2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:20
mwillems wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:07
CjC wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 16:56

Yes very true but if Albon put it in the wall early then we would have been P6&7. We know the limitations and how racing works.
We got what we deserved, apart from Piastri who deserved 9th place, or at least to fight Alonso for it, I think. You don't win races and championships by hoping people bin it, but by having a fast car, we were the 5th fastest car in the weekend. But you can clearly see that a small improvement would have us up to 3rd in this weekend, but the car isn't there yet.
They had a good race overall, it was just very difficult to overtake in Monza… Whether you were driving a McLaren or not, Red Bull also struggled and capitalized more on mistakes from the cars in front than simply the speed of their car.
The Williams is a better car than some people think and not just about straight line speed, it is just that they have only one good driver. They are decent in the corners here as well as having fantastic straight line speed. We needed to be a bit faster in either the corners or the straights to get past, preferably the straights.

Whilst with this wing we did well here, you can see that the package is average of the grid for drag.
Good shout on us not dropping back too much, I'm happy to be wrong on my fears.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

There was a time when you would be penalized with 5 or 10 track positions on the next race if you caused a collision that destroyed the race of another driver and usually they raced during rain. Compared to back then todays rules are a joke
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 03 Sep 2023, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:21
willmesquita wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:12
FittingMechanics wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 16:37
A shame about Albon, his heavy defending cost us a spot against Hamilton.
Should be better no give back position after passing Albon off track, Norris could easily open up a 5s gap and stay ahead as Hamilton did.

Need to be Schumacher sometimes...
I’m glad he has more sportsmanship than Schumacher :)
Haha me too, but it's not sportsmanship to push off the track so whilst I don't believe in an eye for an eye in general, I would have been happy for him to push ahead on this occassion.

-Bandit

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:25
There was a time when you would be penalized with 5 or 10 track positions on the next race if you caused a collision that destroyed the race of another driver and usually they raced during rain. Compared to back then todays rules are a joke
Everything that doesn't go your way is a joke.

That is a joke.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Do you disagree that the rules are much too soft now compared to a decade before?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ben1980 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:22
SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:18
Ben1980 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 16:58

But, they should be able to take into account the consequences. Causing an incident which means the other person has say a 10 second pit stop. Then why can't a penalty be 15 seconds.
Because it will be unmanageable… Consequences will also be track specific and depending on the drivers involved… In order to have any sort of consistency in the rules, you have to punish the actions, regardless of the consequence (beyond the fact that doing it based on consequences will open a lot of chicanery from the teams).
I know all that, and fully accept it.

But, the penalties for Russell and Hamilton being the sane, when the impact on the race was vast, makes it seem that its not really a fair system.
I understand that some times it may seem that way (specially when a driver one roots for is negatively affected)… But I believe the application of the rules was consistent and I’m ok with it.

Darth-Piekus

The penalties are consistent indeed but they have become too soft. A decade before that stunt would have costed Hamilton 5 or 10 places on the next race grid.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:24
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:07

We got what we deserved, apart from Piastri who deserved 9th place, or at least to fight Alonso for it, I think. You don't win races and championships by hoping people bin it, but by having a fast car, we were the 5th fastest car in the weekend. But you can clearly see that a small improvement would have us up to 3rd in this weekend, but the car isn't there yet.
They had a good race overall, it was just very difficult to overtake in Monza… Whether you were driving a McLaren or not, Red Bull also struggled and capitalized more on mistakes from the cars in front than simply the speed of their car.
The Williams is a better car than some people think and not just about straight line speed, it is just that they have only one good driver. They are decent in the corners here as well as having fantastic straight line speed. We needed to be a bit faster in either the corners or the straights to get past, preferably the straights.

Whilst with this wing we did well here, you can see that the package is average of the grid for drag.
I agree, Williams is now a solid midfield car… Yes, it will take advantage in races like Monza and go to the upper portion of the midfield and struggle a bit more in others and go towards the back of that pack… But, it simply was hard for everyone to make the overtake… Hamilton managed because he had a massive tire advantage in a similar strategy, he would have probably also struggle to get past.

No one is keeping score, lol… At the end, part of the fun is making predictions… If we will always get them right, we wouldn’t be here, we would be enjoying every race trackside with all the money we would make from the stock market :)

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:27
Do you disagree that the rules are much too soft now compared to a decade before?
No. I'm much happier with more fiesty racing than getting slapped wrists for looking at someone with the wrong attitude as it was a while back.

When Ver came on the scene he totally change everyones view of what is exciting, and then pushed it too far consistently until he started getting penalised and now everyone has hard fair racing and occasionally you see some mistakes.

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
willmesquita wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:12

Should be better no give back position after passing Albon off track, Norris could easily open up a 5s gap and stay ahead as Hamilton did.

Need to be Schumacher sometimes...
Haha me too, but it's not sportsmanship to push off the track so whilst I don't believe in an eye for an eye in general, I would have been happy for him to push ahead on this occassion.
I would have probably had red mist too!… Didn’t they made a clarification to the rules to prevent exactly this? In situations when a driver gains an advantage by going out of track limits? I believe there was one in the last couple of years, but can’t remember… Imagine a fast car stuck in traffic that knows that he can make 10-15 seconds to the cars behind in a track where is difficult to overtake, would be a sound strategy :)

mclaren111

LH will have to more or less kill someone before being punished appropriately... :oops: :oops:

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:37
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I would have probably had red mist too!… Didn’t they made a clarification to the rules to prevent exactly this? In situations when a driver gains an advantage by going out of track limits? I believe there was one in the last couple of years, but can’t remember… Imagine a fast car stuck in traffic that knows that he can make 10-15 seconds to the cars behind in a track where is difficult to overtake, would be a sound strategy :)
It's more because I think he would otherwise have been past, but I need to look again.

-Bandit

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:34
mwillems wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:24
SmallSoldier wrote:

I agree, Williams is now a solid midfield car… Yes, it will take advantage in races like Monza and go to the upper portion of the midfield and struggle a bit more in others and go towards the back of that pack… But, it simply was hard for everyone to make the overtake… Hamilton managed because he had a massive tire advantage in a similar strategy, he would have probably also struggle to get past.

No one is keeping score, lol… At the end, part of the fun is making predictions… If we will always get them right, we wouldn’t be here, we would be enjoying every race trackside with all the money we would make from the stock market :)
I'm not keeping score I just don't mind being wrong lol But I'm right plenty of times too so it's easier :mrgreen:

My prediction on Friday was top ten so I wasn't too bad this weekend, just got tyre deg wrong on Saturday!

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

mwillems wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:34
No. I'm much happier with more fiesty racing than getting slapped wrists for looking at someone with the wrong attitude as it was a while back.When Ver came on the scene he totally change everyones view of what is exciting, and then pushed it too far consistently until he started getting penalised and now everyone has hard fair racing and occasionally you see some mistakes.
I am glad that you dont disagree. I am also in favor of good racing as long as you dont destroy the race of another cause if you do its fair game you get penalized. Also harder and more exciting fair racing existed from the days of Senna. Verstappen provided nothing new.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 17:17
From what I see Hamilton opened 2,3 from Albon and 2,7 from Norris. Is that before or after that penalty?
That is after penalty.