2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

organic wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 09:56
mwillems wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 09:54
organic wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 09:37
A rather large upgrade!!!! Huge

I believe the car will win at least one race before the end of the year. Probably Suzuka or Qatar
You're going all in :D
Mika walked so I can run
What a guy... :mrgreen:

Hopefully it's not "One small step for Mclaren, one giant leap for Organic"!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 08:43
mwillems wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 02:18
You'd think so if DAS was banned.

Another thought is that the way the car interacts with the tyres, that it needs a higher load to have them behave the way the car likes and to provide either the right level of mechanical grip or to provide the right platform for the Aero. Perhaps the V profile that we need to attack the slow corner is to throw the car with more energy into a shorter corner. Are we not able to control the behaviour of the tyres under too little load? This would relate to an earlier issue where the car was poor when off braking and off throttle. If so this could be improved with more front downforce.
But only Merc had the DAS system? There is a different system here that changes the level of ground clearance when you turn the steering wheel, that is, when you turn the wheels. It always seemed to me that this is the norm and is connected with the geometry of the suspension and caster placement. Camber should have less of an impact on this.

Regarding your comment, that's a good question. If you look at Lando’s racing trajectory in Austria, then everything is not so simple. When the tires were fresh, he could afford a classic qualifying line, but when the tires were worn out he used a more V-shaped line in Turn 3. I remember we already discussed this, but even this one specific turn can already indicate that the wear of the front tires may be even higher than the rear, or this was due to the setup of the car and the lack of sufficient practice to select the optimal settings.

True, something similar happened again at Silverstone, then in the race when the tires were worn out, Lando also experienced understeer in turn 3, while Charles and Max sometimes had too much input, on their cars the rear was more nimble, but less stable, especially Ferrari. There they went from understeer to oversteer. Bad balance.

I'll be honest, I don't fully understand it yet, but I admit that McLaren is still lacking a little bit in all areas. Still, our drivers wear out their tires faster and begin to lose race pace faster. This was not so noticeable at Silverstone, but there the aero package was very optimal in terms of overall downforce loading and wing dimensions.

Maybe our car goes fast only in a narrow range of suspension settings? Then this would explain a lot, but it’s more likely in the thermal level of the tires and how to keep the tires in the working window, and this is more likely a reason in the general geometry of the suspension arms, rather than just wheel toe-in camber.
Yes but why ban something f that alters toe but not ride height using the steering. But who knows.

The thermal profile is a symptom of the problem and the ability to take a normal corner profile on fresh tyres doesn't mean that performance isnt still retarded, just not so much that they have to take a V profile yet.
Last edited by mwillems on 15 Sep 2023, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

MrGapes

mwillems wrote:
Hmm doesn't seem to be anything you'd think is guilty of flexing that has changed
Apparently the teams don't need to specify in the document if changes were made to meet the new td's

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 10:31
mwillems wrote:
Hmm doesn't seem to be anything you'd think is guilty of flexing that has changed
Apparently the teams don't need to specify in the document if changes were made to meet the new td's
Oh wow, how devious 🤣 and how kind to the offending teams!

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 10:31
LionsHeart wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 08:43
mwillems wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 02:18
You'd think so if DAS was banned.

Another thought is that the way the car interacts with the tyres, that it needs a higher load to have them behave the way the car likes and to provide either the right level of mechanical grip or to provide the right platform for the Aero. Perhaps the V profile that we need to attack the slow corner is to throw the car with more energy into a shorter corner. Are we not able to control the behaviour of the tyres under too little load? This would relate to an earlier issue where the car was poor when off braking and off throttle. If so this could be improved with more front downforce.
But only Merc had the DAS system? There is a different system here that changes the level of ground clearance when you turn the steering wheel, that is, when you turn the wheels. It always seemed to me that this is the norm and is connected with the geometry of the suspension and caster placement. Camber should have less of an impact on this.

Regarding your comment, that's a good question. If you look at Lando’s racing trajectory in Austria, then everything is not so simple. When the tires were fresh, he could afford a classic qualifying line, but when the tires were worn out he used a more V-shaped line in Turn 3. I remember we already discussed this, but even this one specific turn can already indicate that the wear of the front tires may be even higher than the rear, or this was due to the setup of the car and the lack of sufficient practice to select the optimal settings.

True, something similar happened again at Silverstone, then in the race when the tires were worn out, Lando also experienced understeer in turn 3, while Charles and Max sometimes had too much input, on their cars the rear was more nimble, but less stable, especially Ferrari. There they went from understeer to oversteer. Bad balance.

I'll be honest, I don't fully understand it yet, but I admit that McLaren is still lacking a little bit in all areas. Still, our drivers wear out their tires faster and begin to lose race pace faster. This was not so noticeable at Silverstone, but there the aero package was very optimal in terms of overall downforce loading and wing dimensions.

Maybe our car goes fast only in a narrow range of suspension settings? Then this would explain a lot, but it’s more likely in the thermal level of the tires and how to keep the tires in the working window, and this is more likely a reason in the general geometry of the suspension arms, rather than just wheel toe-in camber.
Yes but why ban something f that alters toe but not ride height using the steering. But who knows.

The thermal profile is a symptom of the problem and the ability to take a normal corner profile on fresh tyres doesn't mean that performance isnt still retarded, just not so much that they have to take a V profile yet.
Agree with you.

eurwynf1
eurwynf1

Well I've gone for Lando win @ 20/1

randolf
randolf

First signs so far looks very positive. This is going to be interesting race for the team to see if they make another step forward.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Lizard on track just as Lando was out on new softs.

What a track.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

eurwynf1 wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 11:51
These times are when it makes sense. Potentially big update, good track for the car. Bookies are not going to follow as well as we do and they will inevitably be behind the curve on the odds.

I wish you all the luck :).

MrGapes

Don't think I have never seen the Mclaren on the low speed graphic, will need to verify in the telemetry.

saputra_25
saputra_25

what happen with Oscar?, he stays in the garage with 7 min to go

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

saputra_25 wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 12:23
what happen with Oscar?, he stays in the garage with 7 min to go
Don't think anything really happened. Crofty commented that the team said that Piastri just didn't look for ultimate laptime and that everything is fine and that Norris says upgrades are working well.

My overall feeling is that the car was effortless - whenever Lando was pushing he was at the top.

Emag
Emag

MrGapes wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 12:19
https://ibb.co/bLz6ZW8

Don't think I have never seen the Mclaren on the low speed graphic, will need to verify in the telemetry.
Honestly, if their low speed weakness is fixed with a floor and sidepod upgrade, then I think we all severely underestimate the effectiveness of aero in low speed corners.

I would assume that to improve performance in such areas, a better mechanical configuration is needed. I.e suspension geometry and heat management for tires.

mwillems

I've been arguing for ages that Mechanical and Aero work together and so one could make up some of the deficiencies in the other and that I think that this car's front issue was more Aero related. I recall having this discussion with someone else at Monza also where I suggested that the chicanes wouldn't be as straight forward an issue as you'd think, and it came to pass that the car was passable in the chicane, but awful on entry,

I think yesterday with Lionsheart I also made that point that since once can make up the deficiencies of the other it still doesn't mean that the mechanical elements of the front of the car aren't holding back what is now amazing front aero.

-Bandit

mclaren111

eurwynf1 wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 11:51

Good Luck... Lando's First Win... :D [-o< [-o< :D