2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ScuderiaLeo

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Leclerc interview to Canal+:

We're just not fast enough. I'm frustrated because we had the same balance issues at T1-2 all weekend but we weren't able to fix it. We couldn't expect much more, and it's frustrating. I'm disappointed, but I guess it's like this.

The frustration is worse at Monza because we brought developments specifically for this track, and even that isn't enough to reach McLaren. There's still a lot of work for us to do, that's all there is to say.
His patented "it's like this" is back... both drivers look incredibly disappointed post-qualifying. Whether more was on the table or not, it's clear they expected more.

I don't have the exact quote, but Sainz said in his interview that in order to make up for the issues in S1 he pushed more which killed his tires, hence his low S2/S3 times compared to Leclerc. Considering even he of all people was vocally annoyed by the understeer, it must have been stifling them a lot.

Fortunately, it shouldn't be as much of an issue in the race.

.Bole
.Bole

Vasseur has become Binotto full on 100%

Fred: "the balance was good"
Ferrari drivers: "the balance was ---". Lots of understeer

Space-heat
Space-heat

Sevach wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:35
Space-heat wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:14
All positive. Charles was fuming at P4, Bryan said they were losing .180s in T1-2, seems like the slow speed is an issue. However, hopefully those laps on used Soft in FP3 point to strong tire performance for the race. Only worry is being bottled up by George in the first stint and not being able to fight with Mclaren (if the race pace is there).
Sainz was ahead of Norris after S2(only just) and loses a lot in S3.
Seems like Charles is the opposite, they must've gone in different directions setup wise.

Waiting to see lap comparisons.

Hopefully the car good tire usage has been preserved.
I was actually just looking on F1 tempo. You are right Sainz was on for pole, shame it slipped away.

Looking at Rus, Sainz, Lec, Piastri and Norris. Ferrari are much quicker on all the straights (low df). DRS is diminished here but better to have the best top speed for any overtaking chance.

Space-heat
Space-heat

Space-heat wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:59
Sevach wrote:
Space-heat wrote:
All positive. Charles was fuming at P4, Bryan said they were losing .180s in T1-2, seems like the slow speed is an issue. However, hopefully those laps on used Soft in FP3 point to strong tire performance for the race. Only worry is being bottled up by George in the first stint and not being able to fight with Mclaren (if the race pace is there).
Seems like Charles is the opposite, they must've gone in different directions setup wise.

I was actually just looking on F1 tempo. You are right Sainz was on for pole, shame it slipped away.

https://i.imgur.com/pnliLDg.png

Looking at Rus, Sainz, Lec, Piastri and Norris. Ferrari are much quicker on all the straights (low df). DRS is diminished here but better to have the best top speed for any overtaking chance.
Here is Federico Albano - notes the higher top speed.

https://x.com/Fred__18/status/1829910004985446892

The qualification data of #ItalianGP :
- #Ferrari very unloaded and very fast on the straight, you can see it both from the indicators and clearly from the graph (as well as the map). #Leclerc struggles at Lesmo and then at Ascari (very much on the exit) and Parabolica.
- #McLaren more charged and very strong in the central sector, from Roggia to Serraglio #Norris flew
- #Mercedes similar to #Ferrari but with more balance between extension and curve, it seems slightly better balanced

Xyz22
Xyz22

Sainz was quick in sector 1 the entire weekend. He was way weaker in the second half of the lap.

The car is still suffering from major understeer in low speed that Carlos can manage better than Leclerc, especially in quali trim.

My post from earlier
Xyz22 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 16:11
Been able to watch a few onboards from Leclerc in FP3 and also the first lap in Q.
The car is still "suffering" from under rotation compared to what Leclerc is asking. Quite visible in some corners.

Emag
Emag

Space-heat wrote:
Sevach wrote:
Space-heat wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/pnliLDg.png

You should compare the first lap of Lando. I made the same mistake. He apparently messed something up in his last run on the first chicane and was down ~0.12s compared to his first lap.

