2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

scuderiabrandon wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 16:45
wiktor977 wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 16:29
[quote="Vanja #66" post_id=1182192 time=1707054254 user_id=14076
There is little reason to expect any current manufacturer will have loads of issues with 26 PUs, ICE is basically the same architecture and the difference will be the fuel. Oil partners are working on that for a while already and no reason to expect any of them will have too much trouble. The most important aspect will probably be establishing the right harvesting and deployment strategies in the race, when to safely harvest on the straights and when to use full power.
What about turbo lag problem? Now this is not a problem with MGU-H keeping turbo spinning when off throttle, but In '26 teams will have to deal with that somehow. I imagine that ICE mapping (cold blowing) similar to the ones used during blown diffuser times might be imlemented. I don't know if 'normal' anti-lag system can be used due to the fuel limits. Can this be a problem for PU manufacturers in 2026?
Any form of anti-lag is prohibited, the rules there are well defined.
I'm sure they'll play around with the ERS mapppings to phase out very agressive turbo-lag. That probably makes clipping a bigger concern, therefore they'd need to lower the drag as much as possible.[/quote]

all of this sounds like whistling 'Dixie'
the prime mover power having been cut by more than a third and the MG power having been trebled .....
laptimes will increase - conspicuously or inconspicuously

Zynerji

Tommy Cookers wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 17:47
scuderiabrandon wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 16:45
What about turbo lag problem? Now this is not a problem with MGU-H keeping turbo spinning when off throttle, but In '26 teams will have to deal with that somehow. I imagine that ICE mapping (cold blowing) similar to the ones used during blown diffuser times might be imlemented. I don't know if 'normal' anti-lag system can be used due to the fuel limits. Can this be a problem for PU manufacturers in 2026?
Any form of anti-lag is prohibited, the rules there are well defined.
I'm sure they'll play around with the ERS mapppings to phase out very agressive turbo-lag. That probably makes clipping a bigger concern, therefore they'd need to lower the drag as much as possible.

all of this sounds like whistling 'Dixie'
the prime mover power having been cut by more than a third and the MG power having been trebled .....
laptimes will increase - conspicuously or inconspicuously
Oh, it's going to be comically conspicuous...🙄

Rikhart
Rikhart

Sevach wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 15:17
Rikhart wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 13:19
Major mistake by Ferrari imho. They should be courting the Norris, Piastris, Verstappens, not a driver who is frankly way past his prime, who goes into the team to retire with even more millions.
It's not a mistake because Ferrari still has Charles locked up, if Lewis indeed is getting slower, Charles is there to "banzai" the car into the front row.
Lewis brings a wealth of championship experience with different cars.

And his age difference(and track record) will probably lead to a less hostile intra team battle than Norris and Leclerc i think.

That one would end up as a desperate battle for supremacy.
But it could be the spark that would uplift the team, a pair of lions battling for supremacy. I think you are underestimating Hamilton´s capacity for drama, as well. It is one of those things where only time will tell us.

Rikhart
Rikhart

F1NAC wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 15:28
Rikhart wrote:
Major mistake by Ferrari imho. They should be courting the Norris, Piastris, Verstappens, not a driver who is frankly way past his prime, who goes into the team to retire with even more millions.
Norris needs to sort his head out. It was evident last year that in crucial moments he crumbled.
This is true, but he could make the switch at any point and fulfil all his potential, of which he has orders of magnitude more than Hamilton, who is on a descending curve.

ferrarifire
ferrarifire

Rikhart wrote:
It's not about Hamilton driving strength here...many will follow to ferrari from Mercedes after this move ..

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ferrarifire wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 21:02
Rikhart wrote:
It's not about Hamilton driving strength here...many will follow to ferrari from Mercedes after this move ..
True. Ferrari reinforced their own team and significantly weakened a rival team. Some seeds are sown and battles won, off the track, before a wheel has even been turned.

Sidiamal
Sidiamal

If you only interacted with Formula 1 through this forum you'd think Hamilton finished 10th in the WDC in the second fastest car or something and all of the guys being suggested as superior alternatives were world champions. You'd never know every single non-RBR driver finished behind Hamilton 30+ points despite having a better car than him just last season. :?

Thankfully Vasseur and Elkann watch races.

scuderiabrandon

Sidiamal wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 23:11
If you only interacted with Formula 1 through this forum you'd think Hamilton finished 10th in the WDC in the second fastest car or something and all of the guys being suggested as superior alternatives were world champions. You'd never know every single non-RBR driver finished behind Hamilton 30+ points despite having a better car than him just last season. :?

Thankfully Vasseur and Elkann watch races.
They also know how to make a ton of money and how to guarantee a better future for their team. You can certainly expect a Tommy Hilfiger x Ferrari Fashion collab coming. LH Ferrari commercials. LH will also be a brand ambassador. This move is literally the best thing Ferrari could have done from a business and marketing perspective for Ferrari, the roadcar company.

Scuderia Ferrari benefits from this by bringing in an established world champion who brings already established engineers with him with invaluable knowledge from a rival team. He also attract new sponsors and senior engineers from other rival teams. That's how the F1 team benefits.

This deal is much bigger than bringing a fast driver in, you need to see that. This move has a net benefit regardless if they win anything together for both parties. Ferrari were approached my LH's management, they can't have contract talks if there is only interest from one party, but that's not the case here.

And btw LEC finished 28 points of despite 5 DNF's

organic

I'd agree that senior engineers would be knocking on the door if ham is in his prime. But realistically he's going to be there for a few years and then retire you'd imagine. So I think the allure of moving with him and building something is a bit less compared to if he had done it 5 years ago or something

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 00:04
I'd agree that senior engineers would be knocking on the door if ham is in his prime. But realistically he's going to be there for a few years and then retire you'd imagine. So I think the allure of moving with him and building something is a bit less compared to if he had done it 5 years ago or something
The difference is that it may be senior engineers who are actually "senior" in age as well for which one last hoorah at Ferrari and then retirement, is attractive. It won't be James Allison, but someone like James Allison who had already grown weary of the sport and was making noises about retirement.

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
There is also the Italy factor, it's a much bigger change than going from a British team to another a few kilometres away. Also Brexit, perhaps more paperwork, work permits and all the rest (I have no idea how it is in reality). But we'll see.

CHT
CHT

Both LH and Ferrari have nothing to lose in making this happen. LH could have already given up winning 8WDC with Merc due to RBR dominance, and a move to Ferrari is a calculated gamble to fulfill his childhood dream while still getting a big pay rise.

For Ferrari, LH will generate global interest in the brand and everyone will be watching and talking about the team for years to come. While Charles will get a chance to prove himself as a worthy challenger to LH.

LH's move to Ferrari does come with risk though, as there is no guarantee that he will be able to beat Charles. We have seen this with MS before when he joined Merc and drove alongside Rosberg.

How will Merc fans respond to his move to Ferrari? How will Ferrari fans respond to LH if he struggles at Ferrari?
Regardless, this move can only be good for Formula 1.

Cs98
Cs98

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 00:11
organic wrote:
The difference is that it may be senior engineers who are actually "senior" in age as well for which one last hoorah at Ferrari and then retirement, is attractive. It won't be James Allison, but someone like James Allison who had already grown weary of the sport and was making noises about retirement.
So... who? There's a cost cap in place, Ferrari is already at capacity. To lure in big name engineers from abroad for a limited time means offering a big salary. There's simply not the same possibility anymore to bring an entourage of top engineers with you in the way Todt brought Byrne and Brawn together with Schumi.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Cs98 wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 00:34
AR3-GP wrote:
organic wrote:
So... who? There's a cost cap in place, Ferrari is already at capacity. To lure in big name engineers from abroad for a limited time means offering a big salary. There's simply not the same possibility anymore to bring an entourage of top engineers with you in the way Todt brought Byrne and Brawn together with Schumi.
We don't know how any of these teams are budgeting. Ferrari already brought over Loic Serra. Mclaren got Rob Marshall. Aston was ready to pay for James Allison. Even though we say there is a cap, the teams still are able to find money to lure big names. Maybe others have been let go to fit the salaries?

Cs98
Cs98

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 00:43
Cs98 wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 00:34
AR3-GP wrote:

We don't know how any of these teams are budgeting. Ferrari already brought over Loic Serra. Mclaren got Rob Marshall. Aston was ready to pay for James Allison. Even though we say there is a cap, the teams still are able to find money to lure big names. Maybe others have been let go to fit the salaries?
We can be pretty certain that RB, Ferrari and Merc are pushing the boundaries on cap space and utilising the 3 exemptions with big contracts for senior personnel. So Ferrari would probably be forced to move quite a lot of people to make space for a few senior engineers from abroad.

Besides, who are these engineers? So far just rumours from Italian media. Loic Serra obviously pre-dates this move.