2015 Pre-season Testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Daliracing

Re: 2015 Pre-season Testing

Found this on youtube First day of testing.

zagor
zagor

Well 1:34 is quite telling. McLearn/Honda have built a nice rally car. Good luck with that!!! And apparently wets are mounted! Yuk!!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vVdxGnlpLJk

Moose
Moose

zagor wrote:Well 1:34 is quite telling. McLearn/Honda have built a nice rally car. Good luck with that!!! And apparently wets are mounted! Yuk!!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vVdxGnlpLJk
I don't think 1:34 is telling at all. You see the McLaren go past quite happily in control another couple of times. It's just a case of Fernando losing it. Not surprising given that they'll have done near 0 setup work, and basically be testing "can the engine run for more than 20 laps".

zeph
zeph

I know you can't draw conclusions from pre-season testing, but if today is any indication, it sure looks like Alonso made another bad career choice. That McLaren looked very tail-happy. I can't imagine how he would feel if Ferrari turns out to have a competitive car.

Moose
Moose

zeph wrote:I know you can't draw conclusions from pre-season testing, but if today is any indication, it sure looks like Alonso made another bad career choice. That McLaren looked very tail-happy. I can't imagine how he would feel if Ferrari turns out to have a competitive car.
Honestly, I don't understand why people are reading so much into not just one single video, but a single lap in that video. Every other time Alonso comes past, the car looks perfectly drivable. Alonso just made a mistake, which isn't entirely surprising given that they likely have put exactly 0 effort into setting the car up so far.

zeph
zeph

You're probably right. I'm just worried.

giantfan10
giantfan10

NathanOlder wrote:@giantfan10
im sure your find the 2007 was very much a Schumacher car, built and designed with him in the team in 2006, then the guy never really left for a fewbyears. The 2008 car had the same DNA as the 07 car so arguably still smelt of Schumacher. New rules in 09, no schumacher, the team stinks ever since. Simple :wink:

anyway forget it, back to testing as this thread is for.
yea we should go back to testing after that spin cycle....if the 2015 and 2016 Ferrari have success its because of Alonso lol using your logic......
anyway enough...

Juzh

f1316 wrote: They might be running a lot more wing, I guess.
Difference in wing level would have to dramatic for that much speed deficit, which we know is not the case. You'd need something like RB-level monza wings (or lack of) to be that much faster with the same engine. And even then it's a stretch. Frankly, I don't think ferrari is pushing it nowhere near the limit.

Chene_Mostert

I have a question.
If during testing two cars fill up with 30 laps worth of fuel and car "A" does 5X3 lap stints and car "B" does 1X15 lap stint, would it then be considered as car "A" running lighter than car "B"?
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Steven
Owner

If he'd get new tyres on second or this stint yes. Then he's running ligher on those stints.
However, running lighter is nothing but theory, as we just don't know how much fuel teams put into their cars. Some may be running full tanks for 10 laps, others possibly just enough to complete the laps. We don't know, and it's rather pointless to speculate about really...

Anyway, It's been raining here quite hard this night, so the track is again damp this morning. It's also just 6 degrees this morning, but the skies are clearing so should warm up when the sun comes out.

WaikeCU

Chene_Mostert wrote:I have a question.
If during testing two cars fill up with 30 laps worth of fuel and car "A" does 5X3 lap stints and car "B" does 1X15 lap stint, would it then be considered as car "A" running lighter than car "B"?
No it doesn't. Both cars are the same on fuel. The main difference is that car A would get more fresh tires. 5 times new rubbers. While car B will be on 15 laps old tires by the end of its stint. Car A only has 3 laps old tires. Add to that, after each time it pits, the front wing of car A can be tweaked to add more front end aero grip. So therefor car A laptimes should be faster than car B.

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:Did Spain's high unemployment rate help fill the grandstands?

Looks like there are more people there than at a IndyCar race
Probably, lots of unemployed people in that area.
Sure you need to be unemployed to go to the racetrack on a beautiful sunday... :roll:
Also on a beautiful tuesday? :D

Assistance has been quite good during the week, which is difficult when you have to work. Anyway I am impressed with people´s loyalty to Alonso.

Focusing on what we saw yesterday, Mercedes and Ferrari continue to giva good impression. Lotus is looking good too and Saut is doing a lot of milleage, sure they are running with very light fuel but I was expecting something worse.

And about Mclaren, its too early but at least they could run more, lets see if today they can run at least 40-50 laps and showing some pace.

Artur Craft

Steven wrote: Anyway, It's been raining here quite hard this night, so the track is again damp this morning. It's also just 6 degrees this morning, but the skies are clearing so should warm up when the sun comes out.
I guess today we'll see higher temps, Steven?

AMuS is already reporting 8ºC and on the first two days they were reporting 2-3ºC at this early minutes of the testing

Chene_Mostert

WaikeCU wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote:I have a question.
No it doesn't. Both cars are the same on fuel. The main difference is that car A would get more fresh tires. 5 times new rubbers. While car B will be on 15 laps old tires by the end of its stint. Car A only has 3 laps old tires. Add to that, after each time it pits, the front wing of car A can be tweaked to add more front end aero grip. So therefor car A laptimes should be faster than car B.
Only if they choose to fit new tyres.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

max_speed
max_speed

i am getting slightly nervous with mclaren honda now . start of today not going well , just after a lap , body covers are off and engineers taking a look at rear , first two days i was ok that they are having issues but on fourth day , extra year worth of information from mclaren on mercedes engine and still no decent running.