2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Swed3121
Swed3121

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Szabi1112 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 22:49
Very good performance from Lando. So What updates will come in Silverstone? Nothing new, just Piastri will get the new package?
Current rumors, and that’s all they are, is a new front, rear and beam wing as well as possible other small aero bits and pieces, nothing mechanical afaik.
It is also worth remembering that this is for both Silverstone and the Hungaroring.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 22:50
Szabi1112 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 22:49
Very good performance from Lando. So What updates will come in Silverstone? Nothing new, just Piastri will get the new package?
I think wings were planned for Silverstone. Whether that means front wing or rear wing or both, I am not sure.
Nah I think they were just planning a BBQ.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Ben1980 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 17:51
Lando had his second warning towards the end, did he just coast it in to be safe and that's why Alonso was catching?
I think so. Both Lando and Sainz started to lap slower with about 10 laps to go. I figured the teams said "you can't be caught, so just bring the car home safely". I think the tyres were on about 25+ and Sainz had pushed defending against Perez.

Slahinki
Slahinki

the EDGE wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 22:40
Slahinki wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 22:15
the EDGE wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 22:04
Happy Lando’s 4th… but not happy about the situation

These penalties are a farce
The penalties themselves are fine. Drivers should be able to stay on the track if they want to not be penalised. However, there needs to be systems and personnel available to the stewards/FIA so they can deal with everything during the race. Having no final classification until five hours post-race is silly and at the very least borderline farcical.
Yes agreed, I did mean ‘post-race penalties’ and not the track limit infringements themselves, however, we don’t see this at other tracks, so clearly there must be a better solution here than handing out penalties left, right & centre

And as Lando said, staying within track limits is easy, until you have someone pressing you hard. This shows, as the penalties are for those who were being chased, not the ones doing the chasing
Yeah, I think the best thing to do would be grass or gravel instead of paved runoffs. That way the track sorts it out for you, but I also understand why tracks and the FIA might be reluctant to do so.

Swed3121
Swed3121

Slahinki wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:35
the EDGE wrote:
Slahinki wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 22:15

The penalties themselves are fine. Drivers should be able to stay on the track if they want to not be penalised. However, there needs to be systems and personnel available to the stewards/FIA so they can deal with everything during the race. Having no final classification until five hours post-race is silly and at the very least borderline farcical.
Yes agreed, I did mean ‘post-race penalties’ and not the track limit infringements themselves, however, we don’t see this at other tracks, so clearly there must be a better solution here than handing out penalties left, right & centre

And as Lando said, staying within track limits is easy, until you have someone pressing you hard. This shows, as the penalties are for those who were being chased, not the ones doing the chasing
Yeah, I think the best thing to do would be grass or gravel instead of paved runoffs. That way the track sorts it out for you, but I also understand why tracks and the FIA might be reluctant to do so.
Gravel is great and all especially for track limits, but anyone who has seen Pagenaud‘s very scary crash at mid-Ohio this weekend in indycar, knows that it’s a double edged sword

MTudor
MTudor

mwillems wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 21:15
I've a point for all of those who are celebrating the wonderful Aero already. I notice nobody has congratulated Peter Prodmorou on the work, given that his head has been called for 23,459 and a half times on here since last year when we were feeling a little more sensitive 😂
I wanted to but I forgot 😁😁😁
Serious now,I always thought that putting the blame on him it was exagerated and that the main problem was the poor infrastrure and the lack of responsability in the departments and now is fixed...almost(the infrastructure part).

MTudor
MTudor

lio007 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 13:17
ScottR267 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 13:11
lio007 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 13:01
It may have helped a bit as well that some Aston engineers joined the team since January - March this year.
I’ve only seen Grant Kennedy join already and Mariano Alperin is joining albeit not sure of a confirmed date for him- however given his senior role at Aston Martin much like with Sanchez and Marshall will be a period of gardening leave.

Weren’t there stories of 15 engineers from the top teams which also included Ferrari and Red Bull….wonder who and their positions
Next to Kennedy, Calvo and Zhu joined as well from Aston.
For those of us,like me who don't know what Cavo and Zhu does,please remaind me 😉😉😉

djos

Pretty frustrating race for Oscar, but the upgrades looked excellent on Lando's car, which bodes well.
"In downforce we trust"

BMMR61

Woke up to replay the race with feeling of pessimism around tyre deg. Pleasantly, make that euphoricly surprised with Lando’s great drive. Won’t invoke the “wait and see, told you so”, whoops there I went! As SS has done, I urge caution about expectations. Yes a big step has been made in F1 terms, easily 0.3-0.5 on a short lap which is mighty, but ebb and flow for circuit variance and other teams upgrade programs means we wait another week for a clearer picture.

What seems clear are several things;
The new technical team structure is working - PP did once express frustration towards Key’s dominant attitude over aero team.
Being on a sprint weekend there’s almost certainly more to be unlocked from the spec we saw today, let alone the imminent improvements next week.
The team did amazing job with only one FP in getting the car to its current level.

We are now in great anticipation to see what can be unlocked at high speed, high downforce Silverstone where the hardest three tyre compounds will be used if I’m not mistaken.
Disappointing for Oscar but a lot of his misery was compounded by circumstances, I won’t say beyond his control. He’s an amazing kid and will bounce back.

BMMR61

Sorry duplicate post 😊
Last edited by BMMR61 on 03 Jul 2023, 03:13, edited 3 times in total.

PikeStance

It seems we have surpassed the pace of Alpine, Mercedes and AM. Ferraris recent upgrades still have us behind them. Hopefully, the next two races upgrades will give us what we need to challenge for podiums.

I am little surprise by the sudden criticism of Piastri. Off race for him. I suspect he will improve with the upgrades. Todays was not indicative of what he has done thus far as a rookie driver.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

BMMR61

This is F1 and a very competitive field it is with high rate of development. Mercedes won’t be giving up on this car and AM are sure to be quick at Silverstone. Many here fail to appreciate how easy it is to fall behind and how hard to catch up let alone get ahead. For sure this wasn’t peak Piastri and I’m not going to waste breath speculating the why’s - I have some definite theories. He’s a much better talent than some are rating him, the fact he’s matched Lando’s times on a few occasions in the last few races proves it because today revealed just how good Lando is. Hold the line, this is the world of forums and there will be doubters and pessimists, I’m in for the long haul. McLaren are on their way back, how high is debatable because it will take a lot to derail this RedBull team.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

PikeStance wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 02:57
It seems we have surpassed the pace of Alpine, Mercedes and AM. Ferraris recent upgrades still have us behind them. Hopefully, the next two races upgrades will give us what we need to challenge for podiums.
My feeling is Austria suited the McLaren more, and Silverstone and Hungary will have AM, Alpine, and Mercedes back in front, but what I am hoping for from the upgrades is the gap is closer and race pace is better. Am happy to be proved wrong however :)

What was the reason Piastri had to pit again? Front wing damage from a collision with someone is what I heard.

Paul G
Paul G

Swed3121 wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 00:50
Slahinki wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:35
the EDGE wrote:

Gravel is great and all especially for track limits, but anyone who has seen Pagenaud‘s very scary crash at mid-Ohio this weekend in indycar, knows that it’s a double edged sword
Pagenaud's crash was made worse by the track design. Slightly banked corner than falling away to the gravel. He flew 100 ft before hitting the gravel.

PikeStance

Mostlyeels wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 03:14
PikeStance wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 02:57
My feeling is Austria suited the McLaren more, and Silverstone and Hungary will have AM, Alpine, and Mercedes back in front, but what I am hoping for from the upgrades is the gap is closer and race pace is better. Am happy to be proved wrong however :)

What was the reason Piastri had to pit again? Front wing damage from a collision with someone is what I heard.
Last question, yes, I believe a collision with Stroll.

I am not a big fan of cars to track excuse. I think that driver affinity, car setup, and track temps seem to have a far greater impact on performance than car track suitability. With a more traditional format, those teams will most likely perform better, but so should we. Ideally if we can cut off the tire issue with the next upgrade so that we are not in the same predicament as Haas.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans