2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ben1980
Ben1980

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Now hoping Pato can hold on in Anerica!

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:10
mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:07
Ben1980 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:02

Maybe, but, we still took the lead regardless, and im not sure it would have had a massive impact.
With the time he lost behind Max, he could have been several seconds ahead, which would have meant he would have been in front of Hamilton even with the crazy strategy calls. Yes, he did great later, especially in the changeable conditions, but like the pit wall, you have to be on it for the whole race.
When he got passed Max, he was what 3 seconds behind Lewis. If earlier, it would have dependent on getting past both of them, which was not a given.
Just checked, he was 5.3 seconds behind Russell and 4 seconds behind Hamilton before he started his attack on Max.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

BMMR61

Check the data and you'll find that if Oscar was double stacked the time he would have saved would have given him the win. He really was that good today, including making the correct (not inspired) final call on mediums. Another coulda weekend for Oscar after that ridiculous mess at the end of Q3. After 3 years away from the races Merc F1 still haven't forgotten how to win, we STILL have to learn it after two gigantic errors and some smaller niggly ones. If it really was Lando's final choice then it's Sochi 2021 all over again.

mwillems

I think he drove well, but if everything had gone to plan it would have been a 1-2 led by Lando.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 21:16
Ben1980 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:07

With the time he lost behind Max, he could have been several seconds ahead, which would have meant he would have been in front of Hamilton even with the crazy strategy calls. Yes, he did great later, especially in the changeable conditions, but like the pit wall, you have to be on it for the whole race.
When he got passed Max, he was what 3 seconds behind Lewis. If earlier, it would have dependent on getting past both of them, which was not a given.
Just checked, he was 5.3 seconds behind Russell and 4 seconds behind Hamilton before he started his attack on Max.
I recall Brundle talking about how he took .6 out of Hamilton with his drs use on his Max overtake.

I think I was in the ballpark. 3/3.5.

McL-H
McL-H

Ben1980 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 20:38
McL-H wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 20:28
AR3-GP wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 20:16
Norris overshot his pitbox on the final stop which caused his 4.5 second stop (2-2.5 seconds slower than typical).

https://i.postimg.cc/wvSxJ27J/image.png

It also damaged his race. Considering that the gap to Hamilton when he got back on track was 2.5 seconds, this mistake cost him potentially the position, and definitely the DRS to Hamilton.

Drivers simply have to execute if they want to win races. The fault is not all with Mclaren strategist.
Yes, I noticed that too. Strategists do take blame for wasting a solid 1-2 finish today on home soil. But Lando has a tendency to mess things up when it matters most. Don’t get me wrong, I like Lando. But I’m sure Max would be leading the championship in that McLaren. It has been the best car on the grid for quite a while now.
Max would be leading the title? A few say this. I think if Lando didn't have to fight Max in a RB he would likely be winning the title aswell.
I am sure Lando would. But I think Max in a McLaren would beat Max in a Red Bull too at this point.

Ben1980
Ben1980

BMMR61 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 21:32
Check the data and you'll find that if Oscar was double stacked the time he would have saved would have given him the win. He really was that good today, including making the correct (not inspired) final call on mediums. Another coulda weekend for Oscar after that ridiculous mess at the end of Q3. After 3 years away from the races Merc F1 still haven't forgotten how to win, we STILL have to learn it after two gigantic errors and some smaller niggly ones. If it really was Lando's final choice then it's Sochi 2021 all over again.
Unsure on this, how is he winning when behind at the double stack?

At best he gets second.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 21:52
mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 21:16
Ben1980 wrote:

I recall Brundle talking about how he took .6 out of Hamilton with his drs use on his Max overtake.

I think I was in the ballpark. 3/3.5.
No, I just watched it. And had he got past Ham the delta would have been bigger.

-Bandit

mwillems

We are 7 points behind Ferrari for those who care about the Constructors.

-Bandit

willmesquita

Saw here many times people saying that Max would be leading the WDC in our car. Yeah, maybe but:

- Imagine Lando hitting a pylon at Miami or crippling his floor in Quali at Silverstone, or even taking other driver out of a GP...

- In our car, the first 4 rounds, how many points Max could get over what Land achieve?

- And Lando in that dominant 4 races RB20, how many wins?

I mean maybe this is the worst Max's Season in 3 years? Or maybe pressure affects all of them...
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I'm not sure if Max would lead the championship, but I am sure Red Bull/Max combo in a MCL38 would win several of last 6 races (since Miami). Probably more than they managed with RB20.

About race in Silverstone, I think it is clear that McLaren set up for rain. At one moment it was obvious Versteppen was pulling away on the straights but as soon as the rain started drizzling, all of the front runners started to lose ground to both McLaren cars. It is just such a big shame that they made a mistake in both pitstops. I can even understand going a lap longer than Hamilton in second pitstop (you are guessing when the time to pit is, you have a bit of a gap and you can't react to Hamilton) but the first pitstop is inexcusable. Piastri did not lose a little bit of time, he lost 20 seconds.

This is all a culmination of several mistakes this weekend, including qualifying, not double stacking, putting Lando lap late and on wrong tires, Lando sliding in the wet pitbox to lose 2 seconds more, etc.

https://x.com/McLarenF1/status/1810030331883360691

Glad to see Andrea Stella is quick to recognize that drivers shouldn't be required to make all those decisions, the team needs to do better and he says they will improve. Looking forward to it.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 07 Jul 2024, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 22:02
We are 7 points behind Ferrari for those who care about the Constructors.
Depressing isn’t it. Ferrari struggling to understand their car and McLaren still can’t overtake them
Just a fan's point of view

Lucky
Lucky

I don't think Max would even get on the podium at McLaren.

Dee
Dee

willmesquita wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 22:07
Saw here many times people saying that Max would be leading the WDC in our car. Yeah, maybe but:

- Imagine Lando hitting a pylon at Miami or crippling his floor in Quali at Silverstone, or even taking other driver out of a GP...

- In our car, the first 4 rounds, how many points Max could get over what Land achieve?

- And Lando in that dominant 4 races RB20, how many wins?

I mean maybe this is the worst Max's Season in 3 years? Or maybe pressure affects all of them...
To me, this is one of Max's best seasons ever.

His teammate is nowhere. He is the one taking that car to wins and podiums and poles. He calls the strategy when needs be, hence the P2 today.

Huggles
Huggles

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 20:16
Norris overshot his pitbox on the final stop which caused his 4.5 second stop (2-2.5 seconds slower than typical).

https://i.postimg.cc/wvSxJ27J/image.png

It also damaged his race. Considering that the gap to Hamilton when he got back on track was 2.5 seconds, this mistake cost him potentially the position, and definitely the DRS to Hamilton.

Drivers simply have to execute if they want to win races. The fault is not all with Mclaren strategist.
Not to mention him going off track earlier in the race when Oscar and him were 1/2. Him going off removed the double stack opportunity