2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Xyz22 wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 20:20
AR3-GP wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 19:41
Did Leclerc have longer lasting damage? Even with a pitstop disadvantage he should have easily cleared the Haas and Alpine cars which are simply no match. Sainz finished 50 seconds ahead of the first Haas. That's two extra pitstops worth. Leclerc only had 1 extra pitstop.
Leclerc did 2 additional stops compared to Sainz over the entire race.
He also lost a significant amount of time behind Norris and then you need to factor in traffic in general.
Why did he do 2 extra stops?

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 20:25
Xyz22 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 19:41
Did Leclerc have longer lasting damage? Even with a pitstop disadvantage he should have easily cleared the Haas and Alpine cars which are simply no match. Sainz finished 50 seconds ahead of the first Haas. That's two extra pitstops worth. Leclerc only had 1 extra pitstop.
He also lost a significant amount of time behind Norris and then you need to factor in traffic in general.
They cut the first stint with the hard tyres way too early. The strategy could work but it was --- partially by the slow stop that put Leclerc behind Lando (lapped). He didn't have an insane over speed to just overtake and blitz away (avoiding blue flags) so he pretty much lapped at Lando's pace.

I think they should have gone for mediums after lap 1, then hards and then mediums again as optimal strategy but I don't have the full picture (being lapped / traffic / etc.) . At least they got useful data for Sainz strategy though.

yooogurt

FORZA FERRARI!

Xyz22
Xyz22

Absolutely awful pace.
If they can't fix the issues ASAP the season is done.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

dia6olo wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 03:58
I don't think it's clear at all Ferrari are now 4th best.
It's clear they are struggling since their upgrades because they haven't exactly worked out, it's also clear that McLaren & Mercedes have made very good progress. It is however far from clear that Ferrari have dropped behind Mercedes.
I'd say that we're very close to Mercedes, but they have a better overall car now. Less weaknesses, and thus they will likely be more consistently competitive than Ferrari over the course of different tracks/conditions/tire choices, etc. If things are dry and warm, we seem to be able to just keep up with them in the race, but not really any better.

ScuderiaLeo

Hamilton had damage from his contact with Sainz. It was pretty bad too. I don't think being faster than Hamilton is anything to celebrate here.

The race pace is very close and it's going to come down to track position and conditions, which more often than not won't go in our favor.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Xyz22 wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 20:31
AR3-GP wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 20:25
Xyz22 wrote:

They cut the first stint with the hard tyres way too early. The strategy could work but it was --- partially by the slow stop that put Leclerc behind Lando (lapped). He didn't have an insane over speed to just overtake and blitz away (avoiding blue flags) so he pretty much lapped at Lando's pace.

I think they should have gone for mediums after lap 1, then hards and then mediums again as optimal strategy but I don't have the full picture (being lapped / traffic / etc.) . At least they got useful data for Sainz strategy though.
Okay. The extra stop decision was completely unnecessary to me, unless they were experimenting for Sainz.

ScuderiaLeo

Positive aspects? Leclerc sees very few, and it's hard to blame him. "Carlos's podium helped the team score points for the constructors and we managed to gather a lot of data since we had two cars with quite different setups, even though I didn't feel very comfortable." As Carlos Sainz has already mentioned, Ferrari will immediately start working in Maranello to prepare for the Silverstone weekend, with the technicians also working to improve the bouncing that has once again limited the SF-24 after the updates in Spain. [...]

Leclerc spoke post-race about the latest updates introduced in Spain: "It's true that the update package brought the expected load, we can see it from the data, but there are limitations that we need to analyze and try to resolve," said the Monegasque. He, like his teammate, doesn't think it's a coincidence. "There are few coincidences in F1; since we introduced this package, we've made progress, according to the numbers, but now we need to resolve these limits because we've been struggling for two weekends."

The Monegasque was very honest, and looking ahead to Silverstone, he isn't particularly positive because Ferrari's trend doesn't leave much hope given the recent problems. "We still haven't found a solution to improve things."

https://x.com/formu1a__uno/status/1807467537136865334

:cry:

Schippke
Schippke

If it’s to be believed that this bouncing in high speed corners is the concern… Silverstone is going to be another hard pill to swallow. Until that’s resolved, we’ve cemented ourselves as 4th and even if that gets resolved, the other teams are not sitting on their hands… we’re having to dedicate time and resources to resolve that, whilst the other 3 can keep shifting forward.

Expecting to finish 5th - 8th at Silverstone might be lucky and get ahead of Perez. Unless we get the miracle fix which is unlikely.

Vanja #66

WCC points after 11 races:

2004 - 423 (latest points system)

2007 - 293 (latest points system)

2017 - 318

2022 - 303

2024 - 291

The way Mercedes' resurrection coincides with the slump of Ferrari hurts them a lot in WCC obviously, especially compared to 2017 season. In 2022 R10 and R11 were Silverstone and Austria where Ferrari got 75 points across both weekends, but the following 3-4 weekends were really bad. 2017 slump came between R14-R16 (Singapore, Malaysia, Japan)

Task ahead is simple - solve floor instability and bouncing issues and get back to regular podium positions. If they manage this successfully, a couple more race wins this year are possible.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Vanja #66

Seeing how some of his rivals can't seem to grasp overtaking Max requires thinking and adaptation, switching lines and finding the right time to pull a move, we can remind ourselves how it can be done in Austria

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Andres125sx wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 08:35
ScuderiaLeo wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 16:59

I think since we're used to Leclerc outperforming Sainz we assume he could've done better, but the truth is Leclerc just didn't have it this weekend. Doesn't mean he's a bad driver, he outperformed Sainz 14-0 before this so obviously not
14-0? What substances are you using while watching F1? Those must be pretty strong :lol: :lol:

It is 5-4 for Charles, with just 15 points difference. And that´s with one more GP for Leclerc, as Carlos didn´t participate in Arabia due to appendicitis. 1 victory and 5 podiums for each driver too.

Charles and Carlos are the teammates performing more similar, at least from top teams :wink:
From China sprint race until Spain race, every competitive session was won by Charles.

ScuderiaLeo

Andres125sx wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 08:35
14-0? <>
That's counting both qualifying sessions and sprint sessions, in addition to races. The point is that Leclerc has been outperforming him in every aspect (both qualifying and race) for a while now. I don't think you needed to imply I'm on substances considering you could've just looked it up to confirm, but okay.

Also "They are closely matched" and "Leclerc is generally better" can be true at the same time.
Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 12:02
Seeing how some of his rivals can't seem to grasp overtaking Max requires thinking and adaptation, switching lines and finding the right time to pull a move, we can remind ourselves how it can be done in Austria.
I came into this weekend thinking Leclerc would pull some magical qualifying out of thin air and we would get this again. :P I'm back to reality for Silverstone. Which, funnily enough, is another location for one of their most famous battles (2019).

Norris is an interesting case study right now compared to Leclerc. Leclerc is more patient in the heat of the moment, something Norris is lacking experience in. What would be almost as interesting to me as another Verstappen-Leclerc battle is seeing Leclerc go wheel to wheel with Norris. Though that would mean the SF-24 needs to go toe to toe with the MCL38... :?
Last edited by ScuderiaLeo on 01 Jul 2024, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

Fede90
Fede90

Does the bouncing effect is caused by stalled floor? The problem can be resolved by changing the amount of air by increasing it?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I’m confused by the theory that the suspension is “inadequate for the aero”. This is an amateur opinion on my part but what stops them from running a stiffer spring mechanism? Isn’t stiffness part of the setup tools?

Another concern I would like to raise is that bouncing at high altitude (lower density air)
, is very very unusual. Remember that high altitude transformed the bouncing W13 into a monster. Thinner air puts a cap on downforce which takes a car that is producing too much right into the window. It should have stopped the Ferrari from bouncing. It seems like there is something further amiss.