Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Flowviz on the rear wing of the SF71H (photos are from yesterday)

Via @RacecarEngineer
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

paddyf1 wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 12:53
graham.reeds wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 03:54
BrunoH wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 10:47
i think its just drag reduction, nothing else...
This paper tends to agree
Low Drag Automotive Mirror Using Passive Flow Jet Control
How does it tend to agree? There is no mention of the ferrari wing mirrors in there,if you put a hole in anything its going to reduce the drag, drag loss if any is an added bonus in what they are really trying to do, in my humble opinion.
Firstly you are not going to see specifically the Ferrari wing mirrors as the paper was written in 2014. It agrees by showing that by flowing air around the mirror you reduce drag and decreases downstream turbulence.

Vanja #66

Mr.G wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 15:04
I've always thought that it's hard to follow the car due to turbulences, but now it look like the car behind run in "vacuum" :D
Vacuum is extreme low pressure, turbulent wakes are always low pressure. That's what reduces drag of the following car.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

FLuidd
FLuidd

Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 19:21
Mr.G wrote:
I've always thought that it's hard to follow the car due to turbulences, but now it look like the car behind run in "vacuum" :D
Vacuum is extreme low pressure, turbulent wakes are always low pressure. That's what reduces drag of the following car.
Turbulent wakes are always low pressure. wow

sorry to be offtopic but that is just bullshit

Mr.G

Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 19:21
Mr.G wrote:
Yes, I just want to point that I'm surprised how steep the ange is :)
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Vanja #66

I just wanted to point out both your statements are true. :D
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Mr.G

Well, then thanks!
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

nlehoullier
nlehoullier

Some interesting similarities between RB14 and SF71H probably relating to similar sidepod and rake philosophies but I always find it peculiar how two teams can come to such similar conclusions when solving problems.

leading edge of floor
RB14 Image
SF71H Image

gearbox/diffusor undercut
(edit)RB14 Image
SF71H Image

shape of lower 'L' shaped element of sidepod vertical turning vane
RB14 Image
SF71H Image

Diffusor shape
RB14 Image
SF71H Image

...Perhaps I am just grasping at straws here but they appear to me to be converging on philosophies

Sevach
Sevach

A lot of those things are natural convergence/becoming standard.
Last year Mercedes and Red Bull had those blades on the floor, so it's not a "good with rake" thing.

On the sidepod fins department it was Red Bull that copied Ferrari, in 2018 Red Bull launched with hybrid between the Ferrari and the Mercedes concept.

And many teams adopted this diffuser edge, rake or no rake, Ferrari didn't but by the end of 2017 they were showing intentions of exploring it.

manchild
manchild

Mirrors are hollow, with internal cone fairing that actually holds the mirror plate and acts as air splitter/conditioner (black CF cone you see on closeup pics). The air they pick up goes trough branches via chassis into sidepods, thus reducing the drag from mirrors. They were invented 8 years ago by a forum member Downforce and presented on this very forum. http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 05#p160705
This leads us even further, 12 years ago, when I suggested that branches and mirrors could be used as ducts/chimneys, for extraction of hot air from the sidepods, thus decreasing their drag.
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 038#p16038
Since this post is purely technical and directly topic-related, I expect it to remain undeleted.

George-Jung
George-Jung

manchild wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 03:23
Mirrors are hollow, with internal cone fairing that actually holds the mirror plate and acts as air splitter/conditioner (black CF cone you see on closeup pics). The air they pick up goes trough branches via chassis into sidepods, thus reducing the drag from mirrors. They were invented 8 years ago by a forum member Downforce and presented on this very forum. http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 05#p160705
This leads us even further, 12 years ago, when I suggested that branches and mirrors could be used as ducts/chimneys, for extraction of hot air from the sidepods, thus decreasing their drag.
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 038#p16038
Since this post is purely technical and directly topic-related, I expect it to remain undeleted.
Why? It has got nothing to do with this Ferrari.. ?

manchild
manchild

George-Jung wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 04:24
Why? It has got nothing to do with this Ferrari.. ?
I've descrbied exactly the mirrors on this Ferrari SF71H and their background. It's not my problem that some can't figure out the obvious function of these car parts or even their shape.

Morteza

Via AMuS
Last edited by Morteza on 01 Mar 2018, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zac510
zac510

manchild the 2005 Aston Martin DBR9 (GT version, raced at Le Mans) had hollow mirrors with a duct into the cabin for driver cooling. This predates both your and the post by member Downforce.

manchild
manchild

zac510 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 12:08
manchild the 2005 Aston Martin DBR9 (GT version, raced at Le Mans) had hollow mirrors with a duct into the cabin for driver cooling. This predates both your and the post by member Downforce.
Indeed. I accept that I was wrong when it matters who invented them.
No buts of ifs. Thanks to your post I've learned that, and those who couldn't figure out how mirrors on Ferrari function finally got the proof.