Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Mercedes W13

Stu wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 21:41
organic wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 21:34
I don't think I've seen a team not running those slots yet! Williams, AMR, McLaren, Ferrari all had them for their shakedowns as well
From what I can find, it is part of the structure for the wheel deflector.
Ah #-o thank you for the clarification

hollus

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 13:43
ajprice wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 11:59
Mercedes floor surface

Looks like some sort of sea monster that lurks in the depths waiting for unsuspecting Nimo to swim by.
Crazy theory on the lasagna floor: Seeing how those waves first increase in amplitude, then in wavelength... can they be tuned such that the air stays attached up to a certain speed (no benefit, really, but also no hindrance as the air manages to bend fast enough), until, at a certain speed, they trip the nice flow stalling a few things? Like drag reduction over 300 km/h?
Rivals, not enemies.

timbo
timbo

hollus wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 23:03
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
ajprice wrote:
Mercedes floor surface

Looks like some sort of sea monster that lurks in the depths waiting for unsuspecting Nimo to swim by.
Crazy theory on the lasagna floor: Seeing how those waves first increase in amplitude, then in wavelength... can they be tunes such that the air stays attached up to a certain speed (no benefit, really, but also no hindrance as the air manages to bend fast enough), until, at a certain speed, they trip the nice flow stalling a few things? Like drag reduction over 300 km/h?
Maybe the opposite? If some kind of standing acoustic wave is generated in the underfloor and the wavelength depends on the ground clearance and car velocity, a series of waves may help to accommodate for different wavelengths.

LM10
LM10

hollus wrote:
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
ajprice wrote:
Mercedes floor surface

Crazy theory on the lasagna floor: Seeing how those waves first increase in amplitude, then in wavelength... can they be tuned such that the air stays attached up to a certain speed (no benefit, really, but also no hindrance as the air manages to bend fast enough), until, at a certain speed, they trip the nice flow stalling a few things? Like drag reduction over 300 km/h?
Would it be ideal to stall a ground effect car which already is highly sensitive regarding sudden loss of downforce?

zibby43
zibby43

Scarbs leading with a point that I was also trying to hammer home here during the launch: This car is not merely a development/continuation of the W12.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Stu wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 11:04
gcdugas wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 06:40
f1jcw wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 21:30
It’s strange when wibbly wobbly floors are more efficient then streamlined floors
Like a golf ball... dimples better than smooth...
Only if the ball is spinning. Does the floor spin?
Mythbusters golf ball car apparently had a reduction on drag:

OO7
OO7

zibby43 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 23:33
Scarbs leading with a point that I was also trying to hammer home here during the launch: This car is not merely a development/continuation of the W12.

https://youtu.be/iH2aj8x1udA
Nice one Zibby. It's been a while, how've you been!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

This picture from @firatkeskinf1 comparing the different cars seem to show the W13 with a short wheel base (departing their long wheel base philosophy)… It seems the rear tire was used to scale them (and yes, the fact that they are using the render may be distorting reality)… Interesting nonetheless:

zibby43
zibby43

OO7 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 23:57
zibby43 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 23:33

https://youtu.be/iH2aj8x1udA
Nice one Zibby. It's been a while, how've you been!
Thank you my friend! I have been well, many thanks for asking! Between starting a new job and needing to take a break after Abu Dhabi, I definitely dropped off the radar for a bit.

How have you been, OO7??

SiLo

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 00:20
This picture from @firatkeskinf1 comparing the different cars seem to show the W13 with a short wheel base (departing their long wheel base philosophy)… It seems the rear tire was used to scale them (and yes, the fact that they are using the render may be distorting reality)… Interesting nonetheless:

https://i.imgur.com/RFUUT7K.jpg
Should have used the wheel rim edge rather than the pirelli printing, it might not be accurate.

I guess as a ball park though it's good enough. Interesting to see how much Mercedes have shortened the wheelbase.
Felipe Baby!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

SiLo wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 01:05
SmallSoldier wrote:

Should have used the wheel rim edge rather than the pirelli printing, it might not be accurate.

I guess as a ball park though it's good enough. Interesting to see how much Mercedes have shortened the wheelbase.
Hopefully we will get real data soon… Between using renders and different angles, is probably too hard to make an accurate comparison… But it is indeed interesting if Mercedes did go on that direction

mantikos
mantikos

This thread has devolved into a pissing contest based on someone misquoting and misunderstanding what a Phd aero guy with relevant and recent F1 experience at a top team (who clearly says in his Q&A video he added a bunch of aero performance to the car during his tenure). Looks like people posting here have never watched all but 1 video he's posted and totally skipped his disclaimers about the fact that he's relying on his knowledge and recent experience but not on flow data and states he won't offer a subjective opinion on which is the better aero concept because he can't.

I have no horse in this race, but historically this forum has been more informed and nuanced than the drivel passed on other fan site type forums. Unfortunately, this appears to be coming to abrupt end based on BS posted in this thread about not only qualified, credentialed, and experienced folks with a ton more aero knowledge than most of us here, but also sidebar pissing contests about golf balls.

Humble request, it would be helpful if we could please re-establish:
1. If English isn't your first language, please re-read/re-watch what you are quoting as fact, people seem to be exponentially off based based on a game of telephone where the first person heard it wrong
2. Please read previous pages and posts before asking/posting the same thing the 10th time
3. Limit discussions to technical issues, not BS over people's credentials, especially when they are clearly validated

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

SmallSoldier wrote:

Given the fact that wheelbase is capped at 3600 mm, which is more or less what it was before 2022, cars are actually not shorter at all? If the maximum overhangs are the same as pre-2022? (1225 mm at the front and 810 mm for the rear)

I searched the 2022 Technical Regulations for 'overhang', but couldn't find anything!

cooken
cooken

timbo wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 23:08
hollus wrote:
ENGINE TUNER wrote:

Crazy theory on the lasagna floor: Seeing how those waves first increase in amplitude, then in wavelength... can they be tunes such that the air stays attached up to a certain speed (no benefit, really, but also no hindrance as the air manages to bend fast enough), until, at a certain speed, they trip the nice flow stalling a few things? Like drag reduction over 300 km/h?
Maybe the opposite? If some kind of standing acoustic wave is generated in the underfloor and the wavelength depends on the ground clearance and car velocity, a series of waves may help to accommodate for different wavelengths.
A series of waves from the floor eh? ....

... floorier?

... I'll show myself out now.

ringo

The wavy floor is not about about accoustics imo. There is a flow coming from under the tea tray that shoots out from under the floor towards the rear wheels. This was on the pre 2022 floors so im not sure how that flow looks now. But the waves in the floor are just flow straighteners. Its possible these behave as jets as well to better direct that flow to create a jet curtain that prevents air from migrating under the floor from outside. The regulations do not allow vanes to be placed under the floor to effect the same function, but with waving the floor you get the depressions in the floor to act at vanes.
That's as much as those vanes are doing i believe.
They are probably more effective now with the venturi floor for the 2022 regulations than they were last year with the barge board designed floors.
For Sure!!