Still, quite some time for Carlos on S1 that all goes away in the higher speed corners of S2 and S3

ScuderiaLeo

Space-heat wrote:

Looking at Leclerc vs Sainz's final laps, it's crazy how much Sainz was up on him until S3. He has a huge negative delta to in S1, but then it just slowly slips away until he loses it at the very, very end of S3. Norris' first lap is the same thing, Sainz is massively up in S1 but then it goes away in the final part of S3.

However according to his own interview, the only reason he had such a good S1 was because he was consciously sacrificing the final part of the lap, I don't think pole was actually on the table here. It wasn't like he made any mistakes in S3, his lap was very good, the car simply couldn't compete in all sectors at once.

I forgot Sainz took a new engine too, that might've affected the difference between him and Leclerc in S1, though I'm not sure by how much.

BTW... any chance of Piastri getting a penalty for the unsafe release?
Last edited by ScuderiaLeo on 31 Aug 2024, 18:17, edited 2 times in total.

Xyz22
Xyz22

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:12
Space-heat wrote:

Looking at Leclerc vs Sainz's final laps, it's crazy how much Sainz was up on him until S3. He has a huge negative delta to in S1, but then it just slowly slips away until he loses it at the very, very end of S3. Norris' first lap is the same thing, Sainz is massively up in S1 but then it goes away in the final part of S3.

However according to his own interview, the only reason he had such a good S1 was because he was consciously sacrificing the final part of the lap, I don't think pole was actually on the table here. It wasn't like he made any mistakes in S3, his lap was very good, the car simply couldn't compete in all sectors at once.
The main problem for Sainz will be race. If things didn't change from yesterday it will be a disaster.

Sevach
Sevach

Hopefully the straightline speed advantage will be even bigger in the race with no DRS.
And the straightline speed might translate into fuel usage(lighter car) and things like that.

JPower
JPower

Sainz said that pole might’ve been possible for the car without excessive understeer.

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

could they have used old front wing, mclaren did that today they were using some cutout wing yestarday and today they went back to there regular wing and bam good front end right? should ferrari not wasted effort to make all new front end wing?

Xyz22
Xyz22

JPower wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:34
Sainz said that pole might’ve been possible for the car without excessive understeer.
If Sainz is complaining about understeer the situation is worse than i thought :D

ScuderiaLeo

Another Leclerc interview:

- He thinks they could theoretically win based on tire deg but only if they get a good start and get past Russell. He thinks all the top teams will be strong but nobody will be significantly quicker than the rest.
- He doesn't know why he encountered so much understeer in S1 here compared to FP3 and Sainz's side. Could be conditions or another change they made; he isn't sure based on the information he has right now. Tomorrow he doesn't think it'll be a factor.
- He doesn't think this weekend has any bearings on whether the upgrades have helped with the bouncing, since they probably wouldn't have encountered any even with the old package. However, he's overall positive about the current spec.

Sainz:

- He had no issues with tire heating, but he could feel them slipping away in the middle of S2; the front got increasingly less stable. He expected this to some extent but not as severe as it turned out.
- He was very happy with his S1 (purple) and he thought he had a chance for pole up until he started getting understeer. During the lap, he knew by S3 that it wasn't likely.
- He feels like their car is more sensitive to track conditions than the others. They suffer more when the temperature drops (which is part of why he lost the front tires near the end of the lap). Without looking at the data he isn't sure how much this affected his time, but there are probably small details like this that cost them a front row.

(Via @FormulaPassion and Sky Sports) * Edited for spelling lol, my English is failing me today.
Last edited by ScuderiaLeo on 31 Aug 2024, 19:15, edited 5 times in total.

search

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:12

in the post qualifying interview on Sky, Leclerc said Sainz' S1 was faster due to a different setup, though

Xyz22
Xyz22

I dream of a quali session in which Leclerc doesn't ask for any FW increase