2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

issey wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 21:16
AR3-GP wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 20:55
Imagine saying Monza is the most physical race of the year. There's something very wrong with this car still.
Watch this video, he almost lost the car every lap in turn 6-7 because of no grip, painful to watch. No wonder it was the most physical race
F14T flashbacks, at least we're through

organic

Hmmm.. the struggles make Zandvoort feel like maybe a potential Canada situation to anyone else? Made the car work again in one package but potentially compromised it in a different way, and one performance at one track can't show the full picture. Feels a bit like what Ferrari ran into in their battles with development in '22 and into '23. Try to shed drag -> cause other issues -> try to fix new issues -> sort of succeed and find other problems

With circuits like Suzuka, Vegas still to come I question whether the WCC position can be rescued. With 1 car only in the fight especially. Lance has been woeful

SSJ4
SSJ4

hard to say. car seems to have same characteristics as last year but the car isn't as bad.
i'll wait for the new front wing in singapore and the diffuser winglet. but its kind of worrying for next years car if they're having correlation issues

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 21:32
issey wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 20:55
Imagine saying Monza is the most physical race of the year. There's something very wrong with this car still.
Watch this video, he almost lost the car every lap in turn 6-7 because of no grip, painful to watch. No wonder it was the most physical race
Don't forget, that was around lap 20 on those mediums. They were pretty much done.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 05:41
KimiRai wrote:
issey wrote:
Don't forget, that was around lap 20 on those mediums. They were pretty much done.
It's mentioned that supposedly it was like this all race, not just on old mediums.

Alok91

Is it possible they were using pre-dutch gp parts , because previous update made them fast in straight line performance but lose cornering performance?

issey
issey

diffuser wrote:
KimiRai wrote:
issey wrote:
This was during the whole race, during his medium stint from the beginning till the hard stint to the end, sometimes more sometimes less

issey
issey

They used the old engine cover and undercut from Belgium in Monza

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Singapore will probably be the best chance of a non-RB victory this year (Monaco excluded). Let's see what Alonso can do

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 06:13
diffuser wrote:
KimiRai wrote:

It's mentioned that supposedly it was like this all race, not just on old mediums.
Do I think that they trimed off alot of downforce to decrease drag, which made the car on the limit with tire wear? Yeah, especially on the last 5 laps of the mediums. On the hards it was better but he couldn't follow in the corners. In the last corner, you could see Norris right up behind Albon but Alonso would drop back then catch back up down the straight.

Think it's the same problem they've had all Along in fast corners. The car's behavior at Monza was just because of the best setup the found for the car to get around that track the fastest.

Also, at almost every race there comes a time when the race engineer ask Alonso how hard he's pushing on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being the highest. At Monza he said zero. Never heard him say anything higher than 2 before.

peewon

Spoutnik wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 11:33
Singapore will probably be the best chance of a non-RB victory this year (Monaco excluded). Let's see what Alonso can do

Singapore is the track remaining that best suits Aston Martin but AM will probably still not be the best car on the track. RB will probably still be faster and with 3 corners removed from the track and replaced by a straight, I expect Ferrari to be better as well. They are just as good in short corners as AM but they have better traction for straights, so a win is still a very long shot. They will have to fight to get on the podium.

scuderiabrandon

diffuser wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 05:52
issey wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 22:12
KimiRai wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 21:29
Alonso says weaknesses haven't improved yet. I thought zandvoort data was partly encouraging but Monza shows lots of work to do still

I think he means like the weaknesses are still the same but they still have a little improved hes also talking about drag and they lost a little but its still there
At Monza qualifying, like Silverstone, their weakness has been high-speed corners. They loose too much time in turns 6,7 and 11. It isn't draggy as before.

Now what I see on the screen is, Alonso trying to rub off more speed in the middle of the corner, then accelerate harder on the way out. I think he's trying to use the back grip to come out of the corners with more speed....so I'm guessing, if he doesn't do that, he'll end up with understeer in those high speed corners.
I don't understand the thought process here.

High speed corners are the weakness. I agree. But saying the rest of the calendar will suit their car is a bit strange with Suzuka/Qatar/Austin as the next 3/4 GP. Singapore will be strong, if not something has gone terribly wrong. If Monza wasn't good I have my doubt about Vegas/Mexico being good either. I'm not too sure about Brazil/Abu Dhabi.

That's 5/8 GP that, on paper and historically speaking aswell, should be weak for them. I don't get the thought process there.

KimiRai
KimiRai

peewon wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 21:38
Singapore is the track remaining that best suits Aston Martin but AM will probably still not be the best car on the track. RB will probably still be faster and with 3 corners removed from the track and replaced by a straight, I expect Ferrari to be better as well. They are just as good in short corners as AM but they have better traction for straights, so a win is still a very long shot. They will have to fight to get on the podium.
It's 4 slow corners I think they've removed. Still it should be a good track in theory for both Aston and Alonso.
Last edited by KimiRai on 04 Sep 2023, 23:32, edited 5 times in total.

scuderiabrandon

peewon wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 21:38
Spoutnik wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 11:33

Ferrari have major balance issues on high downforce circuits, especially in race trim. They are the team most likely to move away from max dwf config in SIngapore, because of this they will be compromised.

Aston, McLaren and Alpine should be strong in Singapore.

organic

Ferrari were fine at Monaco