2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Re: 2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

Ocon was under pressure to get out of the elimination zone and tyre prep is important here.

You can argue whether Ocon needed to do what he did. You can even argue maybe there was a miscalculation in how early he started to push as the start of that lap is from an almost flat out last corner.

You can't argue whether Max needed to block Ocon or not. He was just being a dick. Nobody is even denying it. They're just finding excuses for why it's apparently okay.

I'm sure the FIA are 100% aware of Maxs blocking attempts on people, but they just don't care. Apparently purposely impeding in quali is okay, because reasons.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

f1jcw wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 11:28
AR3-GP wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 11:25

Ocon had 50 seconds left on the clock. You don't pass after the final corner especially when there's so much time on the clock.
Sorry, but no, Max has overtaken people before the final corner before, many a time,
Ocon passed AFTER the final corner.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

GrizzleBoy wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 11:29
You can't argue whether Max needed to block Ocon or not. He was just being a dick. Nobody is even denying it. They're just finding excuses for why it's apparently okay.

I'm sure the FIA are 100% aware of Maxs blocking attempts on people, but they just don't care. Apparently purposely impeding in quali is okay, because reasons.
Ocon impeded Verstappen by overtaking him to start the lap for which Verstappen would have no choice but to abort.

What Verstappen did from there doesn't really matter because Ocon's decision was the unfair one. If Verstappen's own lap was ruined, then Ocon's lap also being ruined only makes them equal. Why do you not see this? It doesn't matter if you are P1 or P15 and "need to get in". All laps are the same. No one has priority otherwise the FIA would tell those who were already in Q2 to stay in the pitlane.

I didn't have a problem with it. I'm not making excuses at all. Ocon shouldn't be able to ruin another driver's lap and get away with it. That some can't see this is for other reasons.

Had Ocon done this to Hamilton, there would be a different discussion about the matter...
Last edited by AR3-GP on 18 Nov 2023, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

atanatizante

So based on the above top speed and S1 times from qualy it seems that VER, LEC and SAI opted for a let`s say "high"-DF setup here with the latter maybe opting for an M tyre start in order to do a longer first stint (same story for HAM presumably).

PER opted for a lower DF setup than VER and the same did RUS despite his 348kph due to a tow most likely, and based on top speeds and S1 times he did in FP3.

A top result for GAS but the dark horse could be ALB who also has a car with a slightly higher DF setup than SAR.

So for the race, it`ll be interesting if we`ll have a Brasil race in terms of tyre strategy, due to low track temps and graining. Having said that, I could see all drivers starting tomorrow on the S tyre with maybe VER trying to start on the M tyre to offset LEC, bearing in mind he was running mostly on this tyre in FP2 but most of all setting consistent lap times ...

Now based on what ALB said after qualy graining it`ll be the biggest issue in the first stint, drivers losing between 1 and 1.5 sec/lap. So bearing in mind that the delta time between S and M tyre is less than 3 tenths per lap maybe some other drivers in the top 10 on the grid will opt for starting on M tyre after all, betting for a longer first stint and maybe an SC/VSC phase ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

avantman
avantman

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 10:50
search wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 10:49
Verstappen has one new set of softs left for Q3, both Ferrari & Russell 2
Rb have had a very questionable Saturday. Going into qualy with only 3 new sets of tires looks daft. So does mounting a new rear wing after FP3 that they haven't run all weekend.
I don't think it's questionable. I think it's very typical, forward-thinking approach they often take. I think they realized quickly pole won't be likely
a) within reach
b) number 1 or even number 2 priority
They kept that extra set of medium for Perez, knowing he often struggles to get into Q3 without utilizing extra set of softs(compared to Max)

They saved extra set of medium for Max purposely, in case of late SC or even a red flag, which is more than likely to happen on this track. It could become a game changer. let's see.

Tiny73
Tiny73

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 11:39
GrizzleBoy wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 11:29

Ocon impeded Verstappen by overtaking him to start the lap for which Verstappen would have no choice but to abort.

