2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Ahhh yes, Gasly not Ham.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 09:24
SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 09:22
mwillems wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 09:18

I think they are hoping for an event.
It seems that way, he would be 15th if he pits… But he may have been able to get back into the points with a PitStop a few laps earlier… His fate is sealed I’m afraid at this point… what’s the penalty for not changing tires?
I would expect DSQ to be honest, otherwise that would be a can of worms and I'd have expected others to have taken advantage in the past
Lando’s accident was completely unexpected… But I’m just reassured that we had a race to fight…. That’s all you can ask for… The result won’t be that one anyone wanted, but the car in the race had great pace…. I’m glad they favored the race over Qualy

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 09:21
organic wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 09:20
mwillems wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 09:18

What makes you suggest that? What's been seen?
Piastri's puncture/damage he was sparking like crazy into the pit basically riding the plank
Ahh OK, I guess must have happened earlier in the lap then?
On his inlap after his collision with Hamilton, they showed Piastri entering pits sparking a lot. I think the tyre deflated at that moment.

mwillems

We would get a point for the fastest lap also if we get into the top 10.

-Bandit

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 09:27
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 09:22

It seems that way, he would be 15th if he pits… But he may have been able to get back into the points with a PitStop a few laps earlier… His fate is sealed I’m afraid at this point… what’s the penalty for not changing tires?
I would expect DSQ to be honest, otherwise that would be a can of worms and I'd have expected others to have taken advantage in the past
Lando’s accident was completely unexpected… But I’m just reassured that we had a race to fight…. That’s all you can ask for… The result won’t be that one anyone wanted, but the car in the race had great pace…. I’m glad they favored the race over Qualy
I'm not sure they intended this, I think they worked with what they had but that the tyres couldn't get into the window in Q, not convinced they could do much to get them into the window in Q. Not a problem in the race though. Given that it could have been harder to make time, I think the team would have preferred a better starting position if they could have got it.
Last edited by mwillems on 19 Nov 2023, 09:33, edited 4 times in total.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 09:29
We would get a point for the fastest lap also if we get into the top 10.
Yeah - good pace by the car. Just unlucky safety car.

Piastri was P5 on merit when the safety car came, but others could pit as they could finish on hards.

mwillems

P10 and 2 points.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Oh man - Russel had a +5s penalty - Piastri almost caught him.

EDIT: Maybe the penalty was already applied.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 19 Nov 2023, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.

proteus

Oscar fought like a lion, damn shame since he could have been in top 5.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

proteus wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 09:35
Oscar fought like a lion, damn shame since he could have been in top 5.
Two unlucky moments:
1. collision with Hamilton and a puncture
2. bad timing of second safety car

Still P10 from P19.

Without 2 he would have ended P5 or so. Great pace.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 19 Nov 2023, 09:38, edited 2 times in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I'm not sure they intended this, I think they worked with what they had but that the tyres couldn't get into the window in Q, not convinced they could do much to get them into the window in Q. Not a problem in the race though.
I guess we will always disagree in regards to the amount of data we (the fans) and the team have… the setup for the car was one that allowed them to get in the points… Qualy was a blunder, that’s undeniable… But the race pace was more than decent… The car setup wasn’t necessarily wrong… Some good luck, some bad luck with the timing of the Safety Cars, but when it matter the car had speed… We can alway wonder where we could have ended with Lando (he is the faster race driver)… but from the starting positions, the pace shows the pace was there

Macklaren
Macklaren

Would be nice if Lewis didn't crash into Oscar every time he got within the same zip code

willmesquita

Great pace from Oscar, a shame that Q1 (we saved tires for nothing).
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 09:36
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I'm not sure they intended this, I think they worked with what they had but that the tyres couldn't get into the window in Q, not convinced they could do much to get them into the window in Q. Not a problem in the race though.
I guess we will always disagree in regards to the amount of data we (the fans) and the team have… the setup for the car was one that allowed them to get in the points… Qualy was a blunder, that’s undeniable… But the race pace was more than decent… The car setup wasn’t necessarily wrong… Some good luck, some bad luck with the timing of the Safety Cars, but when it matter the car had speed… We can alway wonder where we could have ended with Lando (he is the faster race driver)… but from the starting positions, the pace shows the pace was there
Yeah it's why we come to the forums, to discuss and have opinions, otherwise this place wouldn't exist, I certainly don't come here just for the race commentary :D

I think the race pace was undeniable and come what may with the setup, it would have been there in hindsight, though everyone was careful not to make predictions for the race as there were too many unknowns.

No suggestion from me that the setup was wrong, they just couldn't make it work in Q like in other races, I think the car just didn't suit a massive fast lap at this track and in part I think my suspicions that this car no longer heats the tyres as quickly as it did may be correct, and in part why this was a car for Sunday and not Saturday.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 09:40
Yeah it's why we come to the forums, to discuss and have opinions, otherwise this place wouldn't exists :D

I think the race pace was undeniable and come what may with the setup, it would have been there in hindsight, though everyone was careful not to make predictions for the race as there were too many unknowns.

No suggestion from me that the setup was wrong, they just couldn't make it work, I think the car just didn't suit a massive fast lap at this track and in part I think my suspicions that this car no longer heats the tyres as quickly as it did is correct, because if it did I think it would be the other way round here. I suspect this is a part of what made this a race car and less of a Q car.
But at the same time - McLaren was VERY quick after safety car restarts. Team stream commented on it that the tyre warmup seems great in the race.

I am not sure you are correct with the tyre warmup. I think the car was a clear Q3 car if they put a second set on the car. It looks like they couldn't make softs last for 3 hot laps.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 19 Nov 2023, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.