expect it would be better to reduce (kingpin inclined toward driver) the inside wheel instead of increasing the outside one? Maybe a bit of both? 🤔

godlameroso

Zynerji wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 04:47
godlameroso wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I would expect it would be better to reduce (kingpin inclined toward driver) the inside wheel instead of increasing the outside one? Maybe a bit of both? 🤔
If the caster angle lowers the outside tire, that also lowers the wing on that side. Newey makes his cars generate their peak downforce when they're cornering, cause that's when the car needs the downforce the most. That's how you know this is just a preview version.
Saishū kōnā

Zynerji

godlameroso wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 04:50
Zynerji wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 04:47
godlameroso wrote:

If the caster angle lowers the outside tire, that also lowers the wing on that side. Newey makes his cars generate their peak downforce when they're cornering, cause that's when the car needs the downforce the most. That's how you know this is just a preview version.
Wouldn't loading the entire wing do the same?

Id be happy to get a built in wedge effect for low speed turn in grip and not lower and stay compliant as well. The castor twist could do that I believe.
Last edited by Zynerji on 24 Feb 2022, 05:04, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

AR3-GP wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Ok now you are talking clearer, because one could mount the push rod on the King pin axis as a POU and not get any ride height change with steering. This is why I asked.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN