McLaren MCL60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: McLaren MCL60

What do you mean by "horizontal" and "vertical" when you talk about beamwings?

MrGapes

organic wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 09:54

sorry for the sloppy illustration, just emphasizing the orientation of the wings.

Top = Hori/Vert
Middle = Hori/Hori
Bottom = Vert/Vert

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 10:16
organic wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 09:54
https://ibb.co/hCBr6vv

sorry for the sloppy illustration, just emphasizing the orientation of the wings.

Top = Hori/Vert
Middle = Hori/Hori
Bottom = Vert/Vert
This is the angle of attach (AoA) of the wings.

We did run with a much less aggressive AoO earlier in the season but I don't recall it ever seeing the light of day again.

On the pictures you posted the 2nd is quite flat, but the 1st has the same or similar AoA at the inner portion but becomes less pronounced as the beam wing extends horizontally. it isn't a single AoA, it's loaded more at the inside. On the lower DF setup the beam wing is being asked to do a bit more for the low pressure zone behind and below, but again it is a simple design.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

MrGapes wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 09:47
https://ibb.co/fMHwGF0

Double hori. beam wing planes as expected on higher df configuration.

https://ibb.co/Jv7Zz90

More conventional hori/vert beam wing on lower df.
I thank the comrade for these photos. If I understand correctly, with a loaded rear wing, an unloaded beam wing is used. With an unloaded rear wing, a slightly more loaded beam wing is used. From this I can assume that the team is looking to get a certain amount of downforce in the rear, as well as balance the flows and try not to go beyond a certain amount of drag.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 10:46
MrGapes wrote:

I thank the comrade for these photos. If I understand correctly, with a loaded rear wing, an unloaded beam wing is used. With an unloaded rear wing, a slightly more loaded beam wing is used. From this I can assume that the team is looking to get a certain amount of downforce in the rear, as well as balance the flows and try not to go beyond a certain amount of drag.
I think it is more about the low pressure zone and expansion of air around the diffuser than DF.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 10:57
LionsHeart wrote:
MrGapes wrote:

I think it is more about the low pressure zone and expansion of air around the diffuser than DF.
This does not contradict my words. The lower the pressure under the wing, then we get more downforce.
I also have an idea that in McLaren I will try to extract more efficiency, top speed and less drag with a larger rear wing, as the effect of the DRS will be greater. But that's where I stop my discussion for now. I want to see how the first two free sessions go.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 11:05
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

This does not contradict my words. The lower the pressure under the wing, then we get more downforce.
I also have an idea that in McLaren I will try to extract more efficiency, top speed and less drag with a larger rear wing, as the effect of the DRS will be greater. But that's where I stop my discussion for now. I want to see how the first two free sessions go.
Well the downforce wouldn't just appear at the rear as the floor will be designed to balance the Suction/DF under the car. So the beam wings aren't really for DF at the rear, but for the extraction of air from the floor and DF throughout the floor as a result of the enhanced expansion from the diffuser. I'm just adding to be clear because your words suggest that the impact is the direct generation of DF by the Beam Wing, which won't be that big.

-Bandit

organic

Friday

📸 Thomas Maher

Tomsky
Tomsky

Tomsky
Tomsky

CjC
CjC

Tomsky wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 13:03
https://i.imgur.com/GYbGHKn.jpeg
Glad to see at least one item is an overall performance modification👍🏻
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 11:10
LionsHeart wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 11:05
mwillems wrote:

Well the downforce wouldn't just appear at the rear as the floor will be designed to balance the Suction/DF under the car. So the beam wings aren't really for DF at the rear, but for the extraction of air from the floor and DF throughout the floor as a result of the enhanced expansion from the diffuser. I'm just adding to be clear because your words suggest that the impact is the direct generation of DF by the Beam Wing, which won't be that big.
Again, you misunderstood me. :)

No, it's all right. Everything is exactly like that. The beam wing is more often used to strengthen the diffuser, which is true, and the diffuser, in turn, enhances the work of the bottom, which ultimately leads to an increase in downforce. And as a rule, not only behind, but also in the center of the chassis. We both mentioned earlier that aerodynamic balance is important.

Maybe I sometimes misinterpret my thoughts, but oh well. :D

mclaren111

Rear Wing Comparison...

mclaren111

New Rear Wing End Plate...

f1rules
f1rules

the brake duct update, they managed to reduce the height so more (clean) flow will reach the sidepod