2015 Pre-season Testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zagor
zagor

Re: 2015 Pre-season Testing

I think no one is trying to say that Sauber is the fastest car on the grid! Neither do they have the best areo or in line to repeast what Brawn GP team did. However Sauber is showing signs that they have a better PU unit in 2015. Bottom line is that the Ferrari PU is quicker, more stable, and handles alot better than 2014! No doubt in mind! The true test is whether sauber and/or ferrari can sustain it over a good # of laps. The true test at least for ferrari will be if they have improved the way it harvests its energy. Let's hope for a competitive season.

Moose
Moose

prince wrote:Show me the history where a team has gained close to or more than 9 seconds in one year's time (with same chassis manufacturer and same engine provider, with regulations being almost same).
Show me another year where the team previously had had a disaster at testing the prior year. RedBull are at this point 17 seconds faster than they were last year. No one is suggesting that's because they somehow have gained an enormous amount of time, instead, we all realise that it's because last year's testing was a disaster for them.
And tell me one team in RECENT HISTORY that grabbed great deal of sponsorships from show off laps. DATA PLEASE.
I honestly can't think of one, but that doesn't change what the teams will do. The fact that sponsorship is hard to come by is irrelevant when Sauber have a simple choice - either they run fast in testing, and go into meetings with potential sponsors saying "look, we have a really good car this year, it's right up at the front in testing, it's going to get lots of TV time", or they do a normal testing schedule and tell their potential sponsors "well, we're around 6th or 7th in testing, and honestly we think that's roughly where we'll be on the grid... You'll basically get no air time if you sponsor us".

The bottom line is that Sauber has a car that visually looks underdeveloped, that the team have explicitly stated is underdeveloped, and that only has one sponsor on it. They're not doing any significant runs, instead sticking to short ones where they can use low fuel and the best of the tires. There's only one sane way to read that situation, and it's not that they have a wonderful car.

PlatinumZealot

Lets wait until the European round to see where the pecking order is. The Sauber Team could have put every last penny into developing this car. Unlikely that they are front runners, but it is still possible on a shoe string budget.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

NathanOlder

giantfan10 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
zagor wrote:Not sure how much to read into this but just maybe.....

Bild newspaper said team chairman Niki Lauda accompanied Mercedes designers Andy Cowell and Aldo Costa to a trackside vantage point on Monday. "I wanted them to see just how fast the new Ferrari is going through the corners
Only to laugh maybe,
Seriously though, i cant see that as no mattr how fast it went through there , today the sauber lapped only 0.561 slower, so if Niki is concerned about the Ferrari 's pace, he should also be concerned with the whole grids pace.
so the manufacturer who has won exactly half the constructor championships since 2000 is being laughed at by the constructor who has won ONE constructor championship since before the dawn of time...priceless!.
The fact i wrote "seriously" kinda hinted at it being a joke, nevermind it was wasted on you.

as for ferrari and these facts you have thrown at me, Ferrari havent won a single thing without Michael Schumacher 's involvement since 1979, so Im personally not worried to much by the team in red, they were fastest on day 1 last year, this time they went 1 day better. As for the "planted" "balanced" quotes, they are all opinion from track side. The track side analysis of the red bull has been that the car looks twitchy, so i guess your writing them off now.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ema00
ema00

GPR-A wrote:Felipe Nasr !!! Rookie of the Jerez test so far. Fast, with the fastest lap of the day and reliable, with 95 laps to his name. No errors, simple and clean.
he's gone for grass in the early morning, not bad aniway

Andres125sx

Vasconia wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:Did Spain's high unemployment rate help fill the grandstands?

Looks like there are more people there than at a IndyCar race
Probably, lots of unemployed people in that area.
Sure you need to be unemployed to go to the racetrack on a beautiful sunday... :roll:

Andres125sx

prince wrote:
Moose wrote:
prince wrote:McLaren's struggles are not part of this comparison. You cannot compare apples to oranges.

Of course none of them are close to their ultimate pace. No one is here chasing ultimate performance. On what grounds you say Sauber is exception? Any data or source? May be even Sauber is not close to their optimum. Just because they are going to be DESIGNATED backmarker doesn't mean they are on fumes. This is a loose statement that they are chasing sponsors. The world is much smarter now and JUST LIKE YOU, everyone understands when cars run on fumes and wouldn't want to waste money on backmarkers, unless they cannot afford a Merc, Ferrari or McLaren and desperately want to sponsor someone, then yes.
Of course, it's possible that Sauber have somehow built the fastest car on the grid, and it's possible that somehow you can tell that just by reading testing times. But... History tells us that it's much much much more likely that they're simply running quickly to try and impress and get sponsorship money.
Show me the history where a team has gained close to or more than 9 seconds in one year's time (with same chassis manufacturer and same engine provider, with regulations being almost same).
Are you really ignoring last year it was a new engine they had never tested before so they were doing installing laps (or whatever name they use) at this point?

That´s like saying McLaren is 13 second slower than STR... hey, that´s what timetable says, can´t deny it :mrgreen:

f1316
f1316

All the usual caveats, but still interesting that the feeling seems to be that Ferrari are in decent shape:

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/ ... eyeopening

Redragon

Andres125sx wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:Did Spain's high unemployment rate help fill the grandstands?

Looks like there are more people there than at a IndyCar race
Probably, lots of unemployed people in that area.
Sure you need to be unemployed to go to the racetrack on a beautiful sunday... :roll:

I think what Vasconia wants to say, it is on south spain has been the area were the crisis has hit harder and it is the most unployed area of Spain, so too see so many people it is really a great effort and commitment,

zoro_f1

Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

giantfan10
giantfan10

[/quote]The fact i wrote "seriously" kinda hinted at it being a joke, nevermind it was wasted on you.

as for ferrari and these facts you have thrown at me, Ferrari havent won a single thing without Michael Schumacher 's involvement since 1979, so Im personally not worried to much by the team in red, they were fastest on day 1 last year, this time they went 1 day better. As for the "planted" "balanced" quotes, they are all opinion from track side. The track side analysis of the red bull has been that the car looks twitchy, so i guess your writing them off now.[/quote]

writing red bull off no? do they have issues to deal with? yes
Ferrari won the constructors championship in 2007 and 2008 last time i checked and Schumacher was nowhere to be seen in a red car.
i will let a red bull driver and a mercedes driver give you their opinions on the SF-15T so far in testing... you can figure out who said what
driver 1 has described the performance of the Ferrari team as "an eye-opener" after the opening three days of Formula 1 testing at Jerez."We are keeping an eye on the opposition, especially Ferrari has been an eye-opener in the last couple of days," he said.
driver 2 praising the early form of the SF15-T.
"The time Seb [Vettel] did yesterday was quick," he said when asked which team he thought was closest to Mercedes.
"I don't know about fuel and tyres or whatever, but it was a good time.
"Ferrari looks good for now."
so you writing seriously in front of your opinion is now code name for a joke ... interesting spin
anyway lets see some quotes from Kimi about the SF-15T (all quotes from autosport)
"There are a lot of good points in the areas where we had difficulties,"
"The whole package is quite a bit better than how we finished last year. We've improved in all the areas."
"It's a lot different. It's a new car and you usually know if the car is going to be good or not good [immediately].
"It's a positive start and I had a good feeling straightaway when I went out."
so the only person on this planet who has driven both the 2014 and 2015 car says it is improved...

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

https://twitter.com/MST_ChristianN/stat ... 88/photo/1

Raikkonen was crusing on the finish line.

F1NAC

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:https://twitter.com/MST_ChristianN/stat ... 88/photo/1

wow that is really slow from kimi? did he lift the accelerator

Chene_Mostert

No time of day recorded?
No lap no. recorded?
where was Vmax measured?
Where is sector 3?
What is being measured? max speed in a sector? or average sector speed? where does Vmax then fit in?

Is this info reliable?
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

fawe4
fawe4

Chene_Mostert wrote:

No time of day recorded?
No lap no. recorded?
where was Vmax measured?
Where is sector 3?
What is being measured? max speed in a sector? or average sector speed? where does Vmax then fit in?

Is this info reliable?
It is. I believe, it's time to start attaching bags of sand to that Ferrari, and while they are at it, they need to force Sauber in doing the same.