2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
iotar__

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes Alo AND Vet too!

Are they really going for Kvyat #-o? If so with Raikkonen-Vettel, Ricciardo - Kvyat and Magnussen or Button at McL F1 is a bit of a joke when it comes to driver choices. One shouldn't be surprised then that outside of Perez or Alonso making a difference good racing was barely existent this season. Everything is fixed, differences big and teams usually drive in separate bubbles. Instead of creating another group to make "racing better" - how about starting with promoting talent and speed?

Fine by me, it's going to be a walk in a park for Merc unless they equalise, I stress equalise not unfreeze engines or FIA/Ecclestone pulls off some major stunts.

F1NAC

basti313 wrote:Does anyone have the video of Massa interrupting the Alonso interview and asking him where he is going?

Hail22

Will Mattiaci be saying something a long these lines to Vettel in the off season?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ag9Sll6RI[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

OK so after the initial shock.......and the 'WTF just happened here'......let's get some things in place:

Vettel out of RedBull > confirmed
Vettel to Ferrari > No official conformation, but Horner stating 'Ferrari made him an offer' and the 'Get out clause' are enough.
Danill Kvyat to RedBull > confirmed

Alonso to Mclaren > not confirmed, 99% sure he will, still not guaranteed.
Raikkonen at Ferrari > more or less a certainty. Still, who knows.

Button stays at Mclaren > Button seemed to be 'confident' about next year. I figure that means he's at Mclaren in 2015, esp.
since he still has good ties with Honda.
Magnussen out of Mclaren > IMHO, desptie Eddie Jordan's 'predictions', i think it's a certainty. Remember, K-mag only had a seat there because of 'contractual' promises, and simply put, things being a mess with Withmarsh. K-mag out and done, never to be seen again.

Toro Rosso > Max Verstappen confirmed
Toro Rosso > JEV out, confirmed
Toro Rosso > Carlos Sains Jr. seems probable. how about Felipe Nasr?
Mercedes > Hamilton WDC, hamilton stays. Rosberg using 'dirty' tricks to piss on Hamilton's title game, Ham out.
Rosberg > stays at Mercedes in any case.
Williams > both decided.

so..........let's see now. There are just a few variables left now, and i'd see it going as follows:

Final stage of driver 'market' depends on 2 figures:
1 > Alonso's team confirmation next year (Ferrari/Mclaren/Lotus)
2 > Hamilton's Championship result.

Hamilton went to Merc to get a 2014 championship. That's his goal, that's his objective, everything else don't matter. I'd even dare to say there might be a get-out of Merc if he doesn't get his 2014 Title. I think he will, but let's imagine he doesn't. So Hamilton out of Mercedes for 2015 would leave him 2 places to go : Back to Mclaren, or off to join Vettel at Ferrari.

This would make it interesting, because i'm doubtfull Alonso will accept a pairing of Alonso/Hamilton @ Mclaren. They clashed in the past, and Hamilton vs Rosberg clash is a dead given the same will happen again @ Mclaren. Still, not impossible, but highly improbable.

Ferrari expressed Hamilton is 'on top of their driver list', so Hamilton - Vettel @ Ferrari could happen, Alonso - Button @ Mclaren easily could, too. Then who'd be at the Merc seat is anyone's guess, unless the crazy thing would happen Alonso is paired with Magnussen and Button is paired with Rosberg @ Mercedes.

Of all the odds, chances of Alonso being at Lotus is minute, and there are zero signs to believe such a thing.
That would make the list as following;

1 - Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes AMG
2 - Nico Rosberg - Mercedes AMG
3 - Daniel Ricciardo - Infinity RedBull Racing
4 - Danill Kvyat - Infinity RedBull Racing
5 - Valterri Bottas - Martini Williams Mercedes
6 - Felipe Massa - Martini Williams Mercedes
7 - Sebastien Vettel - Scuderia Ferrari
8 - Kimi Raikkonen - Scuderia Ferrari
9 - Nico Hulkenberg - Force India Ferrari
10 - Sergio Perez - Force India Ferrari
11 - Fernando Alonso - Mclaren Honda
12 - Jenson Button - Mclaren Honda
14 - Max Verstappen - Toro Rosso Renault
15 - Carlos Sainz. Jr - Toro Rosso Renault

i could see this happen though

1 - Nico Rosberg - Mercedes AMG
2 - Jenson Button - Mercedes AMG
7 - Lewis Hamilton - Scuderia Ferrari
8 - Sebastien Vettel - Scuderia Ferrari
11 - Fernando Alonso - Mclaren Honda
12 - Kamui Kobayashi - Mclaren Honda

or this

2 - Jenson Button - Mercedes AMG
7 - Fernando Alonso - Scuderia Ferrari
8 - Sebastien Vettel - Scuderia Ferrari
11 - Lewis Hamilton - Mclaren Honda
12 - Romain Grosjean - Mclaren Honda

or combo breaker this :mrgreen:

2 - Fernando Alonso - Mercedes AMG
7 - Sebastien Vettel- Scuderia Ferrari
8 - Lewis Hamilton - Scuderia Ferrari
11 - Kimi Raikkonen - Mclaren Honda
12 - Romain Grosjean - Mclaren Honda

i just don't know anymore

anyway, i'd expect

Hamilton @ Mercedes as Champion
Fernando @ Mclaren
Vettel @ Ferrari
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

prince
prince

Like I had said before in one of the threads, I can't see how RBR would produce a championship winning car in near future. I would like to believe, THAT would be reason why Vettel is leaving and not because a hot rod is beating him in the current car. With Newey stepping back and Prodromou having left, Vettel would have felt that, there PROBABLY isn't the kind of depth in the ranks, which will keep him optimistic. Yesterday's practice times and today's qualifying thumping (1.6 second) from Merc, on a track which was a heaven for RBR cars, would definitely makes one think, what happened to aero efficiency of RBR?

Once you lose ground in a new era of regulations in F1, it is hard to make a quick comeback. Brawn demonstrated a far more methodical approach in reviving fortunes of a totally written off team. A man of his experience and intellect understood that succeeding is step by step process. So, rebuilding at RBR, McLaren and Ferrari would take time. All these teams need someone who can be a central and highly contributing part of that journey. Vettel might have decided to be part of of some other team's journey, on whom he is more optimistic. And you never know, Vettel might just pop up at McLaren, following Prodromou. :)

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

ok let's change this silly season even more;

Ferrari has completely changed > no domenicali, no montezemolo. Mattiaci and Marconi at the helm.
Ferrari certainly would still be interested in Newey.
Would this 'power figure' change at Ferrari mean a possible Newey seat @ Ferrari?!!, especially with Vettel there,
who has proven to be a very successfull Newey partnership formula?

I'm hoping for this silly season to get even more crazy 8) 8) 8)
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Mesteño

Lobato, at the spanish TV, stating that Fernando might have a sabbatical year awaiting for a winner car, in this case the Merc, with Hamilton out in 2015.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Manoah2u wrote: Button stays at Mclaren > Button seemed to be 'confident' about next year. I figure that means he's at Mclaren in 2015, esp.
Magnussen out of Mclaren > IMHO, desptie Eddie Jordan's 'predictions', i think it's a certainty. Remember, K-mag only had a seat there because of 'contractual' promises, and simply put, things being a mess with Withmarsh. K-mag out and done, never to be seen again.
Disagree with this. Ron Dennis has made it quite clear he doesn't like Button, and will most likely retain Magnussen. I like Button, but even I can see the reality.

I would love to see Alonso vs Button at McLaren, but I think it's been clear for some time that if Alonso was to become available, Button would be out.

