Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Ferrari F10

I know the Torro Rosso's.. basically like last years RedBull but flared out more.
As for the Williams now.. yes it does look like the Ferrari's, just smaller.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Blackout wrote:Couldn't find all the photo I have... maybe later...

I'd like to see higher res versions of these... they exist?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Miguel
Miguel

First of all, because the memory of fish lasts 2 seconds and the memory of forum writers lasts one page, let me remind you that the quote about the wild guess is mine. Is it wrong? I'm not surprised. Basically the only thing I know about engines is that they can't be more efficient than a Carnot cycle. That's it. Someone asked for a guess and I provided it. Of course, my guesses at other aspects of life may be more accurate.
Jersey Tom wrote:My sources close to the action indicate it is closer to a 9.71hp increase, at STP.
I'm surprised by this figure. More concretely, by its accuracy. Why 9.71 and not 9.72? That gives me the impression that F1 engines have a QA that sets their power by 5 significant figures. Do you guys (or JT's sources) have a clue of the factory variability of F1 engines? How does it compare with street car engines?

EDIT: Verb fixing.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Miguel wrote:
Jersey Tom wrote:My sources close to the action indicate it is closer to a 9.71hp increase, at STP.
I'm surprised by this figure. More concretely, by its accuracy. Why 9.71 and not 9.72? That gives me the impression that F1 engines have a QA that sets their power by 5 significant figures. Do you guys (or JT's sources) have a clue of the factory variability of F1 engines? How does it compare with street car engines?

Sarcasm...
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Miguel
Miguel

Jersey Tom wrote:
Miguel wrote:

Sarcasm...
Sorry :oops:
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

timbo
timbo

So, Domenicali confirmed what I guessed based on drivers' comments -- F-duct was hurting Ferrari DF-wise
Domenicali said post-Spain analysis of the F-duct used in the Barcelona had shown that it had actually cost the F10 ultimate downforce - despite providing a straight-line speed boost.

ecapox

I read that also Timbo. Question about the control of the F-Duct:

Can it be operated by a button on the steering wheel? If so, make a small electromangnet that pulls a door open when it needs to be in use and pushes the door closed when the button is not pressed.

raymondu999

that would make it "active" or "moveable" aero which is illegal. Think of it as that no parts of the car can move to affect aero. Except that McLaren uses the DRIVER. Hmmph.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mistrx
mistrx

here is an article from Scarbs regadring those 12HP

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/05/1 ... ification/

autogyro
autogyro

I thought their f-duct looked a bit basic on the control side, perhaps it is all the escaping nitrogen from the pneumatic valve spring system upseting the air flow as it generates all that extra horse power?
At least they have not built what looks like a turbine house around it to help it work like McLaren.
If they used much harder suspension like McLaren they might suck the car down better and like McLaren it could then hold the inside front wheel fully stationary in the air and save on tyre wear as well.
The way things are going, Lotus could well be up with these guys in a couple more races.

segedunum
segedunum

timbo wrote:So, Domenicali confirmed what I guessed based on drivers' comments -- F-duct was hurting Ferrari DF-wise
Domenicali said post-Spain analysis of the F-duct used in the Barcelona had shown that it had actually cost the F10 ultimate downforce - despite providing a straight-line speed boost.
Yep, which makes the assumption that teams can simply use a F-duct system and add downforce for free nonsense. Making the F-duct really work is complicated and requires a very specific rear wing to try and ensure that compromises are not made with downforce versus not having the system.

thestig84
thestig84

autogyro wrote:I thought their f-duct looked a bit basic on the control side, perhaps it is all the escaping nitrogen from the pneumatic valve spring system upseting the air flow as it generates all that extra horse power?
At least they have not built what looks like a turbine house around it to help it work like McLaren.
If they used much harder suspension like McLaren they might suck the car down better and like McLaren it could then hold the inside front wheel fully stationary in the air and save on tyre wear as well.
The way things are going, Lotus could well be up with these guys in a couple more races.
Thanks for that. It has really added to the thread. Its not the 1st thread you pointless comparison of Mclaren to turbine has appeared. Have you even seen a turbine/turbine housing!?

Back on topic. SD comments are very interesting. However I was still initially impressed with their f duct in Spain. I think it looks like a good start point and will no doubt be a lot better after 4 weeks added development in time for Turkey. Will be interesting if they and Mclaren will close the gap on RB with Turkeys fairly long straight.

ringo

segedunum wrote:
timbo wrote:So, Domenicali confirmed what I guessed based on drivers' comments -- F-duct was hurting Ferrari DF-wise
Yep, which makes the assumption that teams can simply use a F-duct system and add downforce for free nonsense. Making the F-duct really work is complicated and requires a very specific rear wing to try and ensure that compromises are not made with downforce versus not having the system.
No, what it concludes is that ferrari's is not fully controlled by the driver and leaks when not activated. which you kinda said it in your last sentence.
The f duct is like making an air tight seal out of air. It's difficult.
The f duct can be free and zero compromise, with the right design. From the first time i saw other teams building the f duct i knew it would be a hack job.
I have a general mathematical understanding of how it works, and i believe it can operate without a compromise; theoretically.
For Sure!!

marcush.
marcush.

the advantages for an f-duct are not that big ,if you look into this calculator:

http://www.baranidesign.com/acceleratio ... ation.html

the main advantage seems to be the high end speed but in terms of time its not
setting the world on fire...

Intego

mistrx wrote:here is an article from Scarbs regadring those 12HP

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/05/1 ... ification/
And here we come full circle. That was the source to kick off the 12 HP speculation ... :mrgreen:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules