2015 Pre-season Testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
turbof1

Re: 2015 Pre-season Testing

Would you please stop with such posts?

Changing and overhauling the complete aero of the car nowadays brings you only 1 second at most. Teams are very deep into the diminishing returns.

Mercedes is not showing its pure performance and neither is Ferrari, they both have a bit in the pocket. How much we do not know, but you are dreaming if it's anywhere near 5 seconds.

Ferrari being consistently quicker only means they have an entirely different program. They are focussing on shorter runs, Mercedes is on longer. For all the rest the laptimes from anybody means squad.
#AeroFrodo

KingHamilton01

NathanOlder wrote:
KingHamilton01 wrote:Just a thought for those who constantly mention how little McLaren Honda have ran etc, Red Bull only ran 21 lap's in the whole jerez test last season and to my knowledge McLaren have ran over 70 Lap's so far!
But red bull didnt have a couple of days in abu dahbi in November to run the new engine like mclaren and honda did. Those 2 days should have meant the could be consistently running in Jerez
I don't think you can compare those day's to this test, New car and tighter packaging mean they were setting out not knowing how anything would respond. The first couple of day's have highlighted that because McLaren is so aggressive it have caused teething problem's.

Anyway I think McLaren can be pleased with what they have achieved this week, yes they would have liked more running and faster lap times but at this stage it isn't about chasing lap times. They need more data to go away and learn how to make the car more reliable, this in turn will mean more running and then they can add performance.
McLaren Mercedes

Sebp

Does anyone have the 2016 rules handy? I can't shake the feeling something will be done against the ever more extreme rakes of the cars. For whatever good that'll do.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Chene_Mostert

turbof1 wrote:Would you please stop with such posts?

Changing and overhauling the complete aero of the car nowadays brings you only 1 second at most. Teams are very deep into the diminishing returns.

Mercedes is not showing its pure performance and neither is Ferrari, they both have a bit in the pocket. How much we do not know, but you are dreaming if it's anywhere near 5 seconds.

Ferrari being consistently quicker only means they have an entirely different program. They are focussing on shorter runs, Mercedes is on longer. For all the rest the laptimes from anybody means squad.
Could it be possible that Merc is deeper into diminishing returns than the competition? They did hit the ground running last season with a near perfect PU and car package?
Is it possible that other teams gauged themselves against the" near perfect" as a development target and that they will close the gap significantly since they have more room for improvement and considering the tight regulations regarding PU and car design?
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

motobaleno

folks you keep on speculating about merc vs ferrari laptimes! that could be pointless for the reasons depicted above...but ferrari laptimes vs all other team except merc
that's starting to be interesting...I would prefer to read your speculations about this

Chene_Mostert

motobaleno wrote:folks you keep on speculating about merc vs ferrari laptimes! that could be pointless for the reasons depicted above...but ferrari laptimes vs all other team except merc
that's starting to be interesting...I would prefer to read your speculations about this
Why exclude Merc, and why is it pointless? have all teams except merc now stopped developing their cars?
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

motobaleno

Chene_Mostert wrote: Why exclude Merc, and why is it pointless? have all teams except merc now stopped developing their cars?
Because there are plenty of reasons most of them already explained above: I would add an important political one for me: merc does not want to show its overwhelming superiority before next strategy group meeting.
this does not mean that it is ABSOLUTELY SURE that merc is not pushing but it is really extremely likely ...while, in my opinion it is oppositely extremely unlikely that ALL other teams except ferrari are not pushing

Felipe 92

Chene_Mostert wrote:Well if what scarbs is saying is true, that around 90% of the completely new Merc is old parts. Then they might be 13 sec faster than the rest...
I don`t get it. Are you serious or sarcastic about 13 s ?

Vasconia

KingHamilton01 wrote:Just a thought for those who constantly mention how little McLaren Honda have ran etc, Red Bull only ran 21 lap's in the whole jerez test last season and to my knowledge McLaren have ran over 70 Lap's so far!
Last years pre-season tests were a total disaster for RB, I dont know how they achieved to be competitive in Melbourne. Anyway its good to see that Mclren has done almost 35 laps today, too few but its something. It seems that Button has had another problem... #-o

Chene_Mostert

motobaleno wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote: Why exclude Merc, and why is it pointless? have all teams except merc now stopped developing their cars?
Because there are plenty of reasons most of them already explained above: I would add an important political one for me: merc does not want to show its overwhelming superiority before next strategy group meeting.
this does not mean that it is ABSOLUTELY SURE that merc is not pushing but it is really extremely likely ...while, in my opinion it is oppositely extremely unlikely that ALL other teams except ferrari are not pushing
No reasons have been stated or explained. Only speculated.

mikeerfol

Fuel pump issue for Button.

turbof1

Chene_Mostert wrote:
motobaleno wrote:
We all are speculating, including you. None of us have any proof of the true intentions.

However, there are enough arguments in favor of Mercedes holding back. Infact, and this is a statement coming from the team itself, is that they are not interested at all in quick runs. They are only doing runs with maximum fuel load.

Further fact is that they are running rakes of aero sensors. Now I can tell you that you don't want that breaking off on a kerb because you were pushing the car.

Mercedes out on collecting data, and collecting data requires driving smoothly and easy, not pushing.
#AeroFrodo

Chene_Mostert

turbof1 wrote:
motobaleno wrote:

We all are speculating, including you. None of us have any proof of the true intentions.

However, there are enough arguments in favor of Mercedes holding back. Infact, and this is a statement coming from the team itself, is that they are not interested at all in quick runs. They are only doing runs with maximum fuel load.
Ron Dennis also made a press statement on day one, saying they have no problems, only two sensors not "talking nicely with each other" and they would be running...
Again, is there any supporting evidence for the argument that Merc is holding back?
Majority acceptance of an argument does not qualify the argument to be necessarily true and correct.

turbof1

Ok, I'm giving you a friendly warning now to stop trolling. You can try to continue trolling, but I can guarantee you the end result will not please you.
#AeroFrodo

WaikeCU

Anyhooo, Lewis just hit the 100 lap mark!