Alonso to McLaren is still not confirmed though, and now that Vettel has let the cat out of the bag so to speak, any salary offer McLaren put to Alonso might become significantly reduced. Remember, at current Alonso is effectively without a drive for 2015. McLaren could now be his ONLY option, and Ron Dennis will most certainly use that as a bargaining chip.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Diesel wrote:
Manoah2u wrote: Button stays at Mclaren > Button seemed to be 'confident' about next year. I figure that means he's at Mclaren in 2015, esp.
Disagree with this. Ron Dennis has made it quite clear he doesn't like Button, and will most likely retain Magnussen. I like Button, but even I can see the reality.

I would love to see Alonso vs Button at McLaren, but I think it's been clear for some time that if Alonso was to become available, Button would be out.

Alonso to McLaren is still not confirmed though, and now that Vettel has let the cat out of the bag so to speak, any salary offer McLaren put to Alonso might become significantly reduced. Remember, at current Alonso is effectively without a drive for 2015. McLaren could now be his ONLY option, and Ron Dennis will most certainly use that as a bargaining chip.
I've missed out on the 'clear button dislike' of ron dennis, where did you get that from, i'd be interested to look into it.

I'd say Alonso has a contract in his pocket for quite a while now, to be honest. Even though It would be against all odds, he might even be speaking the truth is he's staying at Ferrari.
He'd still be speaking truth if he said he's at ferrari and still with Ferrari, he just doesn't have to point out that this partnership ends this year.

Everything points out to a Alonso-Mclaren deal and that has been suggested since 2013, actually (or early this year anyway).

So I don't really see a Ron Dennis - 'bargaining' to be fair. I'd say the deal has been done and that's why Vettel is contracted at Ferrari. I'd say Vettel was announced to leave RedBull because he got a 'offer' from Ferrari, and though that offer presumably has been on the table for a while, there was still a key role for Alonso to be played there. The suggestion Vettel will go to the Reds means a seat becomes vacant. I can only see Alonso being the one that is responsible for that seat, and I can't imagine Alonso 'giving up' that seat before having an actual seat in a competetive car for 2015.

Lauda says there's no room for Alonso @ Mercedes at this point, and since the Title has not been decided yet, Lauda is speaking truth when stating that. It would be different if Lewis Hammertime would exit Merc, but that def. won't be happening until the last race. So either expect Alonso having a deal at Mclaren for 15 and being announced tomorrow,
or expect to wait untill the last race for an announcement of both Alonso and Hamilton.

It looks as though 2015 is shaping up to be a championship battle between Mercedes and RedBull though. RedBull have catched up to Merc significantly, and though i expect Mclaren and Ferrari to be competetive 2015, i don't see them CC competitive.

That would mean a battle for Hamilton's 3rd WDC in 2015 versus Daniel Ricciardo's first, and Rosberg's first. I don't see the young russian in between there, i do see him as a Webber-esque figure for a possible CC for RedBull.

I'm enjoying the 2014 season this far a whole lot, i can't wait for the 2015 season!

McLobby

Diesel wrote: Alonso to McLaren is still not confirmed though, and now that Vettel has let the cat out of the bag so to speak, any salary offer McLaren put to Alonso might become significantly reduced. Remember, at current Alonso is effectively without a drive for 2015. McLaren could now be his ONLY option, and Ron Dennis will most certainly use that as a bargaining chip.
Not if Alonso has already sign with McLaren as the rumors suggest. In his interview today he made it clear that his decision to leave was what triggered the move of Vettel to Ferrari

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

prince wrote:Like I had said before in one of the threads, I can't see how RBR would produce a championship winning car in near future. I would like to believe, THAT would be reason why Vettel is leaving and not because a hot rod is beating him in the current car. With Newey stepping back and Prodromou having left, Vettel would have felt that, there PROBABLY isn't the kind of depth in the ranks, which will keep him optimistic. Yesterday's practice times and today's qualifying thumping (1.6 second) from Merc, on a track which was a heaven for RBR cars, would definitely makes one think, what happened to aero efficiency of RBR?

