2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
nimoraca
nimoraca

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

That fact that Lewis beat Lando by only couple of tenths speaks volumes. They were actually showing their hands throughout the practice sessions while others didn't. This probably means that their race pace sim were real as well which will put them in a tough spot for tomorow. Also, RedBulls were fasters down the straights even without the tow so that means that overtaking Max will be difficult unless they messed up the strategy with the softs.

godlameroso

Stu wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:02
west52keep64 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 15:59
Red Bull are betting on a safety car, it's the only way the 2 stop can work tomorrow. It will be under the spot light it gets triggered by an AT...
Or McLaren, or Aston, or Williams (particularly if it is George!), I suppose?
You can make conspiracy work in multiple ways… 🤫
Exactly, no one bats an eye when a Williams and a Mercedes collide allowing Hamilton to undo a mistake.
Saishū kōnā

sushantasapkota1
sushantasapkota1

I think Lewis wants keep away from nax at start and bud gap and attack

Big Tea

Will Merc ask Lando to tailgun Lewis for the first few corners? and Would he do it if they did?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

El Scorchio

Stu wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:16
Mattyw wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:06
Interesting RB with the tiny rear wing and softs vs merc higher df and softs.

I'd guess ham just sits behind ver until he pits then puts his foot down to try and build a gap and try to overcut?
That works as long as he can protect his tyres (we all know that he is capable of that), but that is totally dictated by the pace of those immediately behind him.

What reaction do you (all) think that there would be if MV drives just fast enough to keep LH behind, but slow enough to keep the rest of the field close? Just like LH did with Rosberg (I think that was Abu Dhabi too, in Rosberg’s WDC year, 2016). I remember Rosberg on the radio fuming to the team about it.
He can do what he likes from the front of the race, but I think it would be incredibly risky to not just try and build a gap.

DChemTech
DChemTech

djones wrote:
Huge smile from Lewis “I can now see where he is”

This sums it up perfectly. Max p1 is utterly amazing for Lewis as it takes away that DNF lunge.
Just stop the ridiculous unsportive insinuations for a bit maybe :roll:

Artur Craft

Rocketship Mercedes now, suddenly, 0.4s behind Max, out of the blue ? :roll:

Hamilton blatantly let Max get pole because he fears this:

Regardless of that, if I found out tomorrow, when checking the results, that this was a "clean" race, I will be surprised:!:

I fell sorry for the mods(at least the nice ones) because tomorrow is gonna be a very busy day, in all likelyhood :lol:

west52keep64

nimoraca wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:17
That fact that Lewis beat Lando by only couple of tenths speaks volumes. They were actually showing their hands throughout the practice sessions while others didn't. This probably means that their race pace sim were real as well which will put them in a tough spot for tomorow. Also, RedBulls were fasters down the straights even without the tow so that means that overtaking Max will be difficult unless they messed up the strategy with the softs.
I agree, Red Bull have gone all in on track position, and it could work. They could pull out a gap at the start with their race pace advantage, and use Perez to screw with Hamilton's pit window. If Hamilton has to overtake Verstappen on track, it's going to be incredibly tough.

InsaneX_Badger

nimoraca wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:17
That is what I was thinking. Max didn't really need the tow, he will be very hard to keep up with on the straights with how little downforce he has, wonder if they used the tweaked floor they tested in Saudi Arabia too.

Mattyw
Mattyw

El Scorchio wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:19
Stu wrote:
Mattyw wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:06
Interesting RB with the tiny rear wing and softs vs merc higher df and softs.

I'd guess ham just sits behind ver until he pits then puts his foot down to try and build a gap and try to overcut?
That works as long as he can protect his tyres (we all know that he is capable of that), but that is totally dictated by the pace of those immediately behind him.

What reaction do you (all) think that there would be if MV drives just fast enough to keep LH behind, but slow enough to keep the rest of the field close? Just like LH did with Rosberg (I think that was Abu Dhabi too, in Rosberg’s WDC year, 2016). I remember Rosberg on the radio fuming to the team about it.
He can do what he likes from the front of the race, but I think it would be incredibly risky to not just try and build a gap.
Assuming Norris keeps p3 after t1 I doubt he would want to get involved in the two of them squabbling tbh

All come down to deg I reckon. If they deg quick max will have to build a gap and go for 2 stop and Lewis just has to play the long game I think?

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Bottas dropped the ball hard, again. He should be 3rd to safeguard LH.

Probably will be 7th or 8th after turn 1 (considering mediocre starts and Medium tyres), game over. His strategic position will be that of a moving obstacle, at best.

rogazilla
rogazilla

It is interesting. Outside of the tow. There is really nothing between max and lewis laps through out the qualifying. They are both on top of their games and way ahead of the field.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

This season really throws curveballs all the time. Didn’t see that coming. Tempting to say that RB will have a massive edge tomorrow given the time Max set in S3, but who knows how it will look when things settle..

Key for Hamilton will be to have a clean start and then try to push Verstappen into overcooking the softs as soon as possible. Wide open race!

max_speed
max_speed

Take a bow redbull. Pulled out rabbit out of hat. Race is tomm but advantage redbull. They will use perez to shadow hamilton like ghost.

e30ernest
e30ernest

The build up to this race just became way more exciting! Amazing teamwork by the Red Bull drivers to get Max up in front. Really can't wait for race start now.