2015 Pre-season Testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Neno
Neno

Re: 2015 Pre-season Testing

Blanchimont wrote:The 3second gap can be explained very simple. Last year it was the very first time the cars with the V6 hit the track and no team pushed the limits back then. And the last day at Jerez in 2014 was wet, that maybe robbed the teams to go faster than on day 3.
also most of the car's gets faster through season. I dont know how much last year, but in the past second-second and half faster from first race till last race. most of current cars are evolutions of last year cars.

Phil

George-Jung wrote:How do you know they have wasted two days? Perhaps they have learned lots of important stuff..
IMO - Because testing isn't done by a singular entity with a singular use-case. It's more modular than that. You have various aspects of the car; you have a very (new) complex PU, you have the aerodynamics, the packaging, not least also the driver too who is part of the whole equation in working with the team etc. The way I see it, testing isn't just about some binary test-case - it's an opportunity for each devision that is working on the car to see their parts in action and the car work as a package. If one part fails and the car is sitting in the garage most of the time, how are the other parts of the car that also benefit from testing and gaining data benefiting at all? They are not.

At least if you have a running car, you are not only accumulating data off the running PU, but other important variables as well: Aerodynamic aspects, heat issues, how the packaging is working in practice, even balance of the car.

Now, I'm not saying this to make it sound as if McLaren/Honda are doomed. But on a scale from 1-10, 10 being the best-case, they are not even close on the upper half of the scale with how they are going. There is still time though - but if and how far they are behind, really depends on how well their car in the lab and in theory starts working in the real world - and how close that will be to the competition that is racking up lap after lap, gaining lots of data and have a year of running experience under race-conditions... right now, since 2 days.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Hail22

Sounds fine to me on day 3 down the main straight:

so let's all:

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Vasconia

Rosberg, Kimi and Sainz are giving some fun to the fans in Jerez with their "battle" for times.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Hail22 wrote:Sounds fine to me on day 3 down the main straight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fCYIYCNEXs
Sounds fine on a smart phone, but FOM micros will probably try to kill the sound during GPs. :mrgreen:
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Hail22

Yeah and now the user has removed the video...hmmm :|
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

f1316
f1316

What ever happened to that (was it Russian?) site which showed complete, live, lap time data?

I've looked through the links on page 1 and didn't see it listed or anything similar (sorry if I've missed it); is there no way to track the times live any more?

agf1
agf1

f1316 wrote:What ever happened to that (was it Russian?) site which showed complete, live, lap time data?

I've looked through the links on page 1 and didn't see it listed or anything similar (sorry if I've missed it); is there no way to track the times live any more?
Do you mean this one? It is Greek though.

http://www.msfree.gr/?page=post&id=32828

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

The Russian site was http://f1tests.info/2013.php , you still see the 2013 times there. He probably was contacted by FOM lawyers...
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Scarbs mentioned on Autosport live feed @ 10.05am he's seen a very interesting secret that he can soon reveal. Anyone know what he's spotted?

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Merc broken down. There's hope out there for the others! Still not knocked out all their reliability gremlins although it is a new car and early testing.

ismail1991
ismail1991

Alexgtt wrote:Merc broken down. There's hope out there for the others! Still not knocked out all their reliability gremlins although it is a new car and early testing.
While others can't pass 50 laps, Mercedes being broken down after 90 laps does not mean hope for others in my opinion

WaikeCU

ismail1991 wrote:
Alexgtt wrote:Merc broken down. There's hope out there for the others! Still not knocked out all their reliability gremlins although it is a new car and early testing.
While others can't pass 50 laps, Mercedes being broken down after 90 laps does not mean hope for others in my opinion
Plus the 157 laps he did on Sunday

f1316
f1316

Ok thanks. I had seen the Greek one yeah but it was the one blanchimont posted that I meant.

Shame if they did force him (or her!) to stop because it was a way to make it better for fans. They should do their own for tests (or televise the whole thing...)

Artur Craft

Blanchimont wrote:The Russian site was http://f1tests.info/2013.php , you still see the 2013 times there. He probably was contacted by FOM lawyers...
This site was the best but I think it was/is Spanish. Last year, when it stopped covering, people were already speculating this(FOM intervention, that is).