Once you lose ground in a new era of regulations in F1, it is hard to make a quick comeback. Brawn demonstrated a far more methodical approach in reviving fortunes of a totally written off team. A man of his experience and intellect understood that succeeding is step by step process. So, rebuilding at RBR, McLaren and Ferrari would take time. All these teams need someone who can be a central and highly contributing part of that journey. Vettel might have decided to be part of of some other team's journey, on whom he is more optimistic. And you never know, Vettel might just pop up at McLaren, following Prodromou. :)
With the regulations as they are, Mercedes are going to cruise to the title next season unless Honda pull something incredible out of the bag. From there, the question is whether you stay at Red Bull with the dream team slowly disbanding, or go and drive for Ferrari with no genuine expectations of immediate success, a brand new management setup, an adoring worldwide fanbase, a chance to emulate your idol Schumacher and with Raikonnen retiring next season, likely total #1 status.

Vettel has made no secret of his wish to drive for Ferrari and with no WDC to compete for this season or likely next season regardless of whether he is at RB or Ferrari, the timing is right to make the change.

aral
aral

McLobby wrote:
Diesel wrote: Alonso to McLaren is still not confirmed though, and now that Vettel has let the cat out of the bag so to speak, any salary offer McLaren put to Alonso might become significantly reduced. Remember, at current Alonso is effectively without a drive for 2015. McLaren could now be his ONLY option, and Ron Dennis will most certainly use that as a bargaining chip.
Not if Alonso has already sign with McLaren as the rumors suggest. In his interview today he made it clear that his decision to leave was what triggered the move of Vettel to Ferrari
And you believe that? Ferrari has been chasing Vettel for yonks, and it would be reasonably safe to assume that the basis of an agreement was made around march or april. It was later in the year when Alonso started his verbal war with Ferrari. He was essentially pushed out. And he is still looking for a drive. But, if Vettel is getting 50m to drive, as rumoured, and Alonso was on half that, then it would appear that Ferrari value Vettel more. Alonso failed to live up to expectations, and is now paying the price.
Even Merc said that they did not want Alonso, but they were chasing Vettel.

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

McLaren chief Ron Dennis has rejected suggestions that his Formula 1 team has already signed Fernando Alonso, even though talks with the Spaniard are at an advanced stage.
"We do not have a contract with any driver at this moment in time. It isn't our priority," he said.
source: autosport
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

McLobby

gilgen wrote: And you believe that? Ferrari has been chasing Vettel for yonks, and it would be reasonably safe to assume that the basis of an agreement was made around march or april. It was later in the year when Alonso started his verbal war with Ferrari. He was essentially pushed out. And he is still looking for a drive. But, if Vettel is getting 50m to drive, as rumoured, and Alonso was on half that, then it would appear that Ferrari value Vettel more. Alonso failed to live up to expectations, and is now paying the price.
Even Merc said that they did not want Alonso, but they were chasing Vettel.
I am not sure what to believe yet.... but I fail to see how Alonso didn't live up to expectations. If he wasn't there
Ferrari would probably be behind McLaren and FI on the standings.
mika vs michael wrote:McLaren chief Ron Dennis has rejected suggestions that his Formula 1 team has already signed Fernando Alonso, even though talks with the Spaniard are at an advanced stage.
"We do not have a contract with any driver at this moment in time. It isn't our priority," he said.
source: autosport
Isn't it normal for them to deny everything before the official announcement?
Look at Mattiachi how he avoids to say anything about Vettel's move although everybody already knows.

Andres125sx

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes Alonso too!)

ringo wrote:It's good for ferrari that Alonso is gone.
:shock:

You just need to look at Massa perfomance last seasson in Ferrari, and now with Williams, or Kimi with Lotus, and now with Ferrari....

Alonso is the only reason Ferrari is not seen as a true mid-fielder similar to Force India