Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
holeindalip
holeindalip

Re: Mercedes W13

These are a f1 standard part and cannot be modified just like the halo. So they should all be the same…

jagunx51

............!!!!

hollus

It literally says that the image below is in “infrared”.
Reading too much into something bounded by two “s” shapes being the same as something else bound by two “s” shapes. Who cares if one starts at the diffuser and the other one at the asphalt half a meter behind!

I am afraid we are up for a long pre-season with people fighting for clicks; truth be damned.

By the way, if posting from another language, please add an english translation or summary. I can read Spanish, but others can’t. English is the common language here.
Rivals, not enemies.

zibby43
zibby43

hollus wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 04:25
It literally says that the image below is in “infrared”.
Reading too much into something bounded by two “s” shapes being the same as something else bound by two “s” shapes. Who cares if one starts at the diffuser and the other one at the asphalt half a meter behind!

I am afraid we are up for a long pre-season with people fighting for clicks; truth be damned.

By the way, if posting from another language, please add an english translation or summary. I can read Spanish, but others can’t. English is the common language here.

From one of our own.

f1motta
f1motta

Shape the inner side of Mercedes W13 diffuser:

OO7
OO7

zibby43 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 00:39
OO7 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 23:57
zibby43 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 23:33
Scarbs leading with a point that I was also trying to hammer home here during the launch: This car is not merely a development/continuation of the W12.

https://youtu.be/iH2aj8x1udA
Nice one Zibby. It's been a while, how've you been!
Thank you my friend! I have been well, many thanks for asking! Between starting a new job and needing to take a break after Abu Dhabi, I definitely dropped off the radar for a bit.

How have you been, OO7??
Congrats on the new job!

I'm pretty good myself. I hear you about Abu Dhabi and now I'm just looking forward to see what Merc and the lovely W13 can unleash. The packaging on the car looks great and the PU department have stated they made a lot of changes to the PU. I really like the look of the car and Merc seems to have gone quite aggressive on the "Tiger Claws".

carisi2k

am314159 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 12:58

https://i.imgur.com/gqf4W2B.png
Screencaps from kyle.engineers' youtube vid where he refers to it as a "step" at the "flap adjuster bracket" and speculates to its uses for vortex generation.

Disclaimer: I'm not at all familiar with the rules and make no claims either way with regard to legality of the front wing, just pointing out what some people are seeing (perhaps carisi2k too?) and calling a "step" in the front wing.
Yes this is exactly what I was talking about. From my understanding of the rules this is illegal. Maybe someone can explain to me how this is legal.

basti313
basti313

carisi2k wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 12:06
am314159 wrote:

Screencaps from kyle.engineers' youtube vid where he refers to it as a "step" at the "flap adjuster bracket" and speculates to its uses for vortex generation.

Disclaimer: I'm not at all familiar with the rules and make no claims either way with regard to legality of the front wing, just pointing out what some people are seeing (perhaps carisi2k too?) and calling a "step" in the front wing.
Yes this is exactly what I was talking about. From my understanding of the rules this is illegal. Maybe someone can explain to me how this is legal.
There is no step. The vortex is coming from the mounts as for every one.
The special thing here might be the high front wing. Aston and Merc have much more space (now) under the wing, thus the vortex is also changed by this extra flow.
Don`t russel the hamster!

jjn9128

carisi2k wrote:
am314159 wrote:

You're not allowed to step the elements but you are allowed to adjust up to 2 of the elements - so long as at the highest angle the trailing edge is no more than 35mm from it's original position. Then you can add a little endplate to seal the flap tips - a lot of rules about it's thickness, placement in the y-direction, and material...etc.

It's cheeky but the FIA expected it.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

carisi2k wrote:
am314159 wrote:

They'll probably say the flap can be 'adjusted' in a way that leaves no step, and the step in merely a function of the way the wing pivots when adjusted.

jjn9128

That's my post they stole
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

zibby43
zibby43

OO7 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 10:53
zibby43 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 00:39
OO7 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 23:57

Nice one Zibby. It's been a while, how've you been!
Thank you my friend! I have been well, many thanks for asking! Between starting a new job and needing to take a break after Abu Dhabi, I definitely dropped off the radar for a bit.

How have you been, OO7??
Congrats on the new job!

I'm pretty good myself. I hear you about Abu Dhabi and now I'm just looking forward to see what Merc and the lovely W13 can unleash. The packaging on the car looks great and the PU department have stated they made a lot of changes to the PU. I really like the look of the car and Merc seems to have gone quite aggressive on the "Tiger Claws".
Thanks! And glad to hear it!

I agree. Of course, the stopwatch will tell all, but the level of sophistication and refinement in this early spec is impressive. Even the RW has some lovely details.

zibby43
zibby43

jjn9128 wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 00:38
That's my post they stole
Yep. I found your original and shared it a few posts down from that one.

ojir19

f1motta wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 08:57

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FL_XAxtXwAo ... name=large
imo, that is too concave

okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

dans79

ojir19 wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 07:30
f1motta wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 08:57

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FL_XAxtXwAo ... name=large
imo, that is too concave

https://i.postimg.cc/T1wrGywD/W13-FL-XAxtccc.jpg

Care to explain? That shot is so blurry I'm having a hard time telling what I'm looking at.
201 105 104 9 9 7