McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: McLaren MCL38

Both Monaco and Zandvoort wings have been brought, interesting. Zandvoort wing is more efficient, but definitely isn't loaded as much as Monaco spec
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mwillems

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 09:30
Both Monaco and Zandvoort wings have been brought, interesting. Zandvoort wing is more efficient, but definitely isn't loaded as much as Monaco spec
They did the same last year and used the less loaded wing. A contributing factor is likely to be the removal of 4 corners that were replaced by a straight.

I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Sevach
Sevach

SilviuAgo

McLaren asked by FIA to modify rear wing after 'mini-DRS' controversy.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10656067/

Vanja #66

Much bigger beam wing than what was used in Zandvoort, about as big as launch spec beam of SF 24

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Emag
Emag

They have done a really good job with the suspension of this car. Probably alongside Ferrari, they're the only ones that can be aggressive with the kerbs.

Avocado
Avocado

Although there are no doubts that the wing fully complies with the current regulations, and passes all the static tests, the FIA has requested for changes to be made.
Excuse me??????

michl420
michl420

Avocado wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 21:56
Although there are no doubts that the wing fully complies with the current regulations, and passes all the static tests, the FIA has requested for changes to be made.
Excuse me??????
I heard McLaren offered the FIA ​​a change, but also pointed the FIA ​​to other teams. Classic politic.

bauc

michl420 wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 07:52
Avocado wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 21:56
Excuse me??????
I heard McLaren offered the FIA ​​a change, but also pointed the FIA ​​to other teams. Classic politic.
Mclaren will need to apply just a small metal plate on the edges of the upper wing in order for it not to bend, or simply use more material on the hole wing plate to make it stay in the same form, or flex/bend as little as possible. The wing is legal as it passes all FIA tests, but due to complaint from other teams as the ''mini DRS'' is against the ''spirit'' of the rules FIA requested (or Mclaren have volunteered) to make the changes needed.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Balalu
Balalu

Nikolas Tombazis, the FIA’s single seater director: “The wing passed all the tests and satisfied what was written in the technical directives,” he told Sky Italia. “It did not deserve this exaggeration.”

For some reason I can't link to the article, but Tombazis also mentioned how the direction of the sunlight exegerated the perception of the gap size. This is something that immediately caught my attention when I first saw the video.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

hollus

I think most people in this forum realize that the ussue is with the yellow line, but I fear that, given the lighting, the casual viewer might think that it is the red line being discussed. The red line would be voodoo engineering, the clear color between the yellow and red lines is of course just light reflection.

Rivals, not enemies.

venkyhere
venkyhere

Of course.
In fact, it's the sun-lit corner of the flap (represented by red in your edit) that clearly showed, without ambiguity, that the lower corner of the flap is indeed bending upwards and opening up the 'gap' (yellow) between flap and main wing. Without the sun 'perfectly lighting up' the bottom corner of flap, the screenshots/videos wouldn't have been as conclusive.

.poz
.poz

warpomex wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 02:37
Ok, should I ask it differently...

Does the McLaren front wing gets any benefit from opening a gap between the fix point of the wing and the rest of the planes?
They are the only ones that do that. Surely it's for their benefit?
the benefit come form the wing (first two planes) bending a lot, the gap is just a secondary effect

a wing near the tarmac produce more downforce and (but this is just my opinion) they are controlling the flux going into the venturi

KAIZEN

This is a place to compare McLaren cars, not a place to study aerodynamics.
That flow is also wrong, so we ask that the moderators delete it.

hollus

Wish granted.
That dubious flow-wishing exercise, and all the posts complaining about it, are now in the team thread (still with car thread post titles).

Also, please, please, please, remember to cite sources! It can be stealing and uncheckable otherwise.
Rivals, not enemies.