2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bananapeel23

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

SilviuAgo wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 12:29
Very good article by Marc Hughes:
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mark ... periority/

There was a moment, four-five laps into the race, where up and down the pitwall there was general surprise that he was pushing as hard as he was, almost two seconds ahead of Max Verstappen by the end of the fifth lap.

Surely he was pressing the medium tyre too hard for the optimum strategy? Except that he wasn’t pushing. He was at this point just waiting for his tyres to come fully up to temperature. Even doing this he was pulling away from the Red Bull at 0.5s per lap. Which in turn was well clear of the two Mercedes.

It was lap nine when Norris was told he could begin to push. He duly lapped a full 1s faster than Verstappen. That’s how far ahead the MCL38 was around here, a high-downforce track where it’s all about balance and driveability.
Ferrari qualifying out of position really flattered McLaren. This win wouldn't have been anywhere near as dominant if Leclerc had been in P2.

Was McLaren the fastest in the race? Probably.

Was Norris 1 second per lap faster than the competition on the mediums because the McLaren had an extra second of pace over every other team? Almost certainly not.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SilviuAgo wrote:

There was a moment, four-five laps into the race, where up and down the pitwall there was general surprise that he was pushing as hard as he was, almost two seconds ahead of Max Verstappen by the end of the fifth lap.

Surely he was pressing the medium tyre too hard for the optimum strategy? Except that he wasn’t pushing. He was at this point just waiting for his tyres to come fully up to temperature. Even doing this he was pulling away from the Red Bull at 0.5s per lap. Which in turn was well clear of the two Mercedes.

It was lap nine when Norris was told he could begin to push. He duly lapped a full 1s faster than Verstappen. That’s how far ahead the MCL38 was around here, a high-downforce track where it’s all about balance and driveability.
Great article, thank you for sharing.
Hungary and Zandvoort were both dominant performances. It has better aero efficiency across the grid but at low-drag the efficiency of the Ferrari and Red Bull is more comparable to our car.
So Stella is saying that we have best aero efficiency overall but when the drag is low, the amount lost due to drag is smaller so the gaps are smaller. Maybe an admission they think the car is fastest?

Macklaren
Macklaren

bananapeel23 wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 12:55

Ferrari qualifying out of position really flattered McLaren. This win wouldn't have been anywhere near as dominant if Leclerc had been in P2.

Was Norris 1 second per lap faster than the competition on the mediums because the McLaren had an extra second of pace over every other team? Almost certainly not.
Just like Ferrari taking a punt on strategy flattered them in Monza.
It's interesting that rivals thought Lando was pushing too hard at the start when he came on the radio and said he was "pace 6". Similarly when Charles put in the fastest lap, Lando said on the risk he couldn't match that only to go 1 sec faster on the next lap and take it back. I think he had plenty of pace in hand

Gillian
Gillian

bananapeel23 wrote:
SilviuAgo wrote:

I think Leclerc would have been faster than Verstappen over the full race but it probably would have been just a few tenths on average. I don't see how anyone would have been even within 0.5 second of Norris in the McLaren.

geogate
geogate

The B team in Formula One has been a topic of debate for years. However, I believe that the current circumstances require us to reconsider this issue. There was a time when Formula One was struggling to attract enough teams, with fears of the field dropping below 10 teams. Now, the situation has changed, and it is likely that the number of teams will be limited to 10, despite the interest from credible organisations wanting to join the grid. The sport has experienced significant growth and has attracted a new audience who are deterred by any perceived unfairness.
It is clearly wrong, blatantly not a level playing field
The problem for me is that while for sure Formula one and the FIA could prevent it, legally I don't know if they can change it now ... not without it getting very very messy.

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

Macklaren wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 14:41
bananapeel23 wrote:

It's interesting that rivals thought Lando was pushing too hard at the start when he came on the radio and said he was "pace 6". Similarly when Charles put in the fastest lap, Lando said on the risk he couldn't match that only to go 1 sec faster on the next lap and take it back. I think he had plenty of pace in hand
Lando cooled the tyres and then went for the FL, Charles did his in a constant push during the stint.
Charles’ FL is actually more impressive, as he was constantly pushing the tyres from the first lap out of the pits; in doing so, he was some tenths faster than Piastri who was also pushing at the same time.

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
bananapeel23 wrote:

The harder the tyre, the closer the performance. Mediums would still have seen the Mclaren drop the Ferrari. But even on hards, pace was comparable with the Ferrari, but Lando wasn't pushing. Quite the opposite, he'd been told just to bring the car home. Charles was trying to get a move on and had 6 lap fresher hards with a tyre delta and less laps to do in the race than on Lando's car. And yet still, he was only able to go a little faster than Lando.