What Verstappen did from there doesn't really matter because Ocon's decision was the unfair one.
So two wrongs make it right then? The gymnastics to justify Max’s behaviour are astounding. Both should be punished for what they did, Max more so as his move was petty revenge.

avantman
avantman

organic wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 11:05
RB used Max's only new soft in Q3 for the first runs, when he was 1 tenth off Charles. That's probably representative of the 1-lap pace.
#-o
0.3s off is way closer than it should have been on true merit, if Leclerc had half decent lap in q3. Even he himself said both of his laps were poor.

f1jcw
f1jcw

AR3-GP wrote:
Ocon shouldn't be able to ruin another driver's lap and get away with it.
Remind me when Max became a steward and was entitled to inflict on track judgement?

Though it would explain why they refuse to penalise him for anything.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

f1jcw wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 11:46
AR3-GP wrote:
Remind me when Max became a steward and was entitled to inflict on track judgement?
There are no rules that forbid overtaking during hot laps. This is why Ocon was able to overtake Verstappen in the first place, and why Verstappen was then able to overtake Ocon without penalty.

f1jcw
f1jcw

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 11:49
f1jcw wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
There are no rules that forbid overtaking during hot laps. This is why Ocon was able to overtake Verstappen in the first place, and why Verstappen was then able to overtake Ocon without penalty.

The rulebook does not say what either driver did was wrong.
Max did it to deliberately destroy another drivers lap maliciously, and you said another driver shouldn’t ruin another drivers lap without punishment, it is not for Max to deliver penalties.
He was being a dick and you know he was.

search

atanatizante wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 11:42
A top result for GAS but the dark horse could be ALB who also has a car with a slightly higher DF setup than SAR.
on German Sky, Albon just confirmed that they sacrificed quali performance by setting the car up more towards the race.

Yesterday's longrun was pretty bad, though, so hard to estimate how much of an improvement this will come with.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

f1jcw wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 11:52
AR3-GP wrote:
f1jcw wrote:

Max did it to deliberately destroy another drivers lap maliciously, and you said another driver shouldn’t ruin another drivers lap without punishment, it is not for Max to deliver penalties.
It's not forbidden by the rules for Verstappen to re-overtake Ocon just like it wasn't forbidden for Ocon to overtake Verstappen.

Verstappen didn't crash into Ocon (which would have crossed a line). I do not see any issue with what he did. This isn't the ballet. It's a competition. Verstappen's mentality is one of his weapons.

Ocon in his interview knew he was wrong and didn't complain about Verstappen in his post-qualy interview.

This kind of thing sorts itself out on the track. As I said, while we can't be reckless about it, it's also not the ballet. Ocon had 50 seconds on the clock and should have waited. He was not rewarded for overtaking after the final corner. He will learn.

It's okay if one just doesn't don't like the guy. No rules were broken so one's grief will fall on deaf ears.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 18 Nov 2023, 12:05, edited 2 times in total.

falonso81

Which RB was it that blocked Piastri in Q1? Why was it not investigated? Are they not forced to stick to the rule book today? They seemed pretty adamant to stick to it yesterday with Carlos.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

falonso81 wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 12:02
Which RB was it that blocked Piastri in Q1? Why was it not investigated? Are they not forced to stick to the rule book today? They seemed pretty adamant to stick to it yesterday with Carlos.
It was Perez and that was Norris that he blocked.

f1jcw
f1jcw

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 12:02
f1jcw wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 11:52
AR3-GP wrote:

It's not forbidden by the rules for Verstappen to re-overtake Ocon just like it wasn't forbidden for Ocon to overtake Verstappen.

Verstappen didn't crash into Ocon (which would have crossed a line). I do not see any issue with what he did. This isn't the ballet. It's a competition. Verstappen's mentality is one of his weapons.

Ocon in his interview knew he was wrong and didn't complain about Verstappen in his post-qualy interview.

This kind of thing sorts itself out on the track. As I said, while we can't be reckless about it, it's also not the ballet.

It's okay if one just doesn't don't like the guy. No rules were broken so one's grief will fall on deaf ears.
You don’t see a issue with Max deliberately maliciously destroying another driver’s qualifying lap.
Says everything. No more to say after that.