2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Piastri is smart, he doesn't make drama just calmly deals with situations, both on and off track. The Alpine situation suggests to me that we dont want to appear to mess this guy around once he has earned his stripes, and he earnt those quickly. So I would rather see him not pushed down any more.

When asked about Lando Max went out of his way to make clear that Mclaren has 2 contenders to partner him and others will also ba talking with Mark Webber.

Let's treat them both right and get Oscar signed up to a multi year deal because I think Oscar will target his quickest root to the top. For me he has the natural talent of Max and Lewis and the mentality of someone 20 years more experienced.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

organic wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 01:24
SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 01:18
organic wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 01:08
Will they explain why they keep undercutting piastri with Norris
They already did… Both times… Not that they have to explain to anyone but the drivers… And even if they are favoring Lando, what’s the problem with that… He is leading in the stats, is the “veteran” in the team and arguably the leader from a driver point of view.
Pretty much every team gives priority to their leading driver on track. The exception is RB and that's because max is a clear #1 on pace. Lando does not have a tenth on piastri for the last few races yet they still give him pitstop strategies as though piastri is tenths per lap off and holding up Norris.

I'm just surprised they haven't stopped doing that now that the pace difference is minimal
What’s easier for the driver in front to take? Being under cut or asked to move over on track?
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 08:30
organic wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 01:18

They already did… Both times… Not that they have to explain to anyone but the drivers… And even if they are favoring Lando, what’s the problem with that… He is leading in the stats, is the “veteran” in the team and arguably the leader from a driver point of view.
Pretty much every team gives priority to their leading driver on track. The exception is RB and that's because max is a clear #1 on pace. Lando does not have a tenth on piastri for the last few races yet they still give him pitstop strategies as though piastri is tenths per lap off and holding up Norris.

I'm just surprised they haven't stopped doing that now that the pace difference is minimal
What’s easier for the driver in front to take? Being under cut or asked to move over on track?
Why do either? He earned his spot in front of Lando. If he wants to see it this way then the team dropping him back is why he then was first vulnerable to Hamilton. Did he deserve that?

I dont think so and I don't want to mess this guy around.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

Both drivers need to just suck it up, and realise that decisions are made for the good of the team. Neither are bigger than the team.

I dobt believe the team are trying to favor one over the other anyway.

Ben1980
Ben1980

As mentioned the pit stop was half a second in Lando favor. If not, then they remain as they were, and it's done as they hoped, and remained the sane aswell.

mwillems

He just needed to suck it up at Alpine too and drive for Williams, or promote to Alpine when Alonso left...

Oscar doesn't suck things just cos people want to put them in his mouth 😆

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 09:06
CjC wrote:
organic wrote:

Why do either? He earned his spot in front of Lando. If he wants to see it this way then the team dropping him back is why he then was first vulnerable to Hamilton. Did he deserve that?

The team are learning how to handle the situation as well- they have been out of practise with this problem since Sainz left🤣
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 09:40
mwillems wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 09:06
CjC wrote:

The team are learning how to handle the situation as well- they have been out of practise with this problem since Sainz left🤣
Sure that's fine. Stop now please Mclaren. He's going to be in demand, he's not afraid to move and he's 4 months away from his final year here and he's the most exciting young driver since Leclerc.

Sooooo let's not rock the boat and just do what most teams do with the lead driver on track.... let's not poke the bear!

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

People are blowing things out of proportion. In both cases where Lando was given the "undercut", he was under threat from behind and it makes sense for the car following (Lando) to pit first. McLaren obviously favors team before any driver and has often asked drivers to let each other through if the pace differential is big enough (and to return the spot if nothing comes out of it). Quite sensible approach and not something that favors one driver or the other.

I'm sure if Hamilton was not 0.5s behind Norris, that they wouldn't have done it that way and that they would have either tried to make a switch on track (to see if Norris is really faster as he was saying) or Piastri would get first choice of pitting time.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 09:53
People are blowing things out of proportion. In both cases where Lando was given the "undercut", he was under threat from behind and it makes sense for the car following (Lando) to pit first. McLaren obviously favors team before any driver and has often asked drivers to let each other through if the pace differential is big enough (and to return the spot if nothing comes out of it). Quite sensible approach and not something that favors one driver or the other.

I'm sure if Hamilton was not 0.5s behind Norris, that they wouldn't have done it that way and that they would have either tried to make a switch on track (to see if Norris is really faster as he was saying) or Piastri would get first choice of pitting time.
I don't think it is an issue at this point, I just don't want it to become one and I don't want to see this again.

As it was, Hamilton was always going to get past him and had he stayed on track it would have put him into a battle with Alonso at the end who was faster. So I don't like making one safe at the expense of the other, because we don't know it will actually work.

-Bandit

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 09:45
and he's the most exciting young driver since Leclerc.
What nonsense. Oscar loses in the qualifiers to his partner 11-3. Lando beat Sainz in the qualifiers in the year of his debut.
Lando was 19 years old in the year of his debut, Oscar was 22 years old. At this age, such an age difference is of great importance.
Oscar is a great newcomer, but there is no need to exaggerate.
Last edited by Tomsky on 04 Sep 2023, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.

billamend
billamend

organic wrote:
Pretty much every team gives priority to their leading driver on track.
Except Mercedes with their "Valteri, its James". Or even recently Ferrari against Sainz, multiple times.

mclaren111

Ben1980 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 16:50
I do wonder if penalties should match any impact on the other driver.

100%...

PikeStance

Concerning the "undercut,"... "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!" Rhett Butler, Gone with the Wind. It wasn't for the podium so it doesn't matter.

Concerning speed,.. Again who cares, Regardless of where you are, you're still second best.

The race pace and tire degradation seemed improved, but there is still much to be done.

Norris has a tendency to become timid in passing. He lacks the aggression that Piastri has. I think we should expect both of them to drive within close proximity to each other for the remainder of the season.

I hope to see more improvements in two weeks! It looks like we will.

------

Concerning penalties. It seems light. For illegal pass, it seems fair to have a 5-second penalty, but collisions should at least be 10 secs. That being said, I think the contact was accidental, so not much more than that. If the standard is 5 seconds, then there isn't much room to argue. A grid loss should only happen if the contact is egregious or dangerous. I didn't see that in this incident.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

mclaren111

Ben1980 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 19:44
I love Andrea and his little twitter updates after the race. He really does get it.

Confirmed upgrades for Singapore.
Link ?