2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

genarro wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 05:44
chrisc90 wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 22:43
SilviuAgo wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 22:29

Thanks for that! Valid also for the max fan who made a comparison between Lando on Max vs Nico approach in same turn 3. Seems that max was winning a race over Leclerc with same move. Without a penalty.
He didnt look at the Nico/Alonso incident just 23 hours earlier though. But pulls up a incident 5 years ago and about 3 or 4 different rule changes on the overtaking procedures/moving on brakes etc. Poor to bring up the Charles/Max incident.
Why? Because it proves that Max is at fault? Judging by your picture you are a little buthurt
He knows that Max is to blame, so he came to the McLaren thread, trying to stand up for the driver he supports. And I don’t remember that the overtaking rules have changed since 2019. In my opinion, as soon as Max came to F1, they changed the overtaking rules and banned shifting under braking. Or am I wrong? Or am I mixing something up?

There was an incident between Max and Kimi in Hungary. It was around this time that the Verstappen rule was introduced. Many years have passed, maybe I'm confusing something, but this was before 2019.
I'm not sure if this link is available to everyone.

https://m.vk.com/video256482795_456239583

One more: 31 August, 2016

British expert Mark Hughes has given a very categorical comment on the actions of Max Verstappen during the Belgian Grand Prix in the Motorsport Magazine.

This weekend in Monza it will be interesting to observe the consequences of Max Verstappen's behavior in Spa - first of all, the maneuver he carried out against Kimi Raikkonen at a speed of over 300 km/h on the Kemmel straight. Only the Finn's instant, cool reaction prevented a serious accident: Verstappen "stuck" in the middle of the track when the Ferrari was quickly catching up with him, waited for Kimi to decide which side to overtake the Dutchman from, and only then moved in the same direction.

He used the same technique, but at a relatively low speed, against Raikkonen at Turn 1 of the Hungaroring – and all these actions are very reminiscent of the infamous maneuver by Michael Schumacher against Mika Hakkinen in 2000 on the Belgian track on the same Kemmel straight.

The rules give an ambiguous interpretation of such maneuvers, but there is nothing to judge: what Verstappen did in Spa on Sunday was clearly a deadly and deliberate provocation. This should not happen in Formula 1, so the reaction in such cases should be tough and categorical: the Dutchman should have shown the black flag. Pull into the pits, turn off the engine, get out of the car – the race is over for you.

There were versions that Verstappen was saved from punishment by his powerful influence on the commercial side of racing, which is so important right now, and allegedly that is why he is allowed to do things for which others would certainly be punished. Personally, I don't really believe in the existence of such a regulation, although it is quite clear where such assumptions come from.

Drivers are penalized for much less dangerous actions, as, for example, happened with Nico Rosberg in Hockenheim, when he forced Verstappen off the track. Incidentally, the Mercedes driver then only responded to Max's maneuver, who moved towards Rosberg's car in the braking zone - this is another scary move, not provided for by the rules at all, but which is not allowed by the tacit agreements that exist between the drivers, since it can potentially lead to extremely dangerous consequences.

At the same time, there is a clause in the rules that could have been used to punish Rosberg for his actions, which is what was done. However, neither of Verstappen's two favourite methods of defence - neither shifting in the braking zone, nor "hanging" in the middle of the track before a turn in order to decide on a trajectory only after the pursuer has chosen that side - neither of these techniques is prohibited by the rules.

Usually, drivers agree on such things themselves, and they are provided for by an unspoken code of acceptable behaviour. But any attempt to formalise this behaviour, to put it into verbal formulations, leads to difficulties. After all, any formulation entails the emergence of "grey areas". Therefore, there will always be a temptation to find a way to circumvent the provisions of the rules - Michael Schumacher brought this to perfection. As soon as you formulate what is considered legal, the obvious reaction of any sportsman will be: does this mean that what is not taken into account in this formulation is considered legal?

It turns out that any actions previously not provided for by the rules involuntarily become acceptable. Fortunately, not many drivers have followed Schumacher's logic, but Max does exactly that.

When Formula 1 starts to get strict and drivers are punished for breaking the rules of conduct on the track, it always leads to undesirable consequences: on the one hand, motorsport bureaucrats start to pick on drivers for trivial violations, on the other, the appearance of "gray areas" in the rules actually allows the use of dangerous techniques, because they are not formally prohibited. And when attempts are made to put the provisions of the unwritten rules into verbal formulations, stewards immediately take this into service and consider it their duty to interfere with the natural course of the race.

Previously, if drivers disagreed in their interpretation of certain provisions of the unspoken code, they sorted it out among themselves after the finish of the Grand Prix, but usually these differences were not so significant.

At the drivers' briefing in Monza, Verstappen will definitely come under fire from critics. But, most likely, he is psychologically strong enough and quite confident in his remarkable abilities, so all this is unlikely to affect him. But if he is disqualified every time he allows himself to act unnecessarily dangerously, then he will quickly come to his senses. And in this case, it does not matter what the specific wording of the rules says.

Source: motorsport, 26 October, 2016

The issue of defensive braking was raised before the race in the USA. The reason was the dangerous maneuvers that Max Verstappen repeated many times during the season, which caused discontent among other drivers. As a result, drivers were banned from shifting sharply under braking, and former Formula 1 driver Jacques Villeneuve praised the FIA ​​for making this decision.

Jacques Villeneuve: "Finally they did it, and now Verstappen will not behave like this. Previously, no one allowed themselves to do this, because everyone understood how dangerous Formula 1 is, but the new generation is completely different. Verstappen and Sainz irritate me the most, because they constantly do the same tricks. Apparently, they spent their entire childhood playing video games, and you can do this endlessly there. Here they repeat their maneuvers, thinking that nothing will happen because of the high safety of the cars. In this way, they only show disrespect to their opponents."

mclaren111

Macklaren wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 16:41
Jambier wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 16:39
Verstappen definitely is the new Hamilton or Schumacher

Not clean
I don't remember HAM ever deliberately crashing into anyone. Schumi on the other hand was dirty

Hamilton took Verstappen off at Silverstone & Monza a couple of years ago...

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

And now, when there is even a rule that it is forbidden to move during the braking phase, Max continues to do the same. Lando was extremely unhappy about this. Lando acted professionally and honestly, but Max did not know how to defend himself honestly and still does not know how. Why the judges did not warn Max remains a mystery. Lando made it clear on the radio that such driving could lead to an accident, which is what happened in the end. Max constantly moved towards Lando during braking, no matter from which side he was attacked. He was constantly worried about Lando divebombing, although he himself did exactly the same thing the day before against Lando himself in Turn 4.

In the previous post I selected only a few messages. The resource is Russian, but there is only a text link to a foreign source Motorsport. There is no original link. But the text of the comments is completely correct. All this was in 2016!

Those who try to stand up for Max are either the same idiots, or simply don't know how to honestly admit defeat like Max. And by the way, Max has already lost morally to Lando. At least in this regard, Max is much weaker, because he never admits defeat.

Ben1980
Ben1980

That Nico move and the Lando move are quite different. Look at the car in comparison to the actual corner. Not really comparable.

BMMR61

Having replayed the whole race and particular attention to the contact there isn't any grey area for Max to escape serious censure from the stewards. McLaren reported the continuous movements under braking and it was never formally noted by the stewards, this usually results in the team issuing their own warning to their driver. The whole thing was treated leniently in the extreme. Oscar's "limits" penalty was punished fully, whether it was supported by clear evidence or not. Max has been getting away with it so much as we know but his car has been so superior for a couple of years that he hasn't had to resort to the extreme measures. Daniel got a lot of abuse by fans for leaving the Verstappen/Red Bull team but it was sealed after Baku 2018, the same moving in the braking zone that took both drivers out. That also went unpunished when it was clearly moving in the braking zone, if not double move. Stella is right, and it's a very astute approach to the disaster McLaren has had to accept.

BMMR61

On a positive note, Lando has put so much pressure on Max that he cracked under the pressure. It was a mistake by Max whichever way you look at it. More pressure required.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

BMMR61 wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 09:41
Having replayed the whole race and particular attention to the contact there isn't any grey area for Max to escape serious censure from the stewards. McLaren reported the continuous movements under braking and it was never formally noted by the stewards, this usually results in the team issuing their own warning to their driver. The whole thing was treated leniently in the extreme. Oscar's "limits" penalty was punished fully, whether it was supported by clear evidence or not. Max has been getting away with it so much as we know but his car has been so superior for a couple of years that he hasn't had to resort to the extreme measures. Daniel got a lot of abuse by fans for leaving the Verstappen/Red Bull team but it was sealed after Baku 2018, the same moving in the braking zone that took both drivers out. That also went unpunished when it was clearly moving in the braking zone, if not double move. Stella is right, and it's a very astute approach to the disaster McLaren has had to accept.
This can be described as double standards. The stewards did not get involved because they do not want to take responsibility when there is a fight for victory. Max took out Lewis many times in Brazil 2021 and at the same time Max himself went off the track, but did not give up his position. This is called dirty fighting, which goes beyond the rules included in the sporting regulations. Max could have been disqualified for one race for dangerous driving a long time ago. But the stewards have no balls.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

MrGapes wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 16:52
I think Lando has probably learnt a important lesson on racing Max today... Lets see how this progresses now

Leclerc got his awakening on the same track funnily enough.
Agreed. They need to understand that Max may be their "friend" off the track but on the track he is ruthless as can be. It's easy to laugh about it when he is 1s faster and you let him pass but now Norris got a big lesson in both sprint and the race.

Emag wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 17:05
It just makes no sense. He is the only high caliber driver that does this. Waits for you to make a move and either squeezes you off or completely runs you off the track.

That's not how you race anyone. A shame really. I thought he had matured from 2021 but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Unless FIA gets more strict about moving under braking, he will continue to do this.
Exactly. The problem I have with this race is not that the incident occured, but that Verstappen will not learn from it. His illegal blocks and moving under braking meant that Norris was forced into risky divebombs. You can't overtake someone if he moves under braking every time you line up. It's bound to force you into a divebomb and then it's a crash if the other drivers wants to.

organic wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 17:56
Lando forced the collision by doing these dive-bombs and running off track. But max also was wrong to move on the brakes etc

It's similar to Monza 2021 wherein both drivers needed to be going over the limit in the events leading to the collision, but one driver was more at fault. In each case stewards deemed Max to be predominantly at fault.

I think Lando will learn from this and ultimately they might not end up friends sadly. Max will always race at the limit
Well said but the issue is that the way Verstappen defended meant Norris had to make a risky move. But even that was not the crash, Norris kept the car in control during his divebombs and Verstappen didn't let them crash. The crash happened one time Norris managed to fool Verstappen in going to defend the inside while Norris came alongside them. Then Verstappen moves back to the left which causes the collision. Without that move to the left Verstappen probably exits the corner slower than Norris and Norris goes to T4 in P1 where I bet we would see a Verstappen divebomb to the inside like in sprint, but hopefully Norris would know to defend the inside.

Marc.W wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:45
Just caught up with the race, Max's moving under brakes should've been penalised 3 moves ago
They should have warned him about it as a start. But since they are ignoring it we will see this happen again.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 01 Jul 2024, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

BMMR61 wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 09:44
On a positive note, Lando has put so much pressure on Max that he cracked under the pressure. It was a mistake by Max whichever way you look at it. More pressure required.
Max also locked his wheels in Turn 4 because he was under pressure. And Lando quickly entered the DRS zone. Lando is definitely stronger than Max. This was proven back in iRacing. There they also collided many times and Max is also unyielding there. So Lando knows Max's driving style very well. It is not for us to teach Lando. He knows his opponent very well.

If Max is not penalized for drifting in the braking zone, then Lando will do the same. And if the stewards decide to penalize Lando for this, then if I were Lando, I would simply leave Formula 1.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that McLaren lost a victory today due to two unfair, dangerous moves by both Red Bulls.

First Perez ran Piastri wide in T4 at the start of the race which lost Piastri couple of places and probably 5-10 seconds in race time. Without that forcing wide Piastri would have beaten Russel for P3 and then inherited the victory. A shame really, it would be karma if Piastri managed to win after Verstappen crashed into Norris.

Second was Verstappen clearly moving left to force Norris wide. He probably didn't mean to hit Norris but he wanted to force him wide (again). It's really frustrating to race against a driver like him.

On other hand, I was in the grandstands and it was great to see McLaren on track fighting for the win. I wasn't that disappointed in the result but it would have been special to see Norris overtake Verstappen on track for the victory. Coming back to the forum and internet I am really saddened to see how many people are trying to justify what Verstappen did. Even if Norris did some divebombs, that doesn't mean you can go and hit a car alongside you.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 10:53
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that McLaren lost a victory today due to two unfair, dangerous moves by both Red Bulls.

First Perez ran Piastri wide in T4 at the start of the race which lost Piastri couple of places and probably 5-10 seconds in race time. Without that forcing wide Piastri would have beaten Russel for P3 and then inherited the victory. A shame really, it would be karma if Piastri managed to win after Verstappen crashed into Norris.

Second was Verstappen clearly moving left to force Norris wide. He probably didn't mean to hit Norris but he wanted to force him wide (again). It's really frustrating to race against a driver like him.

On other hand, I was in the grandstands and it was great to see McLaren on track fighting for the win. I wasn't that disappointed in the result but it would have been special to see Norris overtake Verstappen on track for the victory. Coming back to the forum and internet I am really saddened to see how many people are trying to justify what Verstappen did. Even if Norris did some divebombs, that doesn't mean you can go and hit a car alongside you.
Oh, it's great that you saw the race in real life!
There are no excuses for Max. Such a race should simply be forgotten as a bad dream or a nightmare.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 00:37
What's important, but being lost, is that Max was punished strongly for squeezing Lando. The stewards agreed that it was not fair racing and this is different to times in the past.
The outcome might have affected Lando more than Max in this situation, but the marker has been laid down that squeezing a driver like that and not leaving a cars width will be punished.

For Mclaren and for good racing in the future, this is not a small matter as two markers have been laid.

The first, is that Lando will not back out so easily under Over The Top aggression, so you are as likely to come off worse as you are better.
The second is that consistency not withstanding, Max will have to be more careful with these types of move in the future or face sanction.

So despite the disappointing end to Lando's race, there is a silver lining to this cloud.
He wasn't punished for squeezing, he was punished for the crash.

And the punishment was inconsequential. He had a big gap to the car behind and the punishment meant nothing. I think FIA should really think about making changes to the penalty system to be able to convert some of the penalties into track position penalties or penalties in the next race. What deterrence is a penalty if it doesn't affect the outcome?

Imagine if Piastri in Monaco decided to cut the chicane and then storm away from Leclerc? Would he get a 5 second penalty for gaining and advantage? Would Norris get just a 5 second penalty if he overtook Verstappen on track and steamed ahead? Not sure that is good for the sport. Either force them to give back the position or make it that penalties can be moved toward the next race - so that it has an effect.

BMMR61

Great that we saw some fantastic racing at the head of the field. Sad that Max brought back the tactics he used to use as last resort. He channels pressure into extreme tactics quite similar to Schumie. I reiterate that the aftermath of the contact where Max swerved after Lando to stop him going past his damaged car was another offence against the rules. Horner encourages aggression from the pits and is actually a very deceitful character.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 10:58
mwillems wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 00:37
What's important, but being lost, is that Max was punished strongly for squeezing Lando. The stewards agreed that it was not fair racing and this is different to times in the past.
The outcome might have affected Lando more than Max in this situation, but the marker has been laid down that squeezing a driver like that and not leaving a cars width will be punished.

For Mclaren and for good racing in the future, this is not a small matter as two markers have been laid.

The first, is that Lando will not back out so easily under Over The Top aggression, so you are as likely to come off worse as you are better.
The second is that consistency not withstanding, Max will have to be more careful with these types of move in the future or face sanction.

So despite the disappointing end to Lando's race, there is a silver lining to this cloud.
He wasn't punished for squeezing, he was punished for the crash.

And the punishment was inconsequential. He had a big gap to the car behind and the punishment meant nothing. I think FIA should really think about making changes to the penalty system to be able to convert some of the penalties into track position penalties or penalties in the next race. What deterrence is a penalty if it doesn't affect the outcome?

Imagine if Piastri in Monaco decided to cut the chicane and then storm away from Leclerc? Would he get a 5 second penalty for gaining and advantage? Would Norris get just a 5 second penalty if he overtook Verstappen on track and steamed ahead? Not sure that is good for the sport. Either force them to give back the position or make it that penalties can be moved toward the next race - so that it has an effect.
The crash caused by the Squeezing?

As I say, I don't think it is inconsequential outside of the race. Inside of the race, yes. But what is important outside of the race is that the Stewards set a precedent by saying that this sort of driving is unacceptable.

I agree about Max making his own High Speed corner out of a low speed one, but I said that already when replying to Chris in a separate post. It is separate the the incident that this post is about, which was the squeezing and subsequent crash.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 12:29
The crash caused by the Squeezing?

As I say, I don't think it is inconsequential outside of the race. Inside of the race, yes. But what is important outside of the race is that the Stewards set a precedent by saying that this sort of driving is unacceptable.

I agree about Max making his own High Speed corner out of a low speed one, but I said that already when replying to Chris in a separate post. It is separate the the incident that this post is about, which was the squeezing and subsequent crash.
I wouldn't call it squeezing as it was done on the brakes and Norris was on the edge of the track. Sure, he could have theoretically moved under braking to let Verstappen have better exit out of corner. You can't squeeze people on the brakes on the edge of the track. Rule against moving under braking exists because you can't and shouldn't squeeze people on brakes.

Squeezing works when you are under power and have room to move. Squeeze someone to the inside so he has to brake much earlier. What Verstappen did was crash into Norris by trying to open up his corner, all of this done under brakes as a reaction to Norris. And this is without mentioning him moving under braking in earlier attacks (one of which could have been a clear Norris hitting Verstappen into the rear).