2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Tomsky wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 11:03
mwillems wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 09:45
and he's the most exciting young driver since Leclerc.
What nonsense. Oscar loses in the qualifiers to his partner 11-3. Lando beat Sainz in the qualifiers in the year of his debut.
Lando was 19 years old in the year of his debut, Oscar was 22 years old. At this age, such an age difference is of great importance.
Oscar is a great newcomer, but there is no need to exaggerate.
He's much better than Lando even when he was in his second season and possibly in his third and he's very close in the race pace to someone considered an elite driver in his 5th season and the difference in Qualifying is Marginal!!!! It's not very clever to quote a record when the actual gap to create that record is is more relevant.

Dear lord, are you blind or something. Nonsense my *rse. Max thinks he is almost as strong as Lando after half season but I guess he is talking nonsense too :D :D :D

=D> =D> =D>

:wtf:
Last edited by mwillems on 04 Sep 2023, 12:11, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mclaren111

elldizzle wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 00:08
Bit of a frutrating race, than damn williams strait line speed was just too much.
We were miles quicker everywhere else. Shame.
I beleive being stuck behind cost us a lot in terms of total race time. Had it not been for Albon we would have mixed it with the Mercedes.
Anyone else really lIke Stella?. I think he's doing a great job.

Hell Yes... Always had huge respect for him... Now I'm glad Seidl left...

BMMR61

Tomsky wrote:
mwillems wrote:
What nonsense. Oscar loses in the qualifiers to his partner 11-3. Lando beat Sainz in the qualifiers in the year of his debut.
Lando was 19 years old in the year of his debut, Oscar was 22 years old. At this age, such an age difference is of great importance.
I don’t care either way. I’m happy we have a great pair of drivers who work together and for the team. Over at Ferrari they have an unhappy Leclerc in spite of getting the rub of the team strategies. When you’re fighting for 8/9/10/11 in WDC but the team is on the up, the team effort is priority - if the drivers are going along with it, and they appear to be.

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 11:46
Tomsky wrote:
mwillems wrote:
He's much better than Lando even when he was in his second season and possibly in his third and he's very close in the race pace to someone considered an elite driver in his 5th season and the difference in Qualifying is Marginal!!!! It's not very clever to quote a record when the actual gap to create that record is is more relevant.

Dear lord, are you blind or something. Nonsense my *rse. Max thinks he is almost as strong as Lando after half season but I guess he is talking nonsense too :D :D :D

=D> =D> =D>

It's better only in your imagination.
The figures and facts do not confirm this.

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 12:28
mwillems wrote:
Tomsky wrote:

=D> =D> =D>

Which bit is imagined, if you wish to discuss facts?

-Bandit

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 12:33
Tomsky wrote:
mwillems wrote:

=D> =D> =D>

mwillems wrote:
He's much better than Lando

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 12:36
mwillems wrote:
Tomsky wrote:

mwillems wrote:
Why are you taking half a sentence?

-Bandit

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Tomsky wrote:

=D> =D> =D>

The figures and facts confirm this.
I think I will also pick which words I want.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

-Bandit

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 12:39
Tomsky wrote:
mwillems wrote:

mwillems wrote:
Don't answer the question with a question, show the facts.

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 12:45
mwillems wrote:
Tomsky wrote:

Where are your facts? You questioned my opinion with more "nonsense" because you think you are the only sole owner of facts, so back yourself and show me why I am wrong please, you do not, and you are so lazy you misquote, which is the most pathetic of all attempts to misidrect in a conversation.

Piastri is now closer to Lando on race pace and Qualy pace that Lando was in Season 1 and not much different to season 2, Piastri is able to challenge Lando now in a similar way to how Lando was able to challenge Sainz after at least 1 full season.

But the difference is that this is Lando's 5th season in this car. Lando is regarded as "elite" by many, one of the best on the grid and is mentioned in the same breath as Hamilton, Leclerc and Verstappen. Lando has learnt to drive around the cars harsh difficulties and Piastri is now starting to get the better of him after half a season. Landos numbers are against Carlos when they had their first season in the car together, Carlos didn't have that advantage either and Lando was never this close to Sainz. Those are facts.

Incidentally, since the original statement was that he is the most exciting young driver since Leclerc? Who else is the ,most exciting young driver since Leclerc?

This is bookmarked and in 1 year I will put this under your nose :D :D :D :lol:

-Bandit

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 13:15
Tomsky wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Where are your facts? You questioned my opinion with more "nonsense" because you think you are the only sole owner of facts, so back yourself and show me why I am wrong please, you do not, and you are so lazy you misquote, which is the most pathetic of all attempts to misidrect in a conversation.

Piastri is now closer to Lando on race pace and Qualy pace that Lando was in Season 1 and not much different to season 2, Piastri is able to challenge Lando now in a similar way to how Lando was able to challenge Sainz after at least 1 full season.

But the difference is that this is Lando's 5th season in this car. Lando is regarded as "elite" by many, one of the best on the grid and is mentioned in the same breath as Hamilton, Leclerc and Verstappen. Lando has learnt to drive around the cars harsh difficulties and Piastri is now starting to get the better of him after half a season. Landos numbers are against Carlos when they had their first season in the car together, Carlos didn't have that advantage either and Lando was never this close to Sainz. Those are facts.

Incidentally, since the original statement was that he is the most exciting young driver since Leclerc? Who else is the ,most exciting young driver since Leclerc?

I have given the facts, read above. You only have demagoguery.

mwillems

mwillems wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 12:41
Tomsky wrote:
mwillems wrote:

=D> =D> =D>

The figures and facts confirm this.
I think I will also pick which words I want.

Thanks for agreeing with me.
Deleted: Replying to wrong post.
Last edited by mwillems on 04 Sep 2023, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 13:20
mwillems wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 13:15
Tomsky wrote:

I have given the facts, read above. You only have demagoguery.
That was the facts? Ok.

So correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that the facts are that 2.5 years older at debut trumps 5 years in the machinery and that his ever improving pace to the point that he can now match and sometimes exceed Lando through half a season is not relevant because he wasn't as fast at the start of the season when he was learning Formula 1?

I want to ask to see if I am misunderstanding so let me know if that is not explaining it correctly :)

I must say, those "facts" you wrote look decidedly like opinions not even starting on the fact they are very weak ones, and yet you talk to me of demagoguery?

Explain how your opinion becomes a fact, I'd very much like to hear that [-o<

Also feel free to stop evading and answer the other points made in the previous post because you explained that Oscar is older, because I'm not entirely sure how this answers all of the other points I made whilst you were unwilling or unable to back your own points up.

I have no issue debating with people (I don't own the facts), but when people can't give a straight answer, try to use half a quote to reframe an opinion in their light and class their own opinion as fact and tell other contributors that their opinion is "nonsense" if they don't agree then yeah, then I'm sorry to say that is just lazy and waste of time.

-Bandit

skoop
skoop

I don't want to poach the hornets nest that the whole Oscar versus Lando is, but I can't help to wonder: Why did Lando get the undercut against Oscar? Has there been any official statement on this? I assume it's because Lando is their lead driver, however I am curious.

mwillems

skoop wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 14:00
I don't want to poach the hornets nest that the whole Oscar versus Lando is, but I can't help to wonder: Why did Lando get the undercut against Oscar? Has there been any official statement on this? I assume it's because Lando is their lead driver, however I am curious.
Just because they felt that it protected the race for the team, I can't remember where the link is but the team have said that.

Essentially it lost a bit of time from Oscar to give to Lando in the hope that they would both stay ahead, which was a fruitless attempt.

-Bandit