2023 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
DDopey
DDopey

Re: 2023 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 28 - 30

taperoo2k wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 18:39
DDopey wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 18:23
taperoo2k wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 18:20

Perez tyres had gone off, where else was Lewis meant to place his car?
That was a racing incident, not worthy of a penalty. I'd say the same thing if
it were Max overtaking Perez and making contact.
Do you even look at the right moment ?

Lewis slides into Perez, he was not placing his car, it was overspeed in the corner.
It was a racing incident, if Perez's tyres had not gone off Lewis wouldn't have been in a
position to overtake Perez. If that were Max in Lewis's position you'd not be saying a word about it other than
probably blaming Perez for it if Max were given a penalty.

I'm an old school F1 fan, I absolutely despise the tribalism that's entered the sport.
This isn't football, Formula One remains an incredibly dangerous sport and the least we
can do is be respectful to all of the drivers. I hope none of the newer fans of F1 ever have
to experience a weekend like the one where Ratzenberger and Senna died.
Mate you are kidding yourself, Perez had no where to go. Lewis went outside and hit him. Simple as that, Perez race destroyed, Lewis only 5 sec.

Mogster

organic wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 20:16
Perez drives a regular line in the corner compared to other drivers, as he's entitled to do. He leaves space on the inside

Perez onboard:

Not very much space, Hamilton is way over the kerb, that’s why he understeers. It may have been OK in the dry but in the wet this was always going to happen. Racing incident.

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

Google thinks it's gonna rain again tomorrow, does anyone know what tires each driver still has left (especially intermediates)?

holeindalip
holeindalip

napoleon1981 wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 20:23
Its a good rule that an inside car cant understeer into the one on the outside. When you are on the outside you cant do anything to avoid such incidents (assuming you drive the corner out wide). Its the job of the car on the inside to keep it clean when given reasonable space. Hamilton clearly decided to send it and stay into it. He is a master at this move.
Brazil ‘21 the inside car made no attempt to make the corner and went a 100 meters off track…. Some rule huh….

Oleo
Oleo

Mogster wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 20:45
organic wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 20:16
Perez drives a regular line in the corner compared to other drivers, as he's entitled to do. He leaves space on the inside

Perez onboard:

Not very much space, Hamilton is way over the kerb, that’s why he understeers. It may have been OK in the dry but in the wet this was always going to happen. Racing incident.
Hamilton fans Spa 2022: Hamilton left enough space, Alonso should have backed out.
Hamilton fans Spa 2023: Perez did not leave enough space, nothing Hamilton could have done.
:lol:

Sieper

I found Max overtake on Piastri quite impressive. That close to him through raidillon, wow. Oscar is also really impressive. Calm, collected, fast. McL has a great line up and he was right to go for them.

Cs98
Cs98

organic wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 18:41
If anyone is interested in seeing a replay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_H4Edwy-cw
An obvious 5 second penalty.

TEHNOS

Sieper wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 21:19
I found Max overtake on Piastri quite impressive. That close to him through raidillon, wow. Oscar is also really impressive. Calm, collected, fast. McL has a great line up and he was right to go for them.
Check the King of Spa move on Fisi in 2009

Cs98
Cs98

Hammerfist wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 19:00
Willy wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 18:51
Regardless of who is involved, while making an attempt to overtake, the onus to keep it clean is on the driver attempting overtake. It has always been a rule.
Not according to the revised rules from 2022. If the attacking car on the inside has a significant overlap the defending driver on the outside has to leave enough room or be seen at fault. Merc should really appeal this penalty.
Incorrect. The attacking car (Hamilton) must leave room if the outside defending car is ahead "from the apex". The stewards clearly saw that Perez had his nose ahead from the apex and was entitled to space on the outside. They also saw the clear track Hamilton had to his inside and his understeer and determined he was at fault. The driving guidelines were followed to the letter.

TimW
TimW

I don't understand why people get so upset about 5 seconds time penalties being handed out for things like this.

Sure you can call it a racing incident, but it is clearly an incident caused by a driver error by Hamilton. Nothing intentional, but why should there be nothing for it? Alonso makes a mistake and pays a price (by ending his race), Hamilton makes a mistake and pays a price. Nothing big. It will not stop him (or others)from teaching hard. I don't blame him for it, I hope he keeps racing like he does, but I also don't mind that a mistake cost him something.
Last edited by TimW on 29 Jul 2023, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

napoleon1981
napoleon1981

holeindalip wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 21:16
napoleon1981 wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 20:23
Its a good rule that an inside car cant understeer into the one on the outside. When you are on the outside you cant do anything to avoid such incidents (assuming you drive the corner out wide). Its the job of the car on the inside to keep it clean when given reasonable space. Hamilton clearly decided to send it and stay into it. He is a master at this move.
Brazil ‘21 the inside car made no attempt to make the corner and went a 100 meters off track…. Some rule huh….
That is an incident that should have been called on the #1 car/33 at the time. That being said, Brazil 21 does not justify spa 23. Cherry picking events is not very helpful in this analysis. There are a whole lot of other examples and a history of Hamilton picking on RB rear tires from, sidepods (checo, albon and Max) that you conveniently leave out.

langedweil

GrizzleBoy wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 19:40
Also, if I'm trolling for saying Sergio squeezed Ham, then the official FIA penalty document that was in the post you quoted is trolling where it quite literally says Sergio left Hamilton "little room" at the apex where they say in their won words is what caused Ham to go to the kerb and lose traction in the first place.......so..
Little room is still a whole lot more than no room; there was about 1,5 cars width available that disappeared when Ham understeered.
I don't see any juxtaposition in that statement really. I'm unbiased whether it was a penalty or not, but understeering into someone never looks good on anyone ..
Last edited by langedweil on 29 Jul 2023, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
HuggaWugga !

Cs98
Cs98

TimW wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 21:41
I don't understand why people get so upset about 5 seconds time penalties being handed out for things like this.

Sure you can call it a racing incident, but it is clearly an incident caused by a driver error by Hamilton. Nothing intentional, but why should there be nothing for it? Alonso makes a mistake and pays a price, Hamilton makes a mistake and pays a price. Nothing big. It will not stop him (out others)from teaching hard. I don't blame him for it, I hope he keeps racing like he does, but I also don't mind that a mistake cost him something.
They're not upset at 5 second penalties. They're upset their favourite driver got penalised and now feel the need to defend him and ascribe blame elsewhere. He made a mistake, got penalised, we move on.

Steven
Owner

Detail of damage on Perez' sidepod:

the EDGE
the EDGE

Steven wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:08
Detail of damage on Perez' sidepod:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F2OR3AXXQAA ... name=large
Think it was caused by Merc’s SIPS wing?