Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gordonthegun

Re: Ferrari SF23

christian.falavena wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 11:32
gordonthegun wrote:
Why double pylon again? Did they recycle last year one?
Confirmed floor with more external tie-rod as in Australia.
Maybe they want to maximize downforce coming from the beam wing/diffuser trying to use the double pylon to straightener the flows? Using the pylon as flow conditioner I mean
Shouldn't what you say be an advantage on all tracks? So, why to make an one pylon RW?

Vanja #66

Since SF70 and until this year, Ferrari always chose double swan neck (pylon) design. Single pylon was only introduced for new mid-downforce wing this year, so other wings from last year that feature double swan neck will still have them - in this case Baku 2022 wing, as expected.

Due to budget cap, you don't want to waste money on developments with small gain. RB had only 3 rear wings last year, vs 6 that Ferrari had overall, so Ferrari need to use them this year as much as possible.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

christian.falavena

Vanja #66 wrote:Since SF70 and until this year, Ferrari always chose double swan neck (pylon) design. Single pylon was only introduced for new mid-downforce wing this year, so other wings from last year that feature double swan neck will still have them - in this case Baku 2022 wing, as expected.

Due to budget cap, you don't want to waste money on developments with small gain. RB had only 3 rear wings last year, vs 6 that Ferrari had overall, so Ferrari need to use them this year as much as possible.
Are you completely sure about that? Seems very strange that the teams can recycle wings… does this means the SF-23 is a “Lego car”? ;)

sucof

Also, this is still only thursday. Not necessarily the setup they will race.
I might add as well that this weekend is like 2 race weekends in one, on a track which is breaking cars regularly. So perhaps they might prepare to having more spares, even using older parts on the sprint to spare the new ones for the full race? If that is allowed at all...? :)

Vanja #66

27 Apr 2023, 11:50
Are you completely sure about that? Seems very strange that the teams can recycle wings… does this means the SF-23 is a “Lego car”? ;)
Almost all teams are doing that, I think only RB and AMR brought 2 completely new rear wings this year and never used last-year's designs. Mercedes tested with 2022 lauch spec wing.

#BlessYouLaddie

gordonthegun

27 Apr 2023, 11:41
gordonthegun wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 11:32

Maybe they want to maximize downforce coming from the beam wing/diffuser trying to use the double pylon to straightener the flows? Using the pylon as flow conditioner I mean
Shouldn't what you say be an advantage on all tracks? So, why to make an one pylon RW?
Nice observation. My hypothesis is that with an hi-load wing is the wing itself to give some sort of direction to the fluid, with a less loaded wing maybe not.
But it’s only a supposition

Otherwise maybe with high speed and vibrations the wing is not sufficiently stable?
All good hypotheses, even if, when you build a single-pylon wing it should be strong enough for every track, but, maybe, Baku RW is unique and the same as last year and it wasn't convenient to make it single-pylon for one race, considering the cost cap.

christian.falavena

gordonthegun wrote:
gordonthegun wrote: Shouldn't what you say be an advantage on all tracks? So, why to make an one pylon RW?
Nice observation. My hypothesis is that with an hi-load wing is the wing itself to give some sort of direction to the fluid, with a less loaded wing maybe not.

Otherwise maybe with high speed and vibrations the wing is not sufficiently stable?
All good hypotheses, even if, when you build a single-pylon wing it should be strong enough for every track, but, maybe, Baku RW is unique and the same as last year and it wasn't convenient to make it single-pylon for one race, considering the cost cap.
Yeah but we’ve seen yet some problems in Bahrein… they’ve solved it but who knows…

gordonthegun

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 11:46
Since SF70 and until this year, Ferrari always chose double swan neck (pylon) design. Single pylon was only introduced for new mid-downforce wing this year, so other wings from last year that feature double swan neck will still have them - in this case Baku 2022 wing, as expected.

So, why to waste money this year for a single-pylon RW, which, I guess, gives a small gain?
Last edited by gordonthegun on 27 Apr 2023, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.

gordonthegun

27 Apr 2023, 11:57
gordonthegun wrote:

Yeah but we’ve seen yet some problems in Bahrein… they’ve solved it but who knows…
Sure, with Ferrari everything is possible!

Vanja #66

gordonthegun wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 12:04
So, why waste money this year for a single-pylon RW, which, I guess, gives a small gain?
Clearly it doesn't bring small gains, or they wouldn't do it. They changed the main plane compared to Canada 2022 spec, so you clearly need a new connection to the chassis, so they chose to do a monopylon design. DRS flap and endplates are completely the same as Canada 2022 wing, so money was saved there.

On the other hand, it's a clear mid-downforce design with improved aero efficiency concept from the above mentioned Canada 2022 spec. As a mid-downforce wing, my guess is it replaces 2022 launch spec wing, which wasn't efficient enough and had a poor DRS performance.

#BlessYouLaddie

gordonthegun

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 12:21
gordonthegun wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 12:04
So, why waste money this year for a single-pylon RW, which, I guess, gives a small gain?
Clearly it doesn't bring small gains, or they wouldn't do it. They changed the main plane compared to Canada 2022 spec, so you clearly need a new connection to the chassis, so they chose to do a monopylon design. DRS flap and endplates are completely the same as Canada 2022 wing, so money was saved there.

On the other hand, it's a clear mid-downforce design with improved aero efficiency concept from the above mentioned Canada 2022 spec. As a mid-downforce wing, my guess is it replaces 2022 launch spec wing, which wasn't efficient enough and had a poor DRS performance.

https://i.imgur.com/sy2NnSS.png
OK, thanks. I thought the single-pylon was a definitive solution for all the tracks this year.

Vanja #66

gordonthegun wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 12:33
OK, thanks. I thought the single-pylon was a definitive solution for all the tracks this year.
It's possible they will redesign all double-pylon wings they race this year to single-pylon wings for 2024. To be honest, I expect this year we'll mostly see the new wing in races, high-downforce Barca 22 wing in Barca, Monaco, Hungary and Mexico and this low-downforce Baku 22 wing in Baku, Miami, Spa and Monza, possibly Las Vegas.

I am 99% sure Ferrari wanted to use this low downforce wing also in Jeddah this year, but they had to test the new wing in the race so they made a compromise, after the wing failed in Bahrain and couldn't be raced.

#BlessYouLaddie

gordonthegun

Look at the edge of the floor:

Sevach
Sevach

Maybe this wing is too "low priority" to be rebuilt as a single pylon right now.

Maybe the "barn door" is the next one to go through this process, the medium one is the one the team will adopt on most tracks and was the highest priority.

christian.falavena

I think this may be interesting… sensor mounted in front of the rear wheel