2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

west52keep64 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:38
Where is this "Mercedes rocket" stuff coming from? They were only a tenth or so ahead in practice, and it's just practice. When it counted Red Bull was quicker, and they were quicker in the race sims on Friday. If either car is a rocket, right now it's the Red Bull.

I actually think they are fairly equal.
More and more I believe the spicy Brazil rocket engine thing is a myth to distract RedBull. I really don't see any evidence to suggest that this spicy engine with 30 more horsepower ever existed! Was probably just a very sweet set-up on Hamilton's car in Brazil!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

godlameroso

Not much difference between soft and medium tires as far as longevity goes, this is because the pace advantage of the soft allows one to manage that so that the wear and pace cross over. I think the real race is for the constructors, not the driver's. It's a two stop no matter what, as the hard tire doesn't have more than 150km in it. In Jeddah the C3 lasted roughly 100-110km, this being slightly lower wear circuit, 150km is just about half race distance, the medium/soft will probably be capable of ~60-80km, that's 230, race is 306, that's 76km which means another stop no matter what.
Saishū kōnā

ringo

godlameroso wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 17:51
Not much difference between soft and medium tires as far as longevity goes, this is because the pace advantage of the soft allows one to manage that so that the wear and pace cross over. I think the real race is for the constructors, not the driver's. It's a two stop no matter what, as the hard tire doesn't have more than 150km in it. In Jeddah the C3 lasted roughly 100-110km, this being slightly lower wear circuit, 150km is just about half race distance, the medium/soft will probably be capable of ~60-80km, that's 230, race is 306, that's 76km which means another stop no matter what.
You picked this up from practice?
I was not able to watch practice this weekend.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

Starkblood80 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 17:05
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:58
The idea that Hamilton deliberately didn't take pole is a bit absurd. They will have to have a battle on track if Hamilton wants to win, especially considering Verstappen will probably undercut Hamilton. Seems like just an idea used to discredit RB and Maxs work today
It probably wasn’t deliberate but max is still at a disadvantage starting on the softs. “If” SA is anything to go by then Lewis will just sit behind and wait for Max’s tyres to go off and probably go for a safe DRS pass.
I honestly don’t think the Redbull will be faster in the race
RedBull may not mind if they get froced to pit earlier from tyre wear, the last time it happend in Austin they capitlaized on it by forcing the issue with the undercut and Mercedes were caught napping. That track has hier tire wear though.

In Yas Marina now, Mercedes has to really be sure whether or not it's better to stay out if Max tries for the undercut. If they are confident on the hard tyres they could follow him into the pits but it will be a dog-fight till the end. If they are confident they have more life in the medium they could go long and hope for safety cars or hope that Max's tyres go dead in a long second stint.

Following on from thise scenarios it does seem Mercedes have more cards to play though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

wogx

A bit off-topic, but that's so spectacular!
Stabilized helmet cam view:
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Pany
Pany

ringo wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 17:54
godlameroso wrote:
I really hope you are right. But i recall anytime we presume there will be 2 stop possibility, during the race we end up seeing 90% of times only 1 stop....

Big Tea

west52keep64 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:30
Big Tea wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:19
Will Merc ask Lando to tailgun Lewis for the first few corners? and Would he do it if they did?
Norris and Verstappen are very good friends, so he absolutely will not do that. I imagine he mostly doesn't want to get too involved.
I think its naïve to think he will not do what the team tells him just because he is friendly with Max.
He would not need to do anything other than position his car w where Bottas would (not) to stop anyone Joining the fight with a dive on the first corner the corner

I see it as tip-toe for Hamilton and look to get a tyre change under a VSC. It can not be won until the end, but it can be lost at any point
Last edited by Big Tea on 11 Dec 2021, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nimoraca
nimoraca

With Wolff admitting that long run pace of RedBull is worrying, this might not even come to strategy decisions. With Perez a tenth up on the Mercs on the same tire during the race sim, and knowing that Verstappen always has better race pace than Sergio, it might be hard for Lewis to keep up. Mers only rain of hope is that Red Bulls messed up with the tire choice.

El Scorchio

wogx wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 18:07
A bit off-topic, but that's so spectacular!
Stabilized helmet cam view:
That is cool.

search

wogx wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 17:30
Is this real?
https://www.wykop.pl/cdn/c3201142/comme ... HvCped.jpg
no, it's a satire account. Also not a particularly funny one

godlameroso

Pany wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 18:14
ringo wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
I really hope you are right. But i recall anytime we presume there will be 2 stop possibility, during the race we end up seeing 90% of times only 1 stop....
2 stops for my own comfort lol, you guys think my strategy is the team's strategy, while they may overlap they are not exactly the same. I don't have to consider track position on a solo run, I am alpha and omega, in a race you have competitors. I only do the race to give a general hint of pace and degradation, and because I like to think I can hang with the big dogs(I know I can't, they're on another dimension of driving ability). Just because I would do a two stop doesn't mean they have to do it, they can just nurse the tires longer and live with not going faster. I can't do that, so I stop again cause I have to go faster or I get upset at myself.
Saishū kōnā

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

Let say Verstappen will pit for hards committed to the end will Hamilton have enough life in his tires at that time to create a delta against hards for an undercut?
Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

Tom145145
Tom145145

godlameroso wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 18:28
Pany wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 18:14
ringo wrote:

2 stops for my own comfort lol, you guys think my strategy is the team's strategy, while they may overlap they are not exactly the same. I don't have to consider track position on a solo run, I am alpha and omega, in a race you have competitors. I only do the race to give a general hint of pace and degradation, and because I like to think I can hang with the big dogs(I know I can't, they're on another dimension of driving ability). Just because I would do a two stop doesn't mean they have to do it, they can just nurse the tires longer and live with not going faster. I can't do that, so I stop again cause I have to go faster or I get upset at myself.
I think traction out of the new hairpin and chicane will be key. If Verstappen can keep them in check for a reasonable first stint I think he will be ok, but once the rears go off you are a sitting duck on the straight even with a similar top speed as you will loose on all the straight. It’s not all done for either driver. I would say this has evened it up going into the race, slight advantage to Max.

godlameroso

El_KaPpa wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 18:36
Let say Verstappen will pit for hards committed to the end will Hamilton have enough life in his tires at that time to create a delta against hards for an undercut?
There is no scenario where a one stop is possible.
Saishū kōnā

hollus

Based on a sim.
Rivals, not enemies.