2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Fer.Fan wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:14
Macklaren wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:27
Interesting....Charles pointing out an engine/energy deficit to McLaren and RBR rather than chassis. first time I've heard that
that can explain poor speed in the first sector, ferrari had to change PU for Lecler.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lecl ... /10613051/

It seems like it’s more a question of deployment strategy - kinda surprising they can still get this wrong at this point. Still, in a way it’s comforting as this is solvable.

Vanja #66

ing. wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:47
So the question is does Ferrari need the help of (inefficient) beam+RW DF to compensate a relative lack of underfloor DF to keep the tires from degrading? Or was this just a conservative choice in view of relatively few laps available in FPs?
I don't think it was an expected aero setup what RB and McL chose, but it did work for them in Q and R, track simply came to them with more and more rubber. Ferrari most likely didn't even consider changing to smaller BW and setting up the car that way, it's not a small change at all
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

ing.

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 May 2024, 21:30
ing. wrote:
So the question is does Ferrari need the help of (inefficient) beam+RW DF to compensate a relative lack of underfloor DF to keep the tires from degrading? Or was this just a conservative choice in view of relatively few laps available in FPs?
I don't think it was an expected aero setup what RB and McL chose, but it did work for them in Q and R, track simply came to them with more and more rubber. Ferrari most likely didn't even consider changing to smaller BW and setting up the car that way, it's not a small change at all
Canadian GP will defo need different wing and will be the big test of aero efficiency, mechanical compliance and grip, and energy deployment with the long straight and all the chicanes that need to be attacked with good entry speed and good traction/grunt out of these.

f1316
f1316

Vanja #66 wrote:
ing. wrote:
Why do you think this is related to wing level (and hence drag) rather then deployment? Given Leclerc and Fred have both referred to “power strategy” or “hybrid management”, this seems to imply it’s more a question of mapping. Do you think this is just a more convenient public stance? Genuine question, but what they are saying implied that they don’t think it’s the wing level that’s to blame.

scuderiabrandon

Vanja #66 wrote:
ing. wrote:
They get blind sided by how much the other teams sandbag on Friday n Saturday practice sessions. Leclerc's radio comms after qualifying somewhat confirm this. So when they look at their performance, they think they are doing enough, in hindsight it obviously isn't. This is something they will have to note going forward.

Low speed performance was not as dreadful as it's been up until Miami. Some understeer in turn 7 plagued us, but ultimately the time loss there wasn't massive. Braking into Aqcue Minerali, Alta & Rivazza I would say we were the class of the field. Even in the tractions phases looked a lot better as well. Mclaren looked a bit lazy coming out of Alta, took forever to rotate, this was visibly comparable when Piastri was following Leclerc and from the timing when Leclerc was following Norris.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

I thought Ferrari had the best PU this year

Vanja #66

ing. wrote:
19 May 2024, 21:42
Canadian GP will defo need different wing and will be the big test of aero efficiency, mechanical compliance and grip, and energy deployment with the long straight and all the chicanes that need to be attacked with good entry speed and good traction/grunt out of these.
It will be the same setup as Miami for all teams basically, so same rear wing for Ferrari and single-piece beam wing in Canada. Monaco will be typical highest load for everyone of course, but I think we may see a few surprises in Barcelona...

f1316 wrote:
19 May 2024, 21:52
Why do you think this is related to wing level (and hence drag) rather then deployment? Given Leclerc and Fred have both referred to “power strategy” or “hybrid management”, this seems to imply it’s more a question of mapping. Do you think this is just a more convenient public stance? Genuine question, but what they are saying implied that they don’t think it’s the wing level that’s to blame.
Because higher drag is quite obvious when you look at how Miami went and how Imola went in terms of top speeds between Top 3 teams, even if Ferrari Imola upgrade undoubtedly improved their Top Speed by around 1-2kmh in total in my view.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

scuderiabrandon

Spoutnik wrote:
19 May 2024, 22:02
I thought Ferrari had the best PU this year
deployment strategies change from track to track, don't be silly generalizing like this. :lol:

Emag
Emag

Fer.Fan wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:33
Fer.Fan wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:14
Macklaren wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:27
Interesting....Charles pointing out an engine/energy deficit to McLaren and RBR rather than chassis. first time I've heard that
that can explain poor speed in the first sector, ferrari had to change PU for Lecler.
Lecler:

"We lost everything in the straights, and they are doing something weird with the energy, engine-wise, McLaren and Red Bull," he said. “We’ve got to look into it, but nothing that isn't possible to change.

“So we’ll look into that, and once we fix that I think we’ve got a real shot of going back on the top step for the podium," he concluded.
Isn't there a small caveat here that Ferrari was running a slightly more loaded rear wing? Wouldn't that mean if they had run with less df, they would have to sacrifice some performance elsewhere on the track.
Last edited by Emag on 19 May 2024, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

f1316
f1316

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 May 2024, 22:03
ing. wrote:
19 May 2024, 21:42
It will be the same setup as Miami for all teams basically, so same rear wing for Ferrari and single-piece beam wing in Canada. Monaco will be typical highest load for everyone of course, but I think we may see a few surprises in Barcelona...

f1316 wrote:
19 May 2024, 21:52
Because higher drag is quite obvious when you look at how Miami went and how Imola went in terms of top speeds between Top 3 teams, even if Ferrari Imola upgrade undoubtedly improved their Top Speed by around 1-2kmh in total in my view.
Ok, thanks. I guess my point then is that it’s odd that the team choose to blame something else publicly. There must be a reason.

yooogurt

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:40
There was no PU issue or boost from Honda and Mercedes, Ferrari had more wing and more drag
But then why is Charles talking about a different PU strategy (energy management)?
FORZA FERRARI!

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

yooogurt wrote:
19 May 2024, 22:23
Vanja #66 wrote:
There was no PU issue or boost from Honda and Mercedes, Ferrari had more wing and more drag
But then why is Charles talking about a different PU strategy (energy management)?
Could just be his presumptions before he's gotten more info.

Or just excuse making, though Ferrari tends to be little pleased with their drivers criticizing their drivetrains.

Either way, very annoying weekend for me. We're not bad, but it's very frustrating that we've gone from clear 2nd best with some hopes for occasional wins throughout the season to being thankful for even being on the podium cuz we're clear 3rd best.

EDIT: In terms of downforce/drag levels, I feel it's more that Mclaren have made a huge leap here than Ferrari suffering from bad choices. Annoying as hell to acknowledge, but that's my read. In comparison to Red Bull, we seem to be about the same as we were before.

scuderiabrandon

Seanspeed wrote:
19 May 2024, 22:56
yooogurt wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Or just excuse making, though Ferrari tends to be little pleased with their drivers criticizing their drivetrains.

Either way, very annoying weekend for me. We're not bad, but it's very frustrating that we've gone from clear 2nd best with some hopes for occasional wins throughout the season to being thankful for even being on the podium cuz we're clear 3rd best.

EDIT: In terms of downforce/drag levels, I feel it's more that Mclaren have made a huge leap here than Ferrari suffering from bad choices. Annoying as hell to acknowledge, but that's my read. In comparison to Red Bull, we seem to be about the same as we were before. It's unbearable.
1 tenth (race pace & qualifying) between Mclaren Red Bull & Ferrari = clear 3rd best.

Please be real. That's 5degC swing in track temperature, one mistake, one bad pit stop away from having a complete 180 on 1st & 3rd force. Ultimately, we'll go to circuits that will favour us more and vice versa. I can't believe the hissy fit people are throwing, this victim complex needs to stop.

In Miami, we were again a tenth slower than Norris without any major updates, why? Because it was very much a favourable circuit along with favourable conditions. Not to even mention Norris had a 10 lap tyre offset. Mclaren came into Imola saying it will be a strong weekend for them & that's what happened, they had the fastest car. Verstappen lucked out with the tow in Q and having track position is crucial. That's how fine the margins are.

You have to accept that this is how it is going to be for the next two years if we stay on this trajectory.
Last edited by scuderiabrandon on 19 May 2024, 23:46, edited 2 times in total.

yooogurt

Seanspeed wrote:
But he did say that it was noticed after qualifying, so that implies an analysis of the engineers, no?
Seanspeed wrote:
I've never seen him do that, he honest af.
Last edited by yooogurt on 20 May 2024, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.
FORZA FERRARI!

ferkan
ferkan

Seanspeed wrote:
yooogurt wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

EDIT: In terms of downforce/drag levels, I feel it's more that Mclaren have made a huge leap here than Ferrari suffering from bad choices. Annoying as hell to acknowledge, but that's my read. In comparison to Red Bull, we seem to be about the same as we were before.
No we definitely improved vs RB, but Mclaren jump is almost scary. They went from 6-7 tenths a lap behind to being therebouts. They went from being a pig on straight to one of the fastest.

Their upgrade was serious.