2015 Pre-season Testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2015 Pre-season Testing

damager21 wrote: Following are the fastest laps set during pre-season test at Jerez from 2010 to 2014
http://e0.365dm.com/15/01/660x350/faste ... 0127094852
So this type of info now seems quite relevant.

A 1:20.9 on medium rubber implies to me that at least a high 1:19 should be possible on softer rubber - particularly given the temps where it must be hard to get harder compounds up to temp. Not to mention that I'd be surprised if the Ferrari has done its fastest time of the test + it's still likely the Merc is capable of something quicker (said as a Ferrari fan).

So I think it's reasonable to suggest that they will already do a time faster than was achieved in 2011 and may get close to 2010. Both of which, imo, would be quite remarkable.

turbof1

Guys, I love the invisible front wing humor and their spin offs, I really do, but it's getting a tad out of hand. How about we continue that party in the caption competition thread: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... start=6555

I moved the posts there. But again, it's great humor!
#AeroFrodo

motobaleno

according to AS red Bull is actually without wing due to short spares...so kyvat will be really spanked

motobaleno

new wing is scheduled in the afternoon

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Merc pounding round again getting loads of trouble free data. Going very well. I expect the Merc is loaded fairly well with fuel at the moment. I have an ominous feeling about that car of the type we used to get about the RB.

Ferrari appear to be going very nicely. Only good news for them.

Good mileage for Sauber which is great news from them.

Very impressed with Lotus. I didn't think they'd be anywhere near out today. Those boys know how to pull out the stops and get a car out. =D>

Slight concern for McLaren. This was bound to happen but very surprised the Honda motor won't run cleanly. Not sure what's going on here. Hoping it won't go on for all this test!

Positive signs from Williams. I really like the look of this car.

Impressed also with Toro Rosso. Good laps in comparison to RB.

Felipe 92

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/562207923602853888 Button managed another 3 laps with timed lap of 1m54.655s, 33 s off the pace, and the speed on the pit straight was 190km/h . Boullier : 'There is no big issue on the car. The car looks altogether and drivable like we want. It is just a matter of time to fix little glitches.' Their target for Monday, Boullier said, was to 'run at least 60 laps maybe, that would be nice'."

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Felipe 92 wrote:https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/562207923602853888
Button managed another 3 laps with timed lap of 1m54.655s, 33 s off the pace, and the speed on the pit straight was 190km/h . Boullier : 'There is no big issue on the car. The car looks altogether and drivable like we want. It is just a matter of time to fix little glitches.' Their target for Monday, Boullier said, was to 'run at least 60 laps maybe, that would be nice'."

Do the guys at the teams not have two cars running side by side, so for example if there is a glitch, they can fix that in one car and attempt to get other things done in the second car?

Thunder

Afaik only one Car is allowed for Testing.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Kiril Varbanov

F1 sounds from Jerez - 4 minutes unedited sound:

FW17

Thunders wrote: only one Car is allowed for Testing.
It is one car in track. There is nothing stopping team from having 2 cars in the garage Afaik

Thunder

Really not sure, but if Teams (like seen on the Red Bull Today) can't even produce 2 Front Wings in Time i think they would run into serious Trouble producing 2 Whole Cars.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

FW17

Thunders wrote:Really not sure, but if Teams (like seen on the Red Bull Today) can't even produce 2 Front Wings in Time i think they would run into serious Trouble producing 2 Whole Cars.

Guess logistics is the main reason why they bring only one. Probably some gentlemen's agreement too.

Phil

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Thunders wrote: only one Car is allowed for Testing.
It is one car in track. There is nothing stopping team from having 2 cars in the garage Afaik
I would think it's too costly and a nightmare to manage. Think about it - testing is for testing; the goal is to get lots of data out of possibly many configurations. If they run into problems, they must be solved quickly. If you have two cars, you either need more people or you are splitting them - and problems will be need to be "corrected" on two cars. It's easier to have "1 prototype", work on that, test, solve, manage, run & observe and repeat with all your people focused on one car. If you have two cars and both show different faults, you are in for a nightmare.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Juzh

Kiril Varbanov wrote:F1 sounds from Jerez - 4 minutes unedited sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfkkxWGkxck
Red bull actually looks like the worst handling car in this compilation. It's either under or oversteering trough the last corner.

dobbster71

I would guess that most teams have only produced 1 complete car at this stage. The 2nd chassis will probably be in production, awaiting the results from the first serious test. If there is a fault discovered in the first chassis, the fix can be applied before the second chassis is completed.

Phil beat me to it!!!
WRC is for boys. Group B was for men!
Juha Kankkunen