2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Lucky
Lucky

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

CjC wrote:
07 May 2023, 10:04
Ben1980 wrote:
07 May 2023, 09:53
Lucky wrote:
07 May 2023, 09:48

In F1, every nuance is important. When a team is dispersed into several directions, it inevitably affects in a negative way.
How?

How does FE or Extreme negatively impact the F1 car and its development?
Lucky has a point. Mclaren have done this before. They have relatively decent success in F1 then branch out into other areas then the following seasons in F1 they start to suffer.

The Red Bull team based at Milton Keynes are solely driven to succeed in F1 and it shows. If anything Red Bull have the personnel to diverse into other category’s but choose to keep them all focused on producing the finest chassis F1 has ever seen.
That's right.

mclaren111

Swed3121 wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:55
SilviuAgo wrote:
06 May 2023, 22:51
We are talking here, get mad, talk about a history that McLaren made in F1 etc etc...and what will happend? Zak and Andrea will come with the same bullshit "point are given tomorrow", "we'll keep pushing", "next race will be better" and all this PR non-sense.
I am a McLaren fan for more than 25 years...but I would truly love to see Lando moving to a Top team, to win races and championships. He deserv better than what McLaren is now...a misery. 🤨💲
You, I and everyone else has on here who takes this team seriously should completely agree with this. Nobody should accept these answers anymore from zak and Andrea, they seems to just be buying time for themselves every weekend.

I recommend, for anyone wanting to see a papaya team not completely and utterly ruin the career of a up and coming talent. Watch the AMSP indycar Team. They seems to understand setup, balance and team development far better than McLarens F1 Team can currently

Zak Brown oversees the Indy Team as well...

Ben1980
Ben1980

Lucky wrote:
07 May 2023, 10:15
MrGapes wrote:
07 May 2023, 10:08
CjC wrote:

Lucky has a point. Mclaren have done this before. They have relatively decent success in F1 then branch out into other areas then the following seasons in F1 they start to suffer.

The Red Bull team based at Milton Keynes are solely driven to succeed in F1 and it shows. If anything Red Bull have the personnel to diverse into other category’s but choose to keep them all focused on producing the finest chassis F1 has ever seen.
You know there's a cost cap... where you can essentially have a limited amount of employees under the cap... and all these employees work solely on F1
And the management? Do we have four Zacks? Even a small nuance is important.
So, its just down to Zak Brown? He is the CEO of Mclaren Racing, not Mclaren F1. Its his job to oversee all entries.

Really clutching at straws on this one.

Lucky
Lucky

Ben1980 wrote:
07 May 2023, 10:23
Lucky wrote:
07 May 2023, 10:15
MrGapes wrote:

You know there's a cost cap... where you can essentially have a limited amount of employees under the cap... and all these employees work solely on F1
And the management? Do we have four Zacks? Even a small nuance is important.
So, its just down to Zak Brown? He is the CEO of Mclaren Racing, not Mclaren F1. Its his job to oversee all entries.

Really clutching at straws on this one.
It depends on everything, even the cook.

Slahinki
Slahinki

Once again we have improved by almost 1.5 seconds over last year, but unfortunately most other teams improved significantly more.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Lucky wrote:
07 May 2023, 10:16
CjC wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

How?

That's right.
Well, Red Bull Racing is set up for F1, but it's just an offset of the Red Bull group, and a subsidiary. Like the football teams that are owned. F1 is purely at the behest of the company. As we can see with talks of selling Alpha Tauri.

Mclaren F1 is set up for Formula-1 under the Mclaren Group. Its pretty similar.

Lucky
Lucky

Ben1980 wrote:
07 May 2023, 10:42
Lucky wrote:
07 May 2023, 10:16
CjC wrote:

That's right.
Well, Red Bull Racing is set up for F1, but it's just an offset of the Red Bull group, and a subsidiary. Like the football teams that are owned. F1 is purely at the behest of the company. As we can see with talks of selling Alpha Tauri.

Mclaren F1 is set up for Formula-1 under the Mclaren Group. Its pretty similar.
They have everything distributed, those who are engaged in F1 are engaged only in it, we have Zak engaged in F1, Indie, FE, Extreme.
Newey built yachts and F1 a few years ago, the result immediately became worse. It has now been returned.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Obviously it is disappointing to have a quali like we have had, but it was a very tight grid and when it’s that close teams that start the year on the back foot get exposed.

We’ve seen that with both McLaren and Mercedes AMG. Hamilton P13 remember.

You’ve also got an Aston knocked out in Q1 but you have the pay driver to factor in to that so that’s different.

I guess the upgrades were indeed only worth a couple of tenths and therefore we can only hope the development direction is correct.

At least they recognise it, have made the difficult tech changes, and now await the fruits of that in the months/years to come.

mclaren111

Lucky wrote:
07 May 2023, 09:33
Why McLaren Formula E, Extreme?
If you chase two hares, you won't catch up with one.

Agreed... F1 & Indycar is perfect...

mwillems

CjC wrote:
07 May 2023, 09:59
mwillems wrote:
07 May 2023, 09:32
CjC wrote:
07 May 2023, 09:22

They could do to sign another man from that era too. A certain Pat Fry.
I thought it was a shame then when Fry, Key and Mclaren couldn’t facilitate a structure to suit them all- resulting in Fry leaving.
It’s no coincidence that the Alpine has good down force and low drag.
They are still behind us in the table and only finished ahead last year due to a better driver pairing.

I'd not be happy to be an Alpine fan either these past few years.

Aston have set the benchmark for what can be done with the right knowledge and a bit of luck and Neither Mclaren or Alpine can shy away from their achievements, even if Alonso skills flatter the car a bit.
This season yes they are behind in the table but they should be way ahead. In Melbourne which became Mclaren best scoring race- Alpine should have scored a shed load of points.

Last season…. Ok the Alonso/ Ricciardo dynamic dominated the battle but Alpine showed a higher performance ceiling at certain tracks and for one reason or another couldn’t produce the result.
It was a bit like Mclaren in 2021 only they managed to produce the win and podiums when the pace was in the car.

You can’t deny that you would prefer to have Fry in the team than not?
To be fair I think we were the better car at maby tracks last year too, but only one driver could show it.

In terms of Pat Fry... I don't think he is a silver bullet, I think we need to improve everywhere.

Sanchez is a good start and now promdorou can have no excuses, so let's see how it goes.

They got a load of new talent in since Dec so maybe they have addressed it.

But I don't think the car is down to one person. Unless your Newey.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

CjC wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
Lucky wrote:
07 May 2023, 09:48

In F1, every nuance is important. When a team is dispersed into several directions, it inevitably affects in a negative way.
How?

I highly doubt having other divisions distracted Seidl and Key, who had nothing to do with them. It's the usual case at just point at what I can see first.

It started with the facilities, then it's the prominent tech leaders in the team, then it is some other racing areas.

I think the issue will be much more to do with those in the F1 team at large, perhaps even a culture, and not to do with just the things visible to the naked eye to outsiders who need a reason.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Slahinki wrote:
07 May 2023, 10:30
https://i.redd.it/8q26qwpwteya1.jpg

Once again we have improved by almost 1.5 seconds over last year, but unfortunately most other teams improved significantly more.
This is what I warned about when the Mclaren upgrade package was announced.

McG

KimiRai wrote:
07 May 2023, 06:59
McG wrote:
07 May 2023, 05:58
We are terrible. Going to be another tough year. Don't know why I've bothered to even watch the highlights. There is zero things interesting about F1 nowadays.
At least you are signing new people and will have a new windtunnel ready soon. Other teams can't say that.
You're right that is s positive. McLaren are at the end of another bad time but reality is now. It's also not guaranteed that the new wind tunnel will bring significant relative gains. So as usual as McLaren fans we just have to hope, just like every year for the past decade.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

CjC
CjC

AR3-GP wrote:
07 May 2023, 13:46
Slahinki wrote:
07 May 2023, 10:30
https://i.redd.it/8q26qwpwteya1.jpg

This is what I warned about when the Mclaren upgrade package was announced.
You have to think will Mclaren always be 3 months behind on development?
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

MrGapes wrote:
CjC wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

How?

Yea I’m aware of the cap.
What I wanted to say was Red Bull have a lot of quality employees who could work for them in other categories but the RB management keep them focused on the F1 car. I wasn’t necessarily saying they had an abundance of employees
Just a fan's point of view