2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Slahinki
Slahinki

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

geogate wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 18:38
oh, I have to say I am a little disappointed in Mika.

Id also say, I don't think Oscar/Lando is the same as Mika/David.
For me, David was a #2 by talent delta, and he knew it.

Oscar I am still waiting to see, but signs are promising - I don't want him to have to curb his enthusiasm just to try to help lando win the wdc, which has a very big risk of instill the number 2 mentality in those around him if not himself. He isn't a #2
If he doesn't help Lando this year, he should expect nothing in return next year should the roles be reversed.

geogate
geogate

i wouldn't want lando to do if roles were reversed either - they are competitors unless they voluntarily agree to do it, which is the way it usually works with equal status

mwillems

He has helped him this year. Both Zak Brown and Lando have both said this.

Hungary was an example where he helped protect Landos position and instead nearly lost his own. It's not lost on me that Lando made a point. Wouldn't surprise me if this was one made back.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Still no plans to swap drivers if Oscar is in front.

https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... n-24090602

Stella:
"I think without Leclerc, Lando and Oscar would have been close enough to each other so that we could have played with other variables, which doesn't necessarily mean that we're going to swap positions now, because I don't think that's part of our agreements, or at least was. Because it seems a little brutal to ask a driver who is going to win a race to swap positions on the track. But we'll review all these things in the next races. And if we come to the conclusion that it's right to swap positions, then we'll do it."

-Bandit

Jurgen von Diaz

You can tell that this team hasn't been in a championship battle with its current leaders. Too much emotions. Or do they just fear Mark Webber if they take Oscar's win? Could there be some kind of clauses?

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 23:14

Stella:
"I think without Leclerc, Lando and Oscar would have been close enough to each other so that we could have played with other variables, which doesn't necessarily mean that we're going to swap positions now, because I don't think that's part of our agreements, or at least was. Because it seems a little brutal to ask a driver who is going to win a race to swap positions on the track. But we'll review all these things in the next races. And if we come to the conclusion that it's right to swap positions, then we'll do it."
That says swapping for a win. And I understand that, but swapping 2nd and 3rd isn't the same, but that quote doesn't say they won't swap.

But, its not really the swapping, I would expect them to be telling them to be more cautious on lap 1, and I wouldn't expect any similar situations. That will be based in team first.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
08 Sep 2024, 08:31
mwillems wrote:

Stella:
That says swapping for a win. And I understand that, but swapping 2nd and 3rd isn't the same, but that quote doesn't say they won't swap.

But, its not really the swapping, I would expect them to be telling them to be more cautious on lap 1, and I wouldn't expect any similar situations. That will be based in team first.
True, I wasn't clear on that. But at the same time the article seems to suggest that when not 1st and 2nd it isn't a consideration.

Still, there will be a change, but I'm glad it won't be too severe.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
08 Sep 2024, 08:46
Ben1980 wrote:
08 Sep 2024, 08:31
mwillems wrote:

Stella:

True, I wasn't clear on that. But at the same time the article seems to suggest that when not 1st and 2nd it isn't a consideration.

Still, there will be a change, but I'm glad it won't be too severe.
Just think they will play it race by race. Which is sensible. I also don't think it will be something that can happen all the time. Still expect tge team to be challenged by other drivers, so it's unlikely they cruise off and make it all straight forward.

I think, it will be a case of be prepared for an order, but put the team first. ( that is what I think was their takeaway from Monza)

mwillems

Even Taylor Swift's European tour wasn't as good as this.

-Bandit

Henri
Henri

mwillems wrote:

Stella:
Oscar is the hungry young lion and norris the old alpha.. let them fight and show who has the rights to be number 1

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Good grief this thread has descending into mostly a argument about which of our 2 incredibly talented and exciting drivers is the better, or worst.

Can we all please just take a minute to look at where we are compared to even 2 years ago. Stop the in fighting and accept that both drivers are potential future champions and this is an exciting time to be a McLaren fan after 25 years without a WCC and 16 years without a WDC.

Maybe there should be a separate thread for driver arguments.....
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

mwillems

It's not about that at all. It's about whether Lando deserves certain status within the team and the benefits that come with it.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
08 Sep 2024, 10:03
It's not about that at all. It's about whether Lando deserves certain status within the team and the benefits that come with it.
This is where it all becomes a bit nuanced. Should Lando be the number 1 driver, no. It's not how the team, currently operates. Should they do what they can do to help him win a title, yes. Which I think should be obvious.

Issue going forward is, if both drivers are so evenly matched, and I wouldn't expect that to change, will having them as joint team leaders make it harder to win a drivers title.

Based on all recent title winners, the answer is probably yes. Wins are mainly by lead drivers, apart from Rosberg.

But..Ferrari will have joint lead drivers next year, and Merc will have 2x number two drivers.

Which probably means Verstappen wins next year by my own calculations.

geogate
geogate

but what does "do what they can to help him win a title" actually mean.
So far as I am aware, through the history of Mclaren, equal status drivers means that it requires an agreement with the team and both drivers before one of they will act in a supporting roll to the other. That was certainly the situation with DC and Mika - exactly what is was between Hamilton and Alonso Im not sure in 2007 as it was Hamiltons rookie season ... but given events on the track one has to assume that was the case there too.
So the question becomes, what will Oscar do. In his situation, I wouldn't be moving over for Norris with 8 races to go - that's a 1/3rd of a season where he takes on a no 2 status - and that becomes a hard mentality to change within the team.
What Norris did in Hungary wont have help the trust between them either. Oscar was pretty pissed looking at him after race

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

mwillems wrote:
08 Sep 2024, 10:03
That is what it should be about and for some posters it is what it is about, however there are literally pages of the same handful of people having the same circular argument. It's spoiling the forum!!
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.