Ferrari was indeed out of position at the start of the race, but was probably around the right position come the end.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

basti313
basti313

mwillems wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 17:24
Ferrari was indeed out of position at the start of the race, but was probably around the right position come the end.
I agree with the position against McLaren. There were only 4 comparable laps between Pia and Lec on hards and both in free air. In these laps Pia was 1sec faster in sum. The Ferrari was slower on both tires.
The big question still is Pia vs. Max, but I think without the Mercs he could have been behind Max for the first stop and get the undercut.
Don`t russel the hamster!

CjC
CjC

bananapeel23 wrote:
SilviuAgo wrote:

Flattered McLaren? No.
Hindered McLaren? Yes.
Mclaren needed Ferrari at the front of the grid to take points off Verstappen.
Just a fan's point of view

organic

Gillian wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 15:18
bananapeel23 wrote:
SilviuAgo wrote:

I think Leclerc would have been faster than Verstappen over the full race but it probably would have been just a few tenths on average. I don't see how anyone would have been even within 0.5 second of Norris in the McLaren.
On average Lec was faster than Norris and Verstappen on the hards (by about two hundredths) and he was always bottled up behind others on the meds. The main difference between ver and nor in Singapore was created on medium tyres which we didn't get a good look at on the Ferrari. But in all likelihood they would have been closer to McLaren than red bull were.

I say that mostly because Red bull were just horrendous on the med tyre. Image almost worst in field dropoff . Almost 100% chance that Ferrari would've been a great deal better on the med and not much worse than they were on the hard. Not to say Ferrari would've won but it would've been far closer

That said there's always ifs buts and maybes. Reality is the last 3 high downforce circuits McLaren have dominated with over 20s gap each time

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

basti313 wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 17:46
mwillems wrote:
I agree with the position against McLaren. There were only 4 comparable laps between Pia and Lec on hards and both in free air. In these laps Pia was 1sec faster in sum. The Ferrari was slower on both tires.
The big question still is Pia vs. Max, but I think without the Mercs he could have been behind Max for the first stop and get the undercut.
Out of curiosity, which are these 4 laps on hards where Piastri would be faster than Leclerc?
Unless you are taking those where Leclerc was battling Alonso and the two Mercedes.

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

mwillems wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
bananapeel23 wrote:

The harder the tyre, the closer the performance. Mediums would still have seen the Mclaren drop the Ferrari. But even on hards, pace was comparable with the Ferrari, but Lando wasn't pushing. Quite the opposite, he'd been told just to bring the car home. Charles was trying to get a move on and had 6 lap fresher hards with a tyre delta and less laps to do in the race than on Lando's car. And yet still, he was only able to go a little faster than Lando.

I take this post from yooogurt in the Ferrari thread.

———

free air pace
Charles Lando
40 +0.29 1:37:194
41 1:36:166 +0.4
42 +0.86 1:36:404
43 1:35:849 +0.76
44 1:35:639 +0.64
45 1:35:716 +1.21
46 1:35:371 +0.58
47 1:35:758 +0.81
48 +0.87 1:34:925
49 +0.19 1:36:060
50 +1.22 1:36:311
51 1:36:424 +0.18
52 1:36:020 +0.17
53 1:36:099 +0.34
54 1:36:454 +0.3
55 1:36:560 +0.23
56 1:36:497 +0.7
57 1:36:802 +2.05
58 1:37:510 +0.22
59 +1.27 1:36:948
60 +1.53 1:36:631
61 +1.51 1:36:820
62 +0.8 1:37:922

48-50 and 59-62 - fighting mercs.
Lando ofk did not attack to the maximum, but clearly not a second slower than he could drive.
It's obvious to me that we should have fought for the win, and the expectations of the drivers are not random, but unfortunately we failed in Q3.

——

Is Lando a little slower?
He is actually a lot slower, taking into account only the laps of Leclerc in free air.
Lando’s tyres were older, but Leclerc had to battle cars so basically taking life out of the tyres; Lando himself said in the press conference that he pushed flat out almost in the whole race.

Also, how did you come to the conclusion that Mclaren would drop Ferrari on Medium tyres?
I don’t see any evidence in any data, as we don’t have any.

basti313
basti313

DoctorRadio wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 18:54
basti313 wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 17:46
mwillems wrote:
Out of curiosity, which are these 4 laps on hards where Piastri would be faster than Leclerc?
Unless you are taking those where Leclerc was battling Alonso and the two Mercedes.
Sorry, I closed the lap charts, but this was right after both had stopped. I think Lec cleared Alo and if I remember correctly Pia cleared Ham...there were some laps where both had free air after the first pass after the stop, so well comparable as both still had a target in front.
Don`t russel the hamster!