2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ScottB
ScottB

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes ALO and VET too!

RZS10 wrote:
Jackuar wrote:Not following up this thread particularly so not sure if this was speculated before.

Is Alonso planning to buy one of the smaller teams? He could have roped in sponsorship through his contacts and he be kind of a mentorship role?
Why waste his money? Seriously there's nothing to gain by buying one of those small teams :lol:
The theory would be that *IF* F1 introduced proper cost cutting / budget limits, and / or the teams start getting a larger share of the sports income, then in theory the teams could become rather profitable. A small team like Caterham or Marussia could be bought cheap now, but be worth a decent amount later.

Of course there are a lot of ifs in there, I don't personally see it myself. Think he'll stick with his cycling team myself!

SectorOne

Sombrero wrote:Alonso ends his F-1 career ! He said several time that the Scuderia will be his last team. That's obvious.
Doubt it, i think if he wanted to he would have already said it.
The reason its quiet is because of negotiations.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Mesteño

If we take the McLaren option as imposible, because of his relationship with Ron Dennis, then to me the obvious choice is not staying in F1, one year or maybe forever.

'What' is obvious? That there is no seat for him next year. Red Bull confirmed theirs, Merc almost confirmed, Ferrari is looking Vet-Rai. Maybe McLaren was never a choice for him, as I think.

RZS10

Let's get really silly: He'll join STR after whooping everyones ass in the cockpit shootout for the STR10 and will mop the floor with Vettel in his Scuderia Ferrari C4RY513R :D

natehall
natehall

Alonso back to team enstone ;)

Racer X

Racer X thinks Alonso either at McLaren or Lotus will make the team he moves to a podium contender..
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

McLobby

PitLaneTalk
According to La Gazzetta (paperback edition), McLaren offered Lewis Hamilton €40M/year, which he refused at which point all doors at Mercedes closed in front of Alonso. Hamilton and Mercedes verbally agreed on an extension
PitLaneTalk
Fernando Alonso's original contract is with Honda (not McLaren) and it's a 2 + 1 year deal. Salary is €30M/year.
PitLaneTalk
The deal between Alonso and Honda was finalized as soon as Hamilton rejected McLaren's €40M offer and chose to stay at Mercedes.
If this is true and the deal is already done, maybe McLaren wants first to decide which one of their current drivers they'll keep, before making an announcement about their 2015 line up. Probably that's why everyone involved, refuses to talk about it yet, while both current drivers seem a little bit frustrated(/disappointed?) in their interviews

Hail22

I think this gif sums up this years silly season beautifully:

For all we know Alonso could be staying at Ferrari and Vettel will be alongside him, we may or may not see several teams depart Formula 1 thus making room for three car teams. We (F1Technical members and enthusiasts alike) won't know for sure until at least Brazil / Abu Dhabi.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

RZS10

Malteschitz basically confirmed Vettel to Ferrari

smr
smr

The deal between Alonso and Honda was finalized as soon as Hamilton rejected McLaren's €40M offer and chose to stay at Mercedes.

@pitlanetalk

Vasconia

According to some Spanish newspapers(which are not very reliable most of the times) the negotiations between Mclaren and Alonso are not in the best moment. Ron Dennis has realized that Alonso has not a better option than his team so he is trying to change some of the conditions that they had previously agreed.

According to these sources Alonso was trying to sign with Mercedes, but the announcement of Vettel and the almost confirmed deal extention between Hamilton and Mercedes has let him with no more chances than Mclaren.

mikeerfol

Marchionne will officialy be Ferrari president as of today, so expect a few announcements later today?

notsofast
notsofast

Who knows, maybe McLaren will buy out Rosberg's contract, allowing Alonso to go to Mercedes.

turbof1

mikeerfol wrote:Marchionne will officialy be Ferrari president as of today, so expect a few announcements later today?
According to pitlanetalk, Vettel will be officially introduced today.
#AeroFrodo

Thunder

notsofast wrote:Who knows, maybe McLaren will buy out Rosberg's contract, allowing Alonso to go to Mercedes.
What sense would that make?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum