2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

saviour stivala wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 05:39
Number 44 will quickly adapt again to the car as soon as he is provided with the fastest car again, who wouldn't.
We are in a serious conversation here. Why bother trolling?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 02:17
saviour stivala wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 05:39
Number 44 will quickly adapt again to the car as soon as he is provided with the fastest car again, who wouldn't.
We are in a serious conversation here. Why bother trolling?
I was serious and wasn't trolling, I was talking facts as has been proved in past years when he was provided with the best, most powerful and fastest car on the grid.

Juzh

mendis wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 00:52
Juzh wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 21:49
aran.vtec wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 09:38

wasn't this rule changed after bottas jump start in 2017 when he moved before lights went out but didn't trigger the transponder?
No, they didn't change anything. In f1 you can pre-empt starting lights going out if you're lucky (bottas austria 2017).
Charlie Whiting had said, good luck if you can pre-empt and stay positive on the reaction time when the Bottas incident happened . So nothing wrong even if it's +0.01 of a second.
Bottas started moving before lights even went out (by around 0.02-0.04s), so by all usual definitions he jumped the start, however he didn't move enough distance to trigger an automatic sensor, and that's the only thing that matters as per f1 rules.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

For anyone who wants to be entertained, here is Chrono GP's fictional, and completely fabricated, W14B.
A lion must kill its prey.

F1Krof

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 21:29
For anyone who wants to be entertained, here is Chrono GP's fictional, and completely fabricated, W14B.
They are claiming they will go the AMR route with waterslides.
Wroom wroom

Wouter

A long exclusive interview with Toto Wolff on the Italian Motorsport site.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-wo ... /10453687/
The Power of Dreams!

chrisc90

Wouter wrote:
08 Apr 2023, 11:26
A long exclusive interview with Toto Wolff on the Italian Motorsport site.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-wo ... /10453687/
How do you have a role of Chief Technical Officer if you are not part of the team? Seems very strange to me. Is that a way of Mercedes having someone do that role, without effectively paying them out of the teams budget?

Stu

This is the AMG Petronas 2023 Team thread; trying to turn it into an individual glorification/vilification thread will render it outside of forum protocols.
Antagonistic, petty, childish behaviour will not be tolerated; remember….
“Report, not retaliate”.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

f1jcw
f1jcw

I’d the team is bringing a new car to Imola, would it be legal for one drive to drive the old car and the other driver to drive the new to test if the new car really is faster?

F1Krof

f1jcw wrote:
09 Apr 2023, 22:30
I’d the team is bringing a new car to Imola, would it be legal for one drive to drive the old car and the other driver to drive the new to test if the new car really is faster?
No not really. Last year Williams basically did the same. They had the b-spec for Albon whilst Latifi got the dog. Even though as it turned out Latifi got better result somehow (if I'm remembering it correctly).
Wroom wroom

mendis
mendis

f1jcw wrote:
09 Apr 2023, 22:30
If there is a major concept change, they would most likely face difficulties in doing so. Usually, new concepts or even major upgrades (2019 Winter test 2, Germany 2020) throws the teams off. It takes a couple of races to set the car in the right direction. If the wind tunnel numbers say it's better and the wind tunnel has no issues, then trust it and start understanding and optimising the package rather than comparing it on track. Having both cars with new package helps gain more data.

RS200E

ValeVida46 wrote:
04 Apr 2023, 15:15
basti313 wrote:
04 Apr 2023, 14:06
Because they did not.
For Williams it is a quite obvious backmarker move, they just changed the rad angle a bit, moved some auxiliaries. We can argue without making a real point about the word "concept", but they just put a big, empty piece of bodywork in front of the rear wheel. For me this is a quick fix of a bad car, not a concept. I would even say it was not a fix, it did not make the car any better.
Same for Aston. They did not make the car any better with a 1:1 sidepod copy of the RedBull. Because they could only change the internals for the 23 season. The performance jump is obvious, isn't it?

This is definitely not what Merc needs to do, Merc needs a concept to be/stay in the top 3.
I've provided the links to show that Williams did indeed change their cooling and rad positioning.
Aston too as pointed out here by the intrepid Fabrega.
viewtopic.php?t=30211&start=495

Whether that means quick fix of a bad car does not mean it's not possible to change as you suggest, nor does it automatically mean it will be bad.
As for what the gain would be for Mercedes to play around with their concept, only they would know as they are privy to the data.
I for one would not be inclined to say what Mercedes should or should not do, because of that very reason.
Everything is Data dependant, making assumptions based on what Aston and Williams did last year essentially ignores where they are this year...ie ahead of where they were last year. Surely that is ample evidence of progress.

Besides, we don't know what their changes will be and surely they deserve the same opportunity afforded to every other team to change based on their own data?
You make some good points but you're forgetting to add the most important factor... Everything is relevant to the competition. So it doesn't matter if Williams are faster than last year, they are still slower than the competition. Much slower.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

DGP123
DGP123

Toto stated Allison involved in key decisions but not to the extent that some suggested. Not convinced on that one.

Wouter

DGP123 wrote:
10 Apr 2023, 13:17
Toto stated Allison involved in key decisions but not to the extent that some suggested. Not convinced on that one.
However, rumours had bubbled up recently which suggested Allison was to return to Mercedes’ F1 scene after another tricky start to a campaign in F1 2023.

Wolff though made it clear that Allison’s duties within the team do not stretch any further than being involved in key discussions.

Asked how involved Allison is with the F1 business, Wolff replied: “He is not involved.

“He plays an active role when long-term team strategies are discussed, but nowadays he devotes his time to other activities such as the America’s Cup project and other programmes aimed at innovation.”
https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-wolf ... edes-role/
The Power of Dreams!

rijtuig
rijtuig

How was Schumacher an exception? We had no social media back then and the media was definitely less. We don't know that part for sure...