2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Does anyone have Davidson's analysis without the geoblock?

the EDGE
the EDGE

Dafnalina wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 21:23

That work?

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

the EDGE wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 21:38
Dafnalina wrote:

That work?
No, but I found a link https://gofile.io/d/br2QZW

Thanks though!

SilviuAgo

Dafnalina wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 22:15
the EDGE wrote:
Dafnalina wrote:

That work?

Thanks though!
Thanks for that! Valid also for the max fan who made a comparison between Lando on Max vs Nico approach in same turn 3. Seems that max was winning a race over Leclerc with same move. Without a penalty.

chrisc90

SilviuAgo wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 22:29
Dafnalina wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

That work?

Thanks though!
Thanks for that! Valid also for the max fan who made a comparison between Lando on Max vs Nico approach in same turn 3. Seems that max was winning a race over Leclerc with same move. Without a penalty.
He didnt look at the Nico/Alonso incident just 23 hours earlier though. But pulls up a incident 5 years ago and about 3 or 4 different rule changes on the overtaking procedures/moving on brakes etc. Poor to bring up the Charles/Max incident.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Ben1980 wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 21:07
I was settling for a comfy second. But, that all went mad. (Like the football, settling for being knocked out, then it all went mad).

I was really impressed with Lando fighting it out. I thought it interesting what Davidson said on sky, about the drivers losing confidence with Max, due to him being erratic.

It may be different if it was an actual title challenge, but let's show we can fight them.
I was watching the race on replay and accidentally saw the race result on the F1 app, and was waiting for the crash. Thanks for bringing up Ant's analysis, I normally turn off well before that.

SilviuAgo

chrisc90 wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 22:43
SilviuAgo wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 22:29
Dafnalina wrote:

Thanks though!
He didnt look at the Nico/Alonso incident just 23 hours earlier though. But pulls up a incident 5 years ago and about 3 or 4 different rule changes on the overtaking procedures/moving on brakes etc. Poor to bring up the Charles/Max incident.
I agree that some things changed, as Anthony said, the rule not to move under braking was introduced due to Max "defending style".
Anyway, for Fia, Liberty, Netflix, this race was gold. Everybody is speaking about Austrian F1 race. If Max have won with +8 seconds ore more, all the eyes would have been on Euro24 in 2 minutes after race finish :)))

Darth-Piekus

The question is. Can Mclaren appeal for a heavier punishment for Max? I feel like he escaped lightly for all the dirty driving he was doing for many laps.

mwillems

What's important, but being lost, is that Max was punished strongly for squeezing Lando. The stewards agreed that it was not fair racing and this is different to times in the past.
The outcome might have affected Lando more than Max in this situation, but the marker has been laid down that squeezing a driver like that and not leaving a cars width will be punished.

For Mclaren and for good racing in the future, this is not a small matter as two markers have been laid.

The first, is that Lando will not back out so easily under Over The Top aggression, so you are as likely to come off worse as you are better.
The second is that consistency not withstanding, Max will have to be more careful with these types of move in the future or face sanction.

So despite the disappointing end to Lando's race, there is a silver lining to this cloud.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

chrisc90 wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:09
IMHO, Lando should have also got a penalty for forcing Max off the track the lap or 2 before. Just like Nico did 24hours earlier.

Nico:

Lando:
Hmmm, these are different moves... Lando simply won the corner and the line by staying within track limits and making the overtake. In my view, Verstappen went off track and gained an unfair advantage as he should have ceded the corner, he made a deliberate choice not to and to race some distance away from the track by essentially creating his own high speed corner.

Nico didn't make the corner by nearly half a mile, totally blocked a driver and forced him off the road as he took himself off with it. He never had a chance to make the corner, only to cause a crash and disrupt other drivers.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MrGapes

Did anyone see if the front wing is damaged? I’m pretty sure that’s the only newish specification at risk, I’m sure they have spare floors etc.

BMMR61

A few observations before I go into deeper replay analysis later today;
This track as well as it's "track limits violations" is problematic - the DRS closing speed that funnels into very tight elbow type bends causes these tiny braking miscalculations that look "amateurish". All the drivers have been guilty at times. Max v Charles in the distant past.
Technically Max didn't violate the "moving in braking" rule as the track moved under him. What he did was ran Lando out of road - Lando already had his left wheels over the track limits when they collided.
What confirmed Max hasn't ridded himself of the ingrained win at all costs instinct was when even with a hobbled car he tried to run Lando off the track, that left a bad taste in my opinion. I'm seeing evidence of him going even beyond what he did with Lewis in 2021, more like a Schumacher dirty driving approach. It's in his instinct and Stella's comments were on the money.

Lando for his part needs to learn to button it as complaining doesn't sit well with many and it conveys weakness. Let your driving do the talking. Today his driving showed the steel that he would not be bullied and was here to win. Good show, just a bit of tidying up to get on the level of Max - smart racing without the dirt.

Tomsky
Tomsky

BMMR61

Has it occurred to anyone else that Max's swerve after the collision was somewhat of a Schumacher v Damon Hill wounded car lunge?

djos

BMMR61 wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 04:56
Has it occurred to anyone else that Max's swerve after the collision was somewhat of a Schumacher v Damon Hill wounded car lunge?
Now that you mention it, it does bear some resemblance.
"In downforce we trust"