2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Well, the updated rear wing and the low downforce beam wing have given a good increase in top speed. This car will be harder to overtake on a straight line.

mwillems

The telemetry makes a mockery of the top speeds, I wouldn't read into this too much, there are clearly some different fuel loads, engine modes or whatever else they have done to set up the car. Red Bull are barely trying on the straights.

Last edited by mwillems on 26 Jul 2024, 15:28, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Dafnalina wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 14:56
Do both cars have the new wing?
Yup. For both cars.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 15:26
The telemetry makes a mockery of the top speeds, I wouldn't read into this too much, there are clearly some different fuel loads, engine modes or whatever else they have done to set up the car. Red Bull are barely trying on the straights.

https://i.ibb.co/pjTFsCP/SPAFP1.png
Yeah, right. There's a lot of work to be done to eliminate the weak points as much as possible without losing the strong points.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

LionsHeart wrote:
Dafnalina wrote:
Yup. For both cars.
Thanks!

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Looks like they went too low on downforce.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 14:46
LionsHeart wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 14:39
FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 14:29
I'm not one to jump to conclusions but Verstappen looks extremely dominant in S2 and comparable to others in S1 and S3.

Hopefully they can dial in some speed in FP2 and FP3.
Albon and Verstappen have new engines. Maybe that also has an effect. Max already has a 10-place penalty. In any case, McLaren needs to step it up in the second sector. I think there's a bit of downforce missing.
To be fair McLaren is a tenth clear of the next nearest competitor in S2. It's just that RedBull is crazy fast.
When I watched practice, watched Russell go faster on soft tyres in the first two sectors relative to Max's time on hard tyres, I then understood how fast Red Bull is in the second sector. Then Max put a strong lap on soft tyres. They have a reserve of downforce. Either the balance is good with a low downforce package.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 15:31
Preparation before Monza. :D

Last year, remember how everyone criticized the team for high downforce? Now we will say that the team excessively reduced the frontal drag on the Spa track.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 15:36
FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 15:31
Preparation before Monza. :D

Last year, remember how everyone criticized the team for high downforce? Now we will say that the team excessively reduced the frontal drag on the Spa track.
Due to our patented "excessive" Flexi wings, frontal drag reduction is unlikely to be the issue :D

-Bandit

mwillems

Last years qualifying was quite damp vs FP1. You can see certain places, like turn 7 for instance, where we are clearly very far away from optimal today as we carried a higher peak speed in that corner in the damp last year than in practise today, on a lap that was 3 seconds slower (Roughly 1.5 down to weather, I'd guess) .

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 16:03
Last years qualifying was quite damp vs FP1. You can see certain places, like turn 7 for instance, where we are clearly very far away from optimal today as we carried a higher peak speed in that corner in the damp last year than in practise today, on a lap that was 3 seconds slower (Roughly 1.5 down to weather, I'd guess) .

https://i.ibb.co/fvj2CwK/24v23.png
By the way, it's not necessarily because of the weather. This year, the top layer of asphalt was replaced on most of the track. The same GT3 cars went 3 seconds faster. I think the Formula 1 cars will go faster too, I don't know how much.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 16:43
mwillems wrote:

By the way, it's not necessarily because of the weather. This year, the top layer of asphalt was replaced on most of the track. The same GT3 cars went 3 seconds faster. I think the Formula 1 cars will go faster too, I don't know how much.
Right, but the point is that despite the cars being quicker, the weather being better, the car was better in turn 7 than last year. Now if you add to that fact that the Asphalt is better, you can really see that there is a lot of data in our fast lap today that looks erroneous and not worth relying on in any way.

my point was never about the gap per se, just that you can see there are certain parts of the track in which we are clearly nowhere near our abilities. That corner 7 in partcicular lost us nearly have a second to Max. So when considering the gaps and how mighty RB in sections, it is worth looking also at how much we may or my not have been even trying in some areas, as there certainly looks to be no effort to go fast in some places.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Dafnalina wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 15:30
LionsHeart wrote:
Dafnalina wrote:
Yup. For both cars.
Thanks!
Special for you 😊

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 16:46
LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Right, but the point is that despite the cars being quicker, the weather being better, the car was better in turn 7 than last year. Now if you add to that fact that the Asphalt is better, you can really see that there is a lot of data in our fast lap today that looks erroneous and not worth relying on in any way.

my point was never about the gap per se, just that you can see there are certain parts of the track in which we are clearly nowhere near our abilities. That corner 7 in partcicular lost us nearly have a second to Max. So when considering the gaps and how mighty RB in sections, it is worth looking also at how much we may or my not have been even trying in some areas, as there certainly looks to be no effort to go fast in some places.
Yeah, sure. That's why it's the first practice. :D We'll see all the cards in the qualification.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 16:53
mwillems wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 16:46
LionsHeart wrote:

Yeah, sure. That's why it's the first practice. :D We'll see all the cards in the qualification.
I would say this is one of the most erroneous fast laps I've seen in FP1, it looks like a complete oddity. Like we are either nowhere near the optimum setup, or we are doing something else that is affecting us more than we would normally be affected.

-